Another lesson.... with a difference! (MySwing)

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not to hijack Gareth's thread....

Been playing rubbish for over a year and after 29 points on Sunday, I desperately called round a few local pros as I had time on Monday for a lesson. Ended up arranging an hour session with the new pro at Playsport, East Kilbride, Tim Absalom.

Arrived and hit a few balls before the lesson. I was happy to be hitting it as rubbish as always- I have struggled to get my irons above head height for ages. Into the lesson and Tim introduced me to the MySwing system.

Basically, you're 'fitted' with a number of wireless sensors (cap, wrists, hands, club grip, thighs, belt buckle, forearms, ankles, chest, back and feet) which, when collaborated with the software creates a screen avatar a bit like this:

n2.png

image from Google

Took about 10 mins to set up (not included in lesson time). After a couple of swings, you forget about the sensors.

Overall, it's an amazing piece of kit. You can measure every angle of every part of your body, rotation, bend etc and you can track each moving part through the swing. Here's a still from the top of my backswing:

Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 17.00.31.jpg
Seem to have lost a bit of weight

Through this, Tim was most concerned about the lateral movement of the right knee. I spent an hour with him working on this in isolation, and slowly I improved on this, but it's foreign territory for me to not collapse into my right side. The results were instantaneous. My fat, low shots seem to have disappeared with a much improved strike. A couple of shots out the bottom of the club, but better hitting it 20 yards too long than duffing it 50 yards short. A work in progress.

Amazing that I would have spent hours practicing where to position my club in the backswing, tweak grip and ball position, but would never have picked up on the loss of flex and movement of my right knee!

Definitely going back in a few weeks to measure improvements to my lower half, before working on sequencing. In the meantime, I'm just happy to be able to launch my irons a lot higher!

Would add, Tim also has Trackman, SAM Putt Lab, K-Vest and other bits of tech. I know some are less enthused to embrace technology, but, for me, being able to measure things to a tiny detail e.g. amount of flex in a knee throughout a golf swing, is important, particularly if it yields good results.

If any of your local pros owns this system, be sure to give it a go.

Last edited:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not to hijack Gareth's thread....

Been playing rubbish for over a year and after 29 points on Sunday, I desperately called round a few local pros as I had time on Monday for a lesson. Ended up arranging an hour session with the new pro at Playsport, East Kilbride, Tim Absalom.

Arrived and hit a few balls before the lesson. I was happy to be hitting it as rubbish as always- I have struggled to get my irons above head height for ages. Into the lesson and Tim introduced me to the MySwing system.

Basically, you're 'fitted' with a number of wireless sensors (cap, wrists, hands, club grip, thighs, belt buckle, forearms, ankles, chest, back and feet) which, when collaborated with the software creates a screen avatar a bit like this:

n2.png

image from Google

Took about 10 mins to set up (not included in lesson time). After a couple of swings, you forget about the sensors.

Overall, it's an amazing piece of kit. You can measure every angle of every part of your body, rotation, bend etc and you can track each moving part through the swing. Here's a still from the top of my backswing:

View attachment 22718
Seem to have lost a bit of weight

Through this, Tim was most concerned about the lateral movement of the right knee. I spent an hour with him working on this in isolation, and slowly I improved on this, but it's foreign territory for me to not collapse into my right side. The results were instantaneous. My fat, low shots seem to have disappeared with a much improved strike. A couple of shots out the bottom of the club, but better hitting it 20 yards too long than duffing it 50 yards short. A work in progress.

Amazing that I would have spent hours practicing where to position my club in the backswing, tweak grip and ball position, but would never have picked up on the loss of flex and movement of my right knee!

Definitely going back in a few weeks to measure improvements to my lower half, before working on sequencing. In the meantime, I'm just happy to be able to launch my irons a lot higher!

Would add, Tim also has Trackman, SAM Putt Lab, K-Vest and other bits of tech. I know some are less enthused to embrace technology, but, for me, being able to measure things to a tiny detail e.g. amount of flex in a knee throughout a golf swing, is important, particularly if it yields good results.

If any of your local pros owns this system, be sure to give it a go.

Worth a try Dave, might save you a few 3 quids, BTW you look a lot slimmer in the picture than yesterday :p

Last edited: