Annual Presentation

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our was yesterday. Christ it was awful. We had a shotgun better ball beforehand. That was poorly attended. Huge gaps in the field. Food afterwards. Looking around the lads in the bar, it was the old guard that were there. No newer members at all! Hardly surprising as the pro didn't even send the e mail out for info until last Sunday. Most of the prize winners were not there, so we whizzed though the thing. Lord, even Captains Day and Presidents day were handed out. They used to deliver done on the days in question with a meal at night and the clubhouse rammed. And you were only there by invitation. The whole thing took 30 minutes. Captain didn't bother to change, just chucked his jacket on over his golf stuff. The only person allowed a speech is the singles KO winner and that was poor. A very disappointing feeling about the whole thing. I won't bother next year l, unless I've got something to collect, which after my loss of three shots this year won't be happening

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
That sounded like a pretty good doo to me.
Nice semi-formal comp followed be a similarly semi-formal meal and presentations. Captain making a token gesture of donning a jacket - brilliant.

I attended our Trophy Supper on occasions over the decades. Tedious drawn out evening, but felt obliged to attend if I won something. One year they had not got the actual trophy that I had won from the previous year's winner who had left the club. Their (handicaps and comps committee) solution to this was to not mention it. I just wish they had told me this before the evening commenced. I spent the evening waiting for my name to be called out and it never happened. I asked at the end, was told the reason, but no apology for not informing me.
And this was a fully organised jacket-and-tie event back in those good old days?

These events have to evolve into what people want and what can be achieved in respect of customer wishes.
I think your club has struck the right balance.
Our club has gone the way of yours in recent years and is at the point of not bothering at all with such an end of season doo.

I really don't see this as any problem. You can only do what there is a demand for. No point supplying what is unpopular.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Last one ( only one ) I went to was when I had won captains day around 2014. If I had to describe it in a sentence. Snobbery at its finest. Me and Missis T were sat down having a nice meal. missis T who was an urology district nurse at the time just happened to mention to me. “ I have been looking forward to this all day as I have only had a pot noodle all day”. Two women on the table looked at her disgusted and said “ Pot noodle, you actually eat Pot Noodles”. The woman at the side of me nearly had a meltdown when they brought the pea soup starter. She nearly passed out. She went onto explain she has a Phobia about Pea soup. Seriously. She mentioned her father took them up to Scotland during the pit holidays in the car. It was a long trek and halfway there her dad would stop in a lay-by and crack open a flask of pea soup. And it would make her feel sick. I get that you don’t like it, but to make a frame out of a bowl of soup. The young waitress, bless her she looked shocked.
Cannot see me going to another.
When it came to the presentation, they passed me the mini claret jug, I looked at the cameraman, klick and it was quickly removed from my possession. I held it for all of 10 seconds. No chance of photos with Missis T or any of the other winners. It was a rammel night.

sunshine

Visit site
Last one ( only one ) I went to was when I had won captains day around 2014. If I had to describe it in a sentence. Snobbery at its finest. Me and Missis T were sat down having a nice meal. missis T who was an urology district nurse at the time just happened to mention to me. “ I have been looking forward to this all day as I have only had a pot noodle all day”. Two women on the table looked at her disgusted and said “ Pot noodle, you actually eat Pot Noodles”. The woman at the side of me nearly had a meltdown when they brought the pea soup starter. She nearly passed out. She went onto explain she has a Phobia about Pea soup. Seriously. She mentioned her father took them up to Scotland during the pit holidays in the car. It was a long trek and halfway there her dad would stop in a lay-by and crack open a flask of pea soup. And it would make her feel sick. I get that you don’t like it, but to make a frame out of a bowl of soup. The young waitress, bless her she looked shocked.
When it came to the presentation, they passed me the mini claret jug, I looked at the cameraman, klick and it was quickly removed from my possession. I held it for all of 10 seconds. No chance of photos with Missis T or any of the other winners. It was a rammel night.

Weren’t you supposed to drink your pea soup from the trophy?

