Anonymity

Swango1980

Visit site
And that’s something that has already happened on the old HDID forum - there you used to be able to get peoples names and courses and someone did travel to a course to find someone when they had an argument on the forum
Really, can you share more? I did wonder why there is barely anything on those forums now, it used to have a lot of "heated" debate

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I would have no problem with having to give name/address etc to join a social media platform/forum. I wouldn’t want those details accessible to members of the forum.

A scenario; a post on the new (open) forum. Guys, I’m off on a lad’s trip for a week‘s golf in Portugal, 1st week of Sept…. Do I really want everyone knowing that the wife will be home alone for a week?

Or, we’re off to the Maldives for 2 weeks, any recommendations on what to see whilst we’re there… Do I want people knowing the house will be empty for 2 weeks?

For policing purposes I don’t have a problem giving personal details but they should be kept private.

D

Deleted member 15344

Really, can you share more? I did wonder why there is barely anything on those forums now, it used to have a lot of "heated" debate

There isn’t much more tbh

Poster was very aggressive towards others - was very threatening, one person stood up to him , he didn’t like it so used HDID to find out when he was playing next and drove to the golf club to confront him. Very scary situation

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I have enough trouble remembering peoples' names with the added issue of screen names!

Then we'll find out his name isn't actually Phil, and he isn't from Liverpool. Or the other bloke swings it nothing like Hogan!

By all acounts - SILH does not swing it like Hogan anymore! - was my first question when I met him at H4H :ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
By all acounts - SILH does not swing it like Hogan anymore! - was my first question when I met him at H4H :ROFLMAO:
By his own admission he doesn't anymore. :LOL:

I think Swango hit the nail on the head. No need for your identity to be freely available to the public, but it should be logged to be accessed by authorities in cases of serious abuse of another person.

In fairness, on this forum we're quite open. Most of us have our golf clubs in our signatures, and my name is easily found on one of the Fantasy Leagues I'm in for example, plus from those who have met me now, so anonymity is not something I worry about on here.

Swango1980

Visit site
There isn’t much more tbh

Poster was very aggressive towards others - was very threatening, one person stood up to him , he didn’t like it so used HDID to find out when he was playing next and drove to the golf club to confront him. Very scary situation
Wow. I often wonder if people are actually as crazy as they sound on forums. Probably not generally, but in that case looks like they almost certainly were even more crazy in real life. I'm sure a lot of us have been in colourful debates on these forums, I've never once come close to thinking "I really want to go out of my way to meet that guy in real life and give him a piece of my mind". If it really bothers you that much, just stop viewing the thread. Easy peasy.

D

Deleted member 16999

I would have no problem with having to give name/address etc to join a social media platform/forum. I wouldn’t want those details accessible to members of the forum.

A scenario; a post on the new (open) forum. Guys, I’m off on a lad’s trip for a week‘s golf in Portugal, 1st week of Sept…. Do I really want everyone knowing that the wife will be home alone for a week?

Or, we’re off to the Maldives for 2 weeks, any recommendations on what to see whilst we’re there… Do I want people knowing the house will be empty for 2 weeks?

For policing purposes I don’t have a problem giving personal details but they should be kept private.
I’m not sure anyone (unless I’ve missed it) is suggesting having anymore than username being allowed an account once their identity has been certified.

I also have no problem with personal details being kept securely for policing purposes, but the 2 scenarios you describe is happening almost daily on platforms like FBook now by stupid users.

Those scenarios can be rectified by posters taking responsibility for their own actions.

The bigger issue is the death threats, racism, sexism etc from faceless, nameless people using non-verified accounts.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
If we were to join under our own names, it would stop previously banned members rejoining under a different moniker.

Hopefully, we tackle the occasional flare up quickly and stop anything getting out of hand,

Most of us regulars who go to Forum meets like H4H and Auld Pharts know who most folk are anyway

D

Deleted member 15344

Wow. I often wonder if people are actually as crazy as they sound on forums. Probably not generally, but in that case looks like they almost certainly were even more crazy in real life. I'm sure a lot of us have been in colourful debates on these forums, I've never once come close to thinking "I really want to go out of my way to meet that guy in real life and give him a piece of my mind". If it really bothers you that much, just stop viewing the thread. Easy peasy.

There are plenty on here who have had ding dongs and i have certainly been involved in many but when you meet up for a game of golf then what happens and said on here doesn’t matter - there is only one person on here in the past who has wanted to carry stuff on at meets but he is no longer around.

At the end of the day it’s forum with opinions and strong ones at that and there will always be clashes but thankfully it never rarely goes to disgusting levels

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
There are plenty on here who have had ding dongs and i have certainly been involved in many but when you meet up for a game of golf then what happens and said on here doesn’t matter - there is only one person on here in the past who has wanted to carry stuff on at meets but he is no longer around.

At the end of the day it’s forum with opinions and strong ones at that and there will always be clashes but thankfully it never rarely goes to disgusting levels

The reasons in favour of anonymity are many and varied but, in my own personal case, a life in the police has meant I prefer to be very careful who I share my personal details with. I do Facebook, but no other social media, and choose my “friends” very carefully.

I know from painful experience that there are people out there who are entirely happy to make my life a misery, simply because I wore a uniform.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site

But you are in control of what you post. Personal security is down to oneself.

I'm pleased and a little surprised we've managed a good debate without sliding towards the political.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The murder of David Amess is being used as cover to apply more authoritarian policies. Social media had nothing to do with his death. But there are those who would wish to see people who blow the whistle on entirely different stuff, such as corruption of elected officials or hospital problems, suppressed. Anyone who says something online which is a crime, a public order offence, hate, intimidation or whatever, should be traceable, but anonymity allows people to express legitimate views without getting harassed or bullied for it.

It is just a bit ironic that the people proposing this are the same people who use special self-destructing social media platforms to communicate and lose mobile phones at times of maximum convenience.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As it happens I probably haven’t done it like Hogan for 20yrs…and though I had learned out of the book I wasn’t aware until a bloke I had not played with before said ‘i keep thinking we’ve played before even though we haven’t..and I’ve just realised why…I recognise your swing…you swing it like Hogan’ ??

In respect of anonymity…I most probably wouldn’t be bothered if it was not possible…there is nothing that I post that I do not or would not say face-to-face, or that I’d not like to be known about me or my views. Openness and honesty are my watchwords. But I certainly see @Ethans point in respect of anonymity for whistleblowers.

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
But you are in control of what you post. Personal security is down to oneself.

I'm pleased and a little surprised we've managed a good debate without sliding towards the political.

I am aware that we control what we post and it’s implications. Even though I only allow friends and family on my FB page I’m very conscious of what goes on my page.

In here, the GM forum, I’m anonymous. I can say I’m off to Portugal this week without any concerns. If I had to post under my real name I wouldn’t have the freedom I have now.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
People should be able to come on here and say they wear a white belt on a 40" waist, use a chipper, or use iron headcovers (but not all 3) and not fear the backlash.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
If we were to join under our own names, it would stop previously banned members rejoining under a different moniker.

Hopefully, we tackle the occasional flare up quickly and stop anything getting out of hand,

Most of us regulars who go to Forum meets like H4H and Auld Pharts know who most folk are anyway

You've been called many things, but never formally regular... ;):)