Anonymity

Swango1980

Visit site
Rubbish, social media wasn't carrying a knife, that's the physical world mate.

Political opinions are not relevant to your job.
We are generally not really talking about whether you are Conservative, Labour or Liberal. Probably not even talking about whether you were Brexit or Remain. However, if you are the type of person that goes on twitter and is constantly spreading your racist views, sexist views, homophobic views, etc, are you saying these opinions are not relevant to your job? And forget whether your job is in the police, immigration or something very directly relevant. Surely most business owners would not only employ such a person, but they would look to get rid of existing staff members for behaving in such a way. I'm sure many businesses have social media policies now as part of their staff manual?

Last edited by a moderator:

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Our company has a social media policy for it's employees. In fact it was updated just over a month ago and passed out to all employees. We have been warned!
Ours too, which is why I have every single person I can find from my company blocked on facebook, and why my twitter is anonymous.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
We are generally not really talking about whether you are Conservative, Labour or Liberal. Probably not even talking about whether you were Brexit or Remain. However, if you are the type of person that goes on twitter and is constantly spreading your racist views, sexist views, homophobic views, etc, are you saying these opinions are not relevant to your job? And forget whether your job is in the police, immigration or something very directly relevant. Surely most business owners would not only employ such a person, but they would look to get rid of existing staff members for behaving in such a way. I'm sure many businesses have social media policies now as part of their staff manual?
You'll very quickly be blocked by twitter, so it's not really relevant to the discussion.

We are talking about whether you're Tory/Labour/Lib Dem or SNP actually, because in Scotland there's a hardline of unionist extremists who will take into account your voting actions

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Depends on the job. As a cop I was not allowed to be a member of, or show any affiliation to, any political party. It was a huge no no.

Still in force and more and more emphasis on social media presence. Gets even worse if you go for more developed vetting levels.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm sure many businesses have social media policies now as part of their staff manual?
They would be fools if they don't. We have only a small company and we have a section in covering this. It is standard, generic text but it does the job. Any company not having a policy probably does not have a staff manual or set of policies full stop.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not that it really matters as nobody does anything wrong on their own account on social media. Amazing how we have cyber security drilled into us but almost to a person, everyone who is arrested for posting inflamatory comments has had their phone hacked, had it used by a mate with the password or simply left the phone unlocked on a bar where someone must have done it.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
You'll very quickly be blocked by twitter, so it's not really relevant to the discussion.

We are talking about whether you're Tory/Labour/Lib Dem or SNP actually, because in Scotland there's a hardline of unionist extremists who will take into account your voting actions
Twitter really aren’t that great at reacting & closing accounts.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
In here, the GM forum, I’m anonymous. I can say I’m off to Portugal this week without any concerns. If I had to post under my real name I wouldn’t have the freedom I have now.

And exactly how long does it take to get to Portugal from the Shire Bilbo?