3 jabber

Visit site
Sounds typical of modern golf to me. Less and less people are interested in the club side of things, they just want to turn up, play then go home again. You can hardly expect good club functions if you don't support the social side of the club.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think that if the club are doing something then it should be done right. I think part of the problem is our pro organised the comps, and he's rubbish. Nice lad, but utter rubbish. He's got no drive at all.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Sounds typical of modern golf to me. Less and less people are interested in the club side of things, they just want to turn up, play then go home again. You can hardly expect good club functions if you don't support the social side of the club.
I think part of this Jabber is that Pros and golfers know how to run the course, lessons, club etc. but presentation nights and functions are hospitality. And speaking of those at our place, well the uptake is not the best. But and this is a massive but. Norwood Hall is a fantastic wedding venue. So I do not have the foggiest why folk give them a miss.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
People do not have as much spare time now. I'll usually stay for a pint after a game but I can't really stay much longer than that.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We abandoned having presentation night many years ago

We now incorporate it with our Christmas Texas Scramble Sunday. The comp is always well supported, hard to even find a seat in the clubhouse but the presentation gets little bit whisked through so they can do the prizes for the scramble.

In our office we have a box full of uncollected Trophies. A lot of players appear to uninterested in getting them now so much so we stopped doing 2nd place trophies a few years back.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Many years ago we let the winners take the trophies home for a year but quite a few never came back again so we stopped doing it.
At least we can hang on to ours in the clubhouse on the day.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Many years ago we let the winners take the trophies home for a year but quite a few never came back again so we stopped doing it.
Am Not gonna lie. It felt like

“ They think I am going to nick it” 😳

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
The history of the first 100 years of our club contains a reference to legal action being taken to recover a trophy from one of the members.

The Fader

Visit site
Ours has evolved over the years
Jacket and tie - OUT. Casualware - IN
Formal Dinner - OUT. Buffet - IN
Long speeches from the great and good - OUT. Brief opening words from Captain - IN
Every attendee buys a ticket - OUT. Prize winners free with partner subsidised - IN
Large cut glass momento - OUT. Small token momento and professional photo - IN
Earlier start with earlier finish.

Works for us and attendee numbers pretty good.

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
Ours has evolved over the years
Jacket and tie - OUT. Casualware - IN
Formal Dinner - OUT. Buffet - IN
Long speeches from the great and good - OUT. Brief opening words from Captain - IN
Every attendee buys a ticket - OUT. Prize winners free with partner subsidised - IN
Large cut glass momento - OUT. Small token momento and professional photo - IN
Earlier start with earlier finish.

Works for us and attendee numbers pretty good.
I like all of those except glass-wear out. Club embossed wine glasses are awarded for a few comps at our place and they’re a coveted prize 👍

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
We used to have 4 presentation days each year following a major comp where the days prizes and those from the previous quarter were dished out.

Captains Drive-In in mid March, Club Championships in June, Captains Day (after the end of Captains week...a whole week of fund raising comps) in September and the turkey Trot in December. Three of these were Shotgun Starts so the bar was always full afterwards and the Club Champs we always used to have a BBQ whilst waiting for the final groups to come in which families could turn up to.

Trouble was trying to attract golfers who has won stuff to actually turn up to each of these...especially if they were not playing in the comp on the day.

This year we are actually having a presentation evening in November....food, then a band booked for a short set before the presentations, then a second set of music afterwards. A tenner to attend. Hopefully it will all go well and I really hope the club are pushing those who have won stuff (doesn't include me I'm afraid) to attend.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Ours has gone to a midweek event with a social 9 hole comp in the afternoon and then the presentations. I won't be there as it starts before I can get there after work (and I didn't win anything of note). We use to do it on a Saturday night and very poorly attended so at least the club is trying something different now

sunshine

Visit site
In our office we have a box full of uncollected Trophies. A lot of players appear to uninterested in getting them now so much so we stopped doing 2nd place trophies a few years back.
To be honest I wouldn’t be interested in collecting a trophy for 2nd place. All about the “W”.