Another ridiculous Ref decision...

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ireland = the new sheffield Utd of football in terms of moaning.

So as was posted earlier....... How do you think the English camp may have taken the ordeal if it were them and france that had played.

Iv no doubt that there would have been alot more noise caused!

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
PARMO---Dont agree we are a moaning nation--we felt hard done by just like the english after maradona in 1986.

In my opinion Henrys foul is no worse than a player pulling a jersey of an opponent to gain an advantage. Its up to the officials to pick up the fouls.
Video refs are the only option but we all know FIFA will not go down this route.

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ireland = the new sheffield Utd of football in terms of moaning.

So as was posted earlier....... How do you think the English camp may have taken the ordeal if it were them and france that had played.

Iv no doubt that there would have been alot more noise caused!

We'd have smashed up Paris in retaliation!!!

Both Sheffield United and Ireland have been the victim of a huge injustice which has/will cost them millions. Sheffield United should have remained in the Premiership at the expense of West Ham who should have been docked points so their fate is a slightly different one. Ireland - the ref should have blown for offside and then the handball. He didn't, the goal stands and Ireland are out. These kind of injustices happen all the time and will continue to do so. In my opinion they'll get worse as well - the refs have their ear pieces in - if they're reffing a big game - say Chelsea/Barca and UEFA want Barca to go through someone simply sends a message to the ref stating their intended outcome. It's then up to the ref to affect the game accordingly. :D

Gustavo

Head Pro
Visit site
These things, unfortunately, happen all the time in professional football. Whether it be handballs, fouls, dives, booking wrong players, elbowing etc, it happens. The Irish should be embarrassed about how much fuss they've made, FFS to ask for a reply is pathetic. I never thought I'd agree with Roy Keane on anything, but on this case I totally do. Get over it.

To state an example of another football injustice, let me take you back to 1977.................

Wales v Scotland, a 'home' qualifier, where a win would almost guarantee Wales a trip to the World Cup Finals.

For some bizarre reason, the Welsh FA requested the 'home' game to be moved from Ninian Park to Anfield. I believe the official line was for crowd safety, but it was probably more to do with money generation.

78th minute, a throw in to Scotland. Up jumps Joe Jordan who promptly punches the ball towards the Wales goal, the referee decides to award Scotland with a penalty ?!?!? Masson places the ball, and then thumps it into the back of the net.

The referee making a wrong decision is something I can live with, sometimes they go your way, sometimes they don't.

There is one thing that still upsets me to this day, and that is the way Joe Jordan celebrated when the ref awarded the penalty, he ran around punching the air and celebrating like he'd just scored the goal of the season. I can still see his face grimacing and shouting 'Yes'. Grrrr.

Ah well, these things happen.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is one thing that still upsets me to this day, and that is the way Joe Jordan celebrated when the ref awarded the penalty, he ran around punching the air and celebrating like he'd just scored the goal of the season. I can still see his face grimacing and shouting 'Yes'. Grrrr.

Is it the gloating that keeps things fresh? Maradonna was not exactly bashful. Perhaps a bit of humility at the time would help these sores go away.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I remember Derby v Fulham where a draw would have been good enough to put Fulham into Division 1. Derby were leading 1-0 but in the last 10 minutes Fulham were all over them. Derby fans invaded the pitch several times and in the end the referee blew up three minures early. It should have been replayed as an abandoned fixture according to the laws of the game but the FA bottled it.

Gustavo

Head Pro
Visit site
Gustavo that was a stonewaller as was Davie Coops pen in 85.

Hmmm. Jordan and the rest of the Scots in long sleeve BLUE shirts, the Welsh squad in short sleeves and RED.

A definition of a stone-waller would be to watch Gary Caldwell practising his judo on Simon Church during Wales' demolition of Scotland (again) a few Saturdays ago, why the ref didn't award us a penalty I don't know but I'll settle for 3-0.

Gustavo

Head Pro
Visit site
[/QUOTE] Is it the gloating that keeps things fresh? Maradonna was not exactly bashful. Perhaps a bit of humility at the time would help these sores go away.

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. I can whole heartedly accept that sometimes ref's get it wrong, but I'll never forget the way Jordan pumped his fist in celebration and the look of glee on his toothless face. He still won't admit it to this day, even though there is plenty of footage available on the likes of youtube etc.

C'est la vie though.