Another milestone hit. Went 18 holes without losing my ball.

Bassfisher

Visit site
Hi, I’m at a similar stage as you, it soon became clear that I had to develop a really good short game to make up for my lack of a reliable long game.
The club I joined has a really good practice hole that has 100 yd approach, I love it there!
Forget the range can’t you find somewhere to chip/ etc 10 - 50 yds?
I bought a used 52 degree 8 bounce wedge and trying create a relationship with it, it’s going pretty well at the moment.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Hi, I’m at a similar stage as you, it soon became clear that I had to develop a really good short game to make up for my lack of a reliable long game.
The club I joined has a really good practice hole that has 100 yd approach, I love it there!
I bought a used 52 degree 8 bounce wedge and trying create a relationship with it, it’s going pretty well at the moment.

Hello pal, haven’t been on here much so late to reply but yes great shout. I purchased a 58 degree Ping glide wedge and it’s probably my favourite club.

Also invested in a cheap ripe chipper which is fantastic in and around the green.

Im consistently going round in my mid 80’s now thanks those new weapons but my putting has come on leaps and bounds within the last 2 weeks so very happy with my progress 6 months in ?️‍♂️ ?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
???

Golf is easier with a v good short game as it takes the pressure off your long game and means you can adopt a more conservative approach to tricky tee shots knowing you can still par the hole if you play it well.

My short game has always been a bit pants, mostly because I haven’t practiced it enough. Consequently whether I have a good day with my driver dictates my score.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Played a different course today which is a lot longer than my home club and it’s made me realise I struggle to hit greens (or fairways) if it’s anything more than 150 yards out . Which basically means my 7,6 and 5 irons are pretty much useless and very unpredictable. Even before the shot is taken I know it’s going to go wrong.

Why can I hit my S,G,P, 9 and 8 sweet but anything lower I’m in the rough.

I feel if I could hit the ball straight from anywhere between 150-190 I would probably shave another 5-10 strokes off my game.

All my clubs are the same length aswell so my address and swing are practically the same for every shot.

Would I need to position my left leg more on the inside of the ball for these lower irons?

Or is it some sort of psychological issue going on up there as I never feel confident when I’m pulling out a lower iron.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Played a different course today which is a lot longer than my home club and it’s made me realise I struggle to hit greens (or fairways) if it’s anything more than 150 yards out . Which basically means my 7,6 and 5 irons are pretty much useless and very unpredictable. Even before the shot is taken I know it’s going to go wrong.

Why can I hit my S,G,P, 9 and 8 sweet but anything lower I’m in the rough.

I feel if I could hit the ball straight from anywhere between 150-190 I would probably shave another 5-10 strokes off my game.

All my clubs are the same length aswell so my address and swing are practically the same for every shot.

Would I need to position my left leg more on the inside of the ball for these lower irons?

Or is it some sort of psychological issue going on up there as I never feel confident when I’m pulling out a lower iron.
The bit in bold.
Practice those until you have confidence.

sunshine

Visit site
???

Golf is easier with a v good short game as it takes the pressure off your long game and means you can adopt a more conservative approach to tricky tee shots knowing you can still par the hole if you play it well.

My short game has always been a bit pants, mostly because I haven’t practiced it enough. Consequently whether I have a good day with my driver dictates my score.

Golf is easier with a v good long game as it takes the pressure off your short game and means you can adopt a more confident / aggressive approach to tricky tee shots knowing you can still find the fairway / keep it in play.

My short game has always been consistently good. Consequently whether I have a good day with my driver dictates my score.

Golf's a funny game, different for all of us :)

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I love this thread man. You sound like me a year ago... A year later Ive shaved 3 shots off my handicap and 4 off my best ever score but still trying to break 80.

Keep it up, look forward to reading about your progress

Bamberdele21

Visit site
I love this thread man. You sound like me a year ago... A year later Ive shaved 3 shots off my handicap and 4 off my best ever score but still trying to break 80.

Keep it up, look forward to reading about your progress

Cheers pal. What you playing off and how often do you get out?

Ive played a lot recently to the point where I went 87, 86, 85 in a row pretty much hitting my peak. But then played a different track at the weekend which is much longer and felt like an absolute monster to what I’m used to. I then played my home track the next day (Monday gone) and shot my worst score for the past 25 rounds of 100. My back / muscles are really giving me grief so the only conclusion I have from that poor round is that I have burnt myself out and I am now having a 3 day break.

I just want to get back on the course to be fair. I’m constantly looking at weather reports to pencil myself in. I’ve got a mate who is flexible with his working hours so it’s easy to have a round with someone and looking back at it I have probably spent more time with him over the last 2/3 months than I have with my family.

I’m constantly telling the misses this is just a seasonal thing and I’m making the most of the good weather before the winter kicks in but I’m already looking at double canopy umbrellas, waterproofs, mid layers and holidays abroad so she really doesn’t know what’s coming ?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Cheers pal. What you playing off and how often do you get out?

Ive played a lot recently to the point where I went 87, 86, 85 in a row pretty much hitting my peak. But then played a different track at the weekend which is much longer and felt like an absolute monster to what I’m used to. I then played my home track the next day (Monday gone) and shot my worst score for the past 25 rounds of 100. My back / muscles are really giving me grief so the only conclusion I have from that poor round is that I have burnt myself out and I am now having a 3 day break.

I just want to get back on the course to be fair. I’m constantly looking at weather reports to pencil myself in. I’ve got a mate who is flexible with his working hours so it’s easy to have a round with someone and looking back at it I have probably spent more time with him over the last 2/3 months than I have with my family.

I’m constantly telling the misses this is just a seasonal thing and I’m making the most of the good weather before the winter kicks in but I’m already looking at double canopy umbrellas, waterproofs, mid layers and holidays abroad so she really doesn’t know what’s coming ?

Honestly I'd say I play about 5 times a week on average. 9 holes x3 and 2 rounds of 18. By all means you may have more talent than me but you sound very similar! After shooting 84 last year I thought it would be weeks till I broke it again, took almost 11 months!! Handicap down to 16.5 now, hoping to keep chipping away at that though, might break into 15 before the end of September with one good round!

Love to see someone else get bit by the bug though, I played through last winter (when we werent locked down) - nothing better than a frosty morning on the course! The Mrs will learn! Keep it up mate!