Another milestone hit. Went 18 holes without losing my ball.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Just thought I’d share this on here just like I did with my ‘eagle thread’ etc just because the misses just doesn’t quite understand.

So I’m 16 weeks in and finally managed to go a whole round with the same ball. Came off the course with an average score but I was extremely pleased with this milestone. On my app it says I’ve played 38 rounds on 21 different golf courses so this has only happened once I finally joined a club two weeks ago. After 3 rounds here (par 71) it seems like i know the course very well already and even though I would like to do better score wise I am absolute buzzing at the fact that I can finally purchase and use expensive balls without fear of losing them.

So thanks for anyone that could be bothered to read. I’m keeping track of certain milestones and I’ve definitely ticked a few off already.

Next on my list would have to be breaking 80 however I think I am a long way off on this course which I’ve joined (91 best).
My best score to date was 81 but that was on a par 67.

Anyone know how long it took them to break 80 and what the biggest issue in their game was to correct for reaching this? Mine is definitely short game as I cannot decide what to do when it comes to bump and run or chipping. Also I’m still make a lot of 3 putts. Lots of work to do but I shouldn’t complain, just frustrating because I really want to get good as put a lot of effort in - but just seems like the areas I need improvement on won’t happen overnight which I was kind of hoping for.

Literally buzzing to have my next round. Feel more than comfortable to just roll up to my club and have a round on my own which I’ve never done before. Definitely don’t need anyone to hold my hand these days lol

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Sounds like you are really enjoying it which is great. As you mentioned overnight jumps are pretty rare & this can be a frustrating game at times. Obviously total score is the ultimate aim of the game, but to mix things up maybe track numbers of pars in a round, and numbers of doubles or worse. Also from time to time maybe leave the scorecard in the shop and perhaps treat every hole as a 'par 5' (so par 90), and just track in your head the running score - 1 over, 2 under etc. May be a fun way to break 90 at your new course.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Sounds like you are really enjoying it which is great. As you mentioned overnight jumps are pretty rare & this can be a frustrating game at times. Obviously total score is the ultimate aim of the game, but to mix things up maybe track numbers of pars in a round, and numbers of doubles or worse. Also from time to time maybe leave the scorecard in the shop and perhaps treat every hole as a 'par 5' (so par 90), and just track in your head the running score - 1 over, 2 under etc. May be a fun way to break 90 at your new course.

I’m currently using an app to track every round and it gives me a lot of feedback back which I think I should be using in a much much productive way now you have mentioned the above. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on the things below more often

Attachments

• A85CDF01-AFD2-4421-9851-A5AC18755C1E.png
    A85CDF01-AFD2-4421-9851-A5AC18755C1E.png
    204.3 KB · Views: 22

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
For the short game, ultimately this becomes quite a personal thing - and you'll suss that with course experience and practice. My personal suggestion would be as you are gaining that, is go the low route when things aren't in your way. Practice the high ones for when you need them. Generally the lower clubs give you more margin for error if strike isn't spot on. You'll see players who use the same club every time and manipulate loft, and those who flop everything, so there isn't a 'right way' as such. Plenty of good practice drills out there for assessing carry & run with various clubs/loft. Our Bob has likely posted videos.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am absolute buzzing at the fact that I can finally purchase and use expensive balls without fear of losing them.

So thanks for anyone that could be bothered to read. I’m keeping track of certain milestones and I’ve definitely ticked a few off already.

Next on my list would have to be breaking 80 however I think I am a long way off on this course which I’ve joined (91 best).

Anyone know how long it took them to break 80 and what the biggest issue in their game was to correct for reaching this? Mine is definitely short game as I cannot decide what to do when it comes to bump and run or chipping. Also I’m still make a lot of 3 putts. Lots of work to do but I shouldn’t complain, just frustrating because I really want to get good as put a lot of effort in - but just seems like the areas I need improvement on won’t happen overnight which I was kind of hoping for.

Literally buzzing to have my next round. Feel more than comfortable to just roll up to my club and have a round on my own which I’ve never done before. Definitely don’t need anyone to hold my hand these days lol

Well done

The bit in bold -famous last words it still does not stop me from buying the more expensive ball though as these only last me a couple of rounds anyway and it is always a brand new ball for a comp.

first time to break 80 on a full length course about 10 years, time to do it regularly about 15 years, times I have done it this year - 3 times.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just thought I’d share this on here just like I did with my ‘eagle thread’ etc just because the misses just doesn’t quite understand.

So I’m 16 weeks in and finally managed to go a whole round with the same ball. Came off the course with an average score but I was extremely pleased with this milestone. On my app it says I’ve played 38 rounds on 21 different golf courses so this has only happened once I finally joined a club two weeks ago. After 3 rounds here (par 71) it seems like i know the course very well already and even though I would like to do better score wise I am absolute buzzing at the fact that I can finally purchase and use expensive balls without fear of losing them.

