Any clubs closed ?

ferenezejohn

Visit site
Email from club today, said a mixture has been left in the captain's parking bay , so that any member walking the course for exercise can repair divots.
Social distancing applies and must have own container.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Email from club today, said a mixture has been left in the captain's parking bay , so that any member walking the course for exercise can repair divots.
Social distancing applies and must have own container.

Must have plenty members close by, that can walk to the course, repair divots and get home within the hour.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Think if anybody phoned the police to say someone is playing golf they would be waiting a long time or probably told that it's not a priority. Do you really think the police are interested in people who are probably by themselves or with one other playing golf ? They would go and split up a crowd in a park etc but they would have to be extremely short of things to do before they got round to golfers ?

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
When I was growing up I used to skip on courses all the time as parents didn't have any money. Used to get the odd member asking if you were a member etc, we'll phone the police, aye you go ahead I'm sure they'll be here in a flash. Cant say I ever ran into the police on or near a golf course

Chico84

Visit site
Took the dog and my daughter for a walk on Wimbledon common earlier. The course is closed, quite sensibly. I was pretty peed off that we were nearly hit by a couple of balls. Some moron had decided it was a great idea to let his kids go and whack balls around the course (not in any particular order - the balls came in off a different fairway to the green we were walking past.

He looked pretty sheepish when he realised what had happened, so clearly aware that what they were doing was stupid and dangerous. If the course is open you look out for golfers in red shirts and are aware of balls being hit. If the course is closed you don’t expect to have to dodge golf balls.

I’m all for kids getting appropriate exercise given the current situation (they were decent shots too) but taking advantage of a closed course and putting others in danger is idiotic. Apologies for the rant.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Read that to and I still struggle to understand why!
i'm with you on that, a twist of the truth for the sake of a story, first one to go will be Golspie, they have been close to going under the last few years and member numbers really dropped, then Tain for the same reason. less and less people up there playing the raise in costs meant that guys who might have once been members at 2 or even 3 clubs are now down to just the one, fair few of those were Dornoch members.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It has been arguable for many years, that the R&A push 30 years ago to get more clubs to open in the UK, was a big mistake. My guess is that we are 10% over provided.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i'm with you on that, a twist of the truth for the sake of a story, first one to go will be Golspie, they have been close to going under the last few years and member numbers really dropped, then Tain for the same reason. less and less people up there playing the raise in costs meant that guys who might have once been members at 2 or even 3 clubs are now down to just the one, fair few of those were Dornoch members.
Surprised you say Tain might struggle that would be real shame as I really enjoyed playing there.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Surprised you say Tain might struggle that would be real shame as I really enjoyed playing there.
no might about it was struggling before all this, less than 200 members now i think, club needed the Open that was due this weekend for an influx of cash.

Brora is possively well off compaired to Tain, and Golspie is worse of than Tain