Another e-bay "experience"....learn from my mistake!!

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Just looking to trade my irons in for something a little less beginner, seem some 755's for £260 4-PW rated 8-9 on golf bidder or have my eyes on some new Taylor Made RAC CGB 4-pw £290 but the problem is... that if I trade in my set which incs SW I wont have the cash (due to HID) to fill my SW problem. The Nike CCI cast from Onlinegolf are going for £299 + free 5900 driver!! but I am not sure if they are just as forgiving as the MX19s.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Well I have just received an email back from the company concerned....they have agreed to do a straight swap for a brand new set of Callaway X-18's.
These were the other clubs I was contemplating when I went for the Wilsons. I know the X-18's have now been replaced with the X-20's but that doesn't make the 18's a bad club overnight...
And they have standard shafts fitted to them so I shouldn't have a problem should the unthinkable happen at sometime in the future.
So I'm happy (I think!)

Now call me a knob

:D :D :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The X18's are a very good club. Up until the end of last year I was still using X14's and hitting the ball fine. Only downer I would put on it is the X22's come out soon. Apart from that and assuming these are UK sourced with UK shafts you won't have an issue and I'm pretty sure were you to break a shaft Callaway at Chessington would be able to do something for you.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm pretty sure were you to break a shaft Callaway at Chessington would be able to do something for you.

Yes, I've visited here in the past...never had anything other than A1 help from Callaway. The best one (in terms of getting something good out of a broken club) was getting a brand new Steelhead as a replacement for an ancient big bertha. I did have to drive 240 miles though!!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The stupid thing is.....
I've sold my old clubs (John Letter Trilogy) to a guy at work, and gave him my old bag as I wanted a "Wilson" one to go with my new clubs.
The old bag was getting on a bit but was still in nice condition..guess what it had emblazoned down the side?.....

Callaway

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I take back my negative comments on AG, I visited their store in Moortown Leeds and the sales guy was top dog, I wanted to change from the massive wide sole of the mx19 to something still forgiving yet let me shape more shots, I tried the DI9, MX200 & Cobra FP (Nippon NS Pro) and the FP won hands down and suited my game 100%, so temping to buy the DI9's but the FP's where better fitted for me and now I will own my first custom fitted clubs, well not really custom as everything was standard except two tapes added.

Also got some advice on my game there for free, thank you Homer for making me see the light.

Carter

www.VictoriaGolfPenthouse.co.uk
Hello all, If it helps you out, find the club you want in the USA, if they dont deliver to the Uk I can order it for you and have it delivered directly to you, i use a company in the US to forward goods from the USA to me all the time, usually works out cheaper than the UK, good price, reasonble freight and a DHL invoice for the customs arrives within a few weeks (this is about £10 dhl fee +17.5% of the declared price, usually wholesale value at 50% of retail and the import duty usually less than 10%) sounds complicated but it's pretty quick (about 3 working days from my freight forwarder) and like i say usually it still ends up cheaper than the UK plus you can get goods from the USA, pm me if you want more info.
ps I'm a newbie here but I'm not trying to make any profit by the way so don't worry that I'm a scammer or anything!!(see my ebay profile classic_motor )

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Just received an email from the company concerned.
They received my clubs this morning, they are happy with the condition of them and have shipped the Callaways out already, should be with me tomorrow sometime!!

Well chuffed

Thanks for all your comments and support/suggestions
Rob

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
Have to agree that you've got a good set for a good price, and should be able to get a much better SW than the Wilson one for not much more.

Why not just send the SW back and source your own?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Have to agree that you've got a good set for a good price, and should be able to get a much better SW than the Wilson one for not much more.

Why not just send the SW back and source your own?

Too late.
The Wilsons have gone back and the X-18's are on their way...
I'm going to be a lot happier with a set fitted with "standard" shafts.
I have seen a matching X-18 on e-bay sitting at £17.00 at the moment which I am keeping an eye on, but may look at Vokey wedges anyway.
The biggest gripe with the Wilsons for me were the "non standard" shafts.

time_vans

Head Pro
Visit site
not all bad ordered a wedge off ebay ...went missing...cheers dhl....offered a replacement ...next day come home from work and a shiny new 58 degree wedge sat waiting for me.lovely.big up to 365golfuk.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Please don't buy an X18 sw, it will be rubbish. Get a vokey, a Nike sv, a Cleveland, something from some one who has a reputation for wedges. What on earth do you want a cavity backed sw for? If you want Cally, get an X forged with mac daddyio groovy things.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Please don't buy an X18 sw, it will be rubbish. Get a vokey, a Nike sv, a Cleveland, something from some one who has a reputation for wedges. What on earth do you want a cavity backed sw for? If you want Cally, get an X forged with mac daddyio groovy things.

I will take your advice....
Should I be looking at a 56 degree wedge?
The bats I am getting are 3-PW and reading up on the spec of the X18's the PW will be 46 degrees.
I have never used an "attack" wedge, have always been happy with the standard 9 irons (3-SW) but am open to suggestions.

Jeez!! I've just looked on the Titleist website at Vokey wedges....I didn't realise so many different types were available!! I just want a bloody sand wedge!
I only use it out of sand!!
:D :D :D

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
A traditional sw is 56 degrees, so yes, if this is what you have used before then this is what you should buy. Wedges come in all shapes and sizes, but for a sw, you need a bit of bounce.
The huge choice is one of the biggest problems as I see it with vokeys. If you go down this route, talk to the pro at your course, who will know how your bunkers play, and he will recommend a bounce that will work for your course. It is impossible to advise over the web.

It will get worse when the new vokeys come out, because as well as having 3 bounce options, there will also be 4 sole grind options too.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I prefer SW in sets, I get far more forgiveness in the sand with cavs than blades.

Smiffy, try the MD wedges, half the price and just as good, that way you are not buying ego just a very good wedge at a decent price.

http://www.golfwarehouseuk.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15_94_244

£30 you can't go wrong, or there is a Ben Ross wedge reviewed in Dec GM, it is shaped like a blade but has the forgiveness of a cav.