You seem to be progressing well? I’ve played for over 30 years and never broke 80 and doubt I will but you never know, came close a good few times.

Good to have goals but don’t put to much pressure on yourself , have fun and enjoy that’s the main thing.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Its always a good feeling to complete a round without losing a ball.

I managed it on Thursday as well as shooting sub 80 for the first time since taking up golf again. I did lose a ball during my round though. It was a provisional, where luckily I found my first ball.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Started playing when I was 10yrs old. Broke 80 (on par 69) 4 years later. One year later (15) did it in competition play. Next year (16) broke 70, level par 69 (nett 61) to win my first men's trophy. Never done better than a nett 63 since.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I still get that buzz now if I keep the same ball all of the way around ?

Me too. Lost 3 brand spankers yesterday, absolutely gutted. I can go 2-3 rounds without losing 1, and then a load come at once!

As for the OP, 91 to 80 is a big jump. My best score is 84 but have only managed sub-90 a few times. My goal is to pretty much score sub-90 every round, once I’ve done that maybe a round in the 70s is on the cards.

Bit of a cliche but to improve its often down to short game and putting. Lost 3 balls yesterday, which contributed to the 95 I scored, however, very please to have zero 3 putts and chipped in for a birdie on a par 3. Take the positives.

Love a bump n run at the moment, I might get called an ‘old man golfer’ but I don’t care, much prefer that than thinning a lob wedge 50 yards over the back, or duffing one 6 inches.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Nice one fellas. Seems like it’s going to take a serious amount of time and effort to complete my next big milestone. I’m in it for the long haul so I guess time is on my hands at 35.

Really looks like the short / approach game is where it’s at for bringing those scores down for me and it would make perfect sense that I lack in this department because I cannot practice these shots on the driving range / top tracer. Those shots within 50ft with rough, humps and sandpits around the green are something top tracer just doesn’t allow me to practice.

Also I was very comfortable with my £30 blade putter from Amazon but for some reason I decided to shell out the big bucks for this odyssey mallet from American Golf. I’m now using my 4th different grip so far but not really found ‘the one’. Currently using a claw type grip which I saw Colin Morikawa use the other week. What I have noticed has helped is taking my glove off to putt and probably take at least 3/4 shots off a round just from having a better feel without a glove.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've not broken 80 yet and I've been playing regularly for the last 6 years... technically I started playing when I was 14 (but there was a long break in my 20s). Your progress is very quick if you're already looking to do that now.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Well done.

When I started I chipped a lot, an hour a day or more. But I think people get caught up with the long game, but chipping and putting can save rounds. One of the best players I know is a guy who's over 70, never been higher than 3 in 60 years. His home course is 6700, he can't reach many of the greens on par4s in two any longer, but can he chip and put.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
maybe I’ve set too high a goal so soon. Still learning shots I.e punch out rough with trees etc. Don’t know too much about how to play it out the sand as so many factors in each bunker but I just about manage to get it out (not always first time).

Best player I’ve played with doesn’t use a driver and doesn’t rely on long game. I’m in awe of his short game. Drivable tees he’ll pull out a 3 wood every time and short par 4’s he will use 2 x short irons. He’s lent me his illegal club which I’m yet to use which is like a double sided chipper type thing which he’s used a lot over the years to practice with.

I’m within around 10 shots of him every round but I really want to beat him. I know that’s probably not the right approach but I’m a competitive person deep down which I try and hold a poker face with.

Next step now will be entering my cards getting my handicap. Entering the club comps is something that really interests me. Will take a couple of months but it gives me time to try and learn a lot of the rules.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I wouldn't say so. No harm in setting a high goal.

In my opinion you are doing the right thing by working on your short game. Also think about course management, and how far you realistically hit each club.

Getting out of bunkers is reasonably straightforward. Its just a matter of technique, and accepting that just getting it out and on the green is a good result.

sunshine

Visit site
Good stuff bamber.

Maybe you could start a blog charting your heroic exploits to break 80? Get some likes on your Insta and become an influencer? On second thoughts.... :ROFLMAO:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Great to have these goals when you are so keen to improve. But these targets of breaking 80 and the like - they will happen when they happen.
The more important thing is the improvements to golfing skills that will bring them about. This takes time - there are no shortcuts - persistence and dedication will help.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
^
Good stuff bamber.

Maybe you could start a blog charting your heroic exploits to break 80? Get some likes on your Insta and become an influencer? On second thoughts.... :ROFLMAO:

Already completed that influencer malarkey, 2 million followers already across all social media platforms just from my golf blogs / videos alone. Don’t be jealous now