any drills for improving

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
See the compression thread and drills, most people will expend power too early in their swing although it is possible to go the other way.

Maximum speed will be reached just before impact (as impact will slow the club down), but it may help to try to get maximum power about 2 foot through impact (when both arms are fully extended). So it's the old story of transporting a flat left wrist and bend right arm into impact.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What is the smash factor. How is it measured etc?

Its the relationship between clubhead speed and ball speed, this results in a factor. Something like a Factor of 1.4 would be a reasonable result with a driver.

The factor is affected by such things as the clubhead speed, where the ball is struck on the clubface, the spin produced, the launch angle of the ball and the COR of the clubface. The factor will be lower as the club becomes more lofted and the blow is more accute creating more spin.

The pro's and top club fitters use a device called 'Trackman' to measure their 'smash factor'

Last edited:
S

Snelly

I have read this description several times and still don't quite understand it nor what relevance it has. If you want to hit the ball better then practice until you can.

A smash factor won't help you find the middle of the fairway, hit the green with your approach, improve your touch around the greens or assist you in sinking a downhill 4 footer to halve the match on the last green.

Forget about smash factors would be my advice.....

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have read this description several times and still don't quite understand it nor what relevance it has. If you want to hit the ball better then practice until you can.

A smash factor won't help you find the middle of the fairway, hit the green with your approach, improve your touch around the greens or assist you in sinking a downhill 4 footer to halve the match on the last green.

It's just a measure of your efficiency of strike. Divide ball speed by club head speed. The higher the number the better. 1.5 been good with a driver. A person can hit he ball further for the same swing speed as someone with a less efficient strike other things been equal.

I would agree that the short game has a large bearing on your ability to score. However, some might argue that if you've got a good smash factor, it would likely indicate a flat left wrist and bent right arm been transported into impact with an on plane swing. As such these elements would likely help you in other areas, including the short game, distance control and accuracy.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Tend to agree with Snelly on this. Smash factor is a result of good efficient technique. It's an interesting measure of efficiency, but it will happen as a result of a good swing which is the best goal, rather than working to improve smash factor in isolation.

Timing, rhythm, good release, lag.... all contribute to better smash factor.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you want to be the best golfer you can be and reach your full potential then understanding and improving your SF is part of the program.

The short game is one thing the long game another and both need to be played well otherwise you will be disadvantaged. Someone who has a good SF will hit the ball better than someone with a lesser one. Of course tempo, swing plane, etc are all factors that result in good ball contact but none of them are able to be measured precisely. The only thing that the ball understands is the way the clubface strikes it, it cares nothing about swing plane, tempo, out to in, in to out, release, shoulder turn etc.

A device like Trackman can tell you exactly how the clubface struck the ball and it can give you the result as a Smash Factor. OK, we dont all have access to this technology but those that do, like the Tour Pro's and Gurus like Brian Manzella use it. Why? Because it gives them precise feedback on how they strike the ball.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you want to be the best golfer you can be and reach your full potential then understanding and improving your SF is part of the program.

The short game is one thing the long game another and both need to be played well otherwise you will be disadvantaged. Someone who has a good SF will hit the ball better than someone with a lesser one. Of course tempo, swing plane, etc are all factors that result in good ball contact but none of them are able to be measured precisely. The only thing that the ball understands is the way the clubface strikes it, it cares nothing about swing plane, tempo, out to in, in to out, release, shoulder turn etc.

A device like Trackman can tell you exactly how the clubface struck the ball and it can give you the result as a Smash Factor. OK, we dont all have access to this technology but those that do, like the Tour Pro's and Gurus like Brian Manzella use it. Why? Because it gives them precise feedback on how they strike the ball.

I take the point but I still think its a red herring for amateurs to be thinking too much about it when we do not have any regular access to trackman. In the end I think we are better focussing on technique, and the better smash factor will follow as a consequence.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I take the point but I still think its a red herring for amateurs to be thinking too much about it when we do not have any regular access to trackman. In the end I think we are better focussing on technique, and the better smash factor will follow as a consequence.

Surely though if you are playing from the higher end of the handicap scale down to around the 11 or 12 mark then a repeatable swing and an efficient short game and putting technique are more viable commoditites than trying to get the best SF you can. For many that is going to lead to nothing more than swinging too fast and trying to hit it too hard with all the detriment that brings.

I can see how as you get better the necessity to get a purer strike for optimum distance and control is more important but again I know a lot of single figure guys who would have average SF numbers at best but have perfected a way to get it round in par without ever worrying about Trackman, distances or any other sort of number. To me its a red herring for too many

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Surely though if you are playing from the higher end of the handicap scale down to around the 11 or 12 mark then a repeatable swing and an efficient short game and putting technique are more viable commoditites than trying to get the best SF you can. For many that is going to lead to nothing more than swinging too fast and trying to hit it too hard with all the detriment that brings.

I can see how as you get better the necessity to get a purer strike for optimum distance and control is more important but again I know a lot of single figure guys who would have average SF numbers at best but have perfected a way to get it round in par without ever worrying about Trackman, distances or any other sort of number. To me its a red herring for too many

I understand where you are at the moment but I would suggest that the better contact you make between clubhead and ball is what every golfer should strive for, no matter what their handicap.

This is the same for the long, medium and short game. Good impact will assist to improve anyones game. Try to detach your focus on the many complex issues that are discussed in golf and zone in on the way the clubhead should make impact with the ball. If it's a driver, fairway wood, hybrid,iron, wedge or putter, impact is still the crutial factor.

Try to think outside the box and instead of getting hung up on how your body works in the golf swing think only about the clubhead and ball. You may be surprised how this approach can free you from the convential straight jacket of learning.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
So what you are saying, is the truer and cleaner I hit the ball. The more power will be generated for a given swing speed. So a smooth swing with a good hand release and clean contact will have a better S/f, than someone who tries to knock the skin off the ball with poor hand realise etc? Must admit I worry less about how I get there. Than hitting cleanly from the sweet spot. With a swing I can repeat.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So what you are saying, is the truer and cleaner I hit the ball. The more power will be generated for a given swing speed. So a smooth swing with a good hand release and clean contact will have a better S/f, than someone who tries to knock the skin off the ball with poor hand realise etc? Must admit I worry less about how I get there. Than hitting cleanly from the sweet spot. With a swing I can repeat.

Thats absolutely correct. IMHO

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Thats absolutely correct. IMHO

I'd agree, except about the hand release part. As far as I'm aware, the only thing that affects SF is how good a contact you make with the ball.
A poor release might make you way off target or lose you a few mph in club speed and some distance off the ball, but a perfect strike on a slow swing will still give a high SF.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd agree, except about the hand release part. As far as I'm aware, the only thing that affects SF is how good a contact you make with the ball.
A poor release might make you way off target or lose you a few mph in club speed and some distance off the ball, but a perfect strike on a slow swing will still give a high SF.

A good SF will result in more resultant ball speed from your clubhead speed. Ideally you want a high swing speed with a good SF. But, if you cannot control the clubhead at high speed then you should swing at a speed you can control and work on making better and better impact conditions with the ball so that you get the best of what you have.

MikeTimbers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Depends on your handicap as to whether this is something you should be working on. Eliminate 3-putts and you'll probably knock 2-5 shots off your handicap. Escape from greenside bunkers every time and that's another shot. Learn some strategy, spend 2/3 of your practise at the short-game area.

All those are far more important than working on your smash factor.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Depends on your handicap as to whether this is something you should be working on. Eliminate 3-putts and you'll probably knock 2-5 shots off your handicap. Escape from greenside bunkers every time and that's another shot. Learn some strategy, spend 2/3 of your practise at the short-game area.

All those are far more important than working on your smash factor.

Please read my post at #9 in this thread. I did suggest that the short game was also a major factor in becoming a good golfer.

If you want to be the best golfer you can be then you cannot afford to ignore any part of your game.