Anonymity

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How would you feel if social media banned anonymous posting?

And the same on a Golf Forum for that matter!

Personally I'd not be worried.

D

Deleted member 21258

Does it work on here, nope

Facebook think has something already, does it work on there, nope.

People still talk to people, like they would not in the pub. If they did speak to people face to face like they do on the internet, they would get knocked out when face to face, to be honest.:confused:

So probably generally 'dont think it will achieve the aims' EDIT, and causes lots of other problems kind of person.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 15344

Its a tough one - for example because someone knew when someone was playing golf one day they were able to hunt them down and turn up at their golf club all because of an argument on a forum. So forums I think are ok for being anouymous - and a lot of us have met anyway

The likes of Twitter though imo needs some level of access request via identification- so that if there is a level of abuse etc the social media company know who it is and people then wouldnt be able to hide being a faceless account

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
All for it. If you have something to say, have the courage of your convictions and say it under your own name. My Facebook and Twitter accounts are both under my real name. On here it is simply my initials and year of birth but quite a few people know my real name anyway and i would have no qualms in changing to me full real name on here.

It will never happen, imagine the process involved in ensuring that over a billion people fill in their identification details. Then you would get the outcry from those without the correct ID, politicial pressure from those who would see it as another example of big brother etc.

Still, my opinion remians, if you have something to say, you should be prepared to deal with the flack it causes and live with the fallout.

RichA

Visit site
There are plenty of folks who have jobs that bring them into conflict with people who know their real names, so they avoid Facebook and Twitter because of the way they can easily link the user to their friends and family.
Forums like this are something of a safe haven to chat with people who have a common interest without having to risk identifying themselves to nutters.

D

Deleted member 16999

Does it work on here, nope

Facebook think has something already, does it work on there, nope.

People still talk to people, like they would not in the pub. If they did speak to people face to face like they do on the internet, they would get knocked out when face to face, to be honest.:confused:

So probably generally 'dont think it will achieve the aims' EDIT, and causes lots of other problems kind of person.

All for it. If you have something to say, have the courage of your convictions and say it under your own name. My Facebook and Twitter accounts are both under my real name. On here it is simply my initials and year of birth but quite a few people know my real name anyway and i would have no qualms in changing to me full real name on here.

It will never happen, imagine the process involved in ensuring that over a billion people fill in their identification details. Then you would get the outcry from those without the correct ID, politicial pressure from those who would see it as another example of big brother etc.

Still, my opinion remians, if you have something to say, you should be prepared to deal with the flack it causes and live with the fallout.
100% Agree, absolutely no need for anonymity on social media.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 16999

Unless you're using Social Media to be critical of an authoritative regime obviously...

I accept people have used Social Media to expose some awful atrocities around the World that may not of come to light, but that is possibly a tiny percentage, for the remainder I see no reason for anonymity.

Maybe people shouldn’t be using Social Media if it puts their life in danger.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I accept people have used Social Media to expose some awful atrocities around the World that may not of come to light, but that is possibly a tiny percentage, for the remainder I see no reason for anonymity.

Maybe people shouldn’t be using Social Media if it puts their life in danger.
As much as I hate the way certain individuals use Social Media, and have an instinctive urge to demand that all accounts are validated by some form of ID. I'd hate to think that legitimate (and necessarily anonymous) protest is being stifled because Dazza and Shazza can't control their urge to tell people just how much they hate them and hope they die.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Then there are those that should have social media anonymity forced upon them… i.e anyone that’s been on any reality tv or is just ‘famous’ for being related to someone famous or getting their kit off after a cosmetic procedure

D

Deleted member 16999

As much as I hate the way certain individuals use Social Media, and have an instinctive urge to demand that all accounts are validated by some form of ID. I'd hate to think that legitimate (and necessarily anonymous) protest is being stifled because Dazza and Shazza can't control their urge to tell people just how much they hate them and hope they die.
The problem is though, who is the arbiter that can decide what is a legitimate protest and what isn’t?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
The problem is though, who is the arbiter that can decide what is a legitimate protest and what isn’t?
Well certainly not the Government of the country in question. Nor the Social Media company. In fact, the only real arbiter is a functioning and independent Judiciary I suppose. One that isn't beholden to any political party or corporate interest. One that makes decisions based on the actual law, and not popularity.

Swango1980

Visit site
All for people's identity being linked to their account, so if they cross the line they can be identified easily by authorities. Not so sure about having people's identity out there for all other users to see. Firstly, how long would it be before a debate on social media turns into a physical / verbal altercation in real life because someone was able to track the other person down. Also, people may be more open about things when they cannot be identified. Perhaps someone may have personal issues who seek help, but would be too embarrassed to do so if people knew who they were. Or, in relation to a golf forum, there are plenty of discussions on controversial things going on in their golf clubs for example, and this generates some interesting debate. Many of this could cease to occur, as a person may be less willing to bring a subject up if the club in question can be linked to their identity.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Again, very well reasoned debate so far. There have been some excellent points for annonymity that I had not considered

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
All for people's identity being linked to their account, so if they cross the line they can be identified easily by authorities. Not so sure about having people's identity out there for all other users to see. Firstly, how long would it be before a debate on social media turns into a physical / verbal altercation in real life because someone was able to track the other person down. Also, people may be more open about things when they cannot be identified. Perhaps someone may have personal issues who seek help, but would be too embarrassed to do so if people knew who they were. Or, in relation to a golf forum, there are plenty of discussions on controversial things going on in their golf clubs for example, and this generates some interesting debate. Many of this could cease to occur, as a person may be less willing to bring a subject up if the club in question can be linked to their identity.

Agree with this on balance, would give us the best of both world's.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Agree with this, I would not like my identity to be easily found by just anyone on social media however I would have no qualms about having my identify verified as part of any signing up process.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agree with this, I would not like my identity to be easily found by just anyone on social media however I would have no qualms about having my identify verified as part of any signing up process.

I think that this is reasonable. To identify yourself when you sign up and to allow law enforcement agencies access to that information with the required warrant woud solve a number of issues

D

Deleted member 15344

And that’s something that has already happened on the old HDID forum - there you used to be able to get peoples names and courses and someone did travel to a course to find someone when they had an argument on the forum

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anonymity is not the root cause of social media issues, it's easy to borrow or steal someone's ID or login such that a name means little anyway.

I do think there is a growing problem with toxic online culture and criminal behaviour that needs looked at but anonymity is not where to start. The real problem is the lack of traceability and culpability in users and a lacklustre policy enforcement in the networks.

This sounds like a classic policy knee jerk to me as the vast majority of users are demonstrably good.