Another "wrong ball" thread

Oxfordcomma

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hello all

I'm pretty sure I know what the answers to this one are but thought it was worth checking and then also asking a question.

In my round yesterday, my two FCs played their shots onto the green and ended up 3 inches apart. As it's a bounce game they're both using old balls out of the bag and it turns out they were both playing Srixon Softfeels that had red pen marks. One had a red dot, one had a red circle round the number. Different and recognisable, but very similar.

FC1 arrives at the green first, marks the closer of the two balls and picks it up, tells FC2 that it's him to play. FC2's ball has no mark visible, the red circle is facing downwards. So, FC2 plays the ball, misses the putt, taps in for his 2 points. FC1 then replaces his ball and FC2 immediately spots his own mark and tells FC1 that he has marked the wrong ball. (actually, he put it rather more strongly than that!! FC indeed. Good thing they're very old friends.)

So first of all confirmation - if this had been a qualifier, we were all agreed that FC2 is responsible for checking his own ball and should have a 2-stroke penalty. He's played the wrong ball, Rule 15-3. Looking afterwards, I initially thought that that FC1 should also have had a penalty under 18-3 but actually that only applies to matchplay, 18-4 for strokeplay says that FC1 has no penalty. Do these interpretations sound correct to the rules gurus out there?

And if I'm correct in that, here's the question - does that not just seem wrong? If you pick up the wrong ball and mislead your mate into playing yours, innocently or not, shouldn't you also get some form of penalty?

Oxfordcomma

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
TO be honest the answer to your question is no. It is the players responsibility to make sure he is playing the correct ball.

Yes, absolutely, and so it's correct for him to get the penalty. It just seemed to me that they both made a mistake, so both should have a penalty. The rules also seem clear that in matchplay both would be penalised, so I wondered why the guy lifting the wrong ball gets away with it in one form but not the other?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, absolutely, and so it's correct for him to get the penalty. It just seemed to me that they both made a mistake, so both should have a penalty. The rules also seem clear that in matchplay both would be penalised, so I wondered why the guy lifting the wrong ball gets away with it in one form but not the other?

In strokeplay a Fellow Competitor is also an Outside Agency and is treated as such in this case.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

I see where you are coming from with this post, it is harsh to end up with a penalty thanks to a FC.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
The one stroke penalty to a player in matchplay for lifting his opponent's ball wouldn't be too painful if his opponent then played the wrong ball and thus lost the hole.