Angry golfers...

matts1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This is something I need to work on, don't throw clubs etc. But do get angry and take a little while to get over it. My pp is a typical volcano though. After 4 holes on Sunday he was already saying the round was over as he was 4 shots off his handicap.

Scooby999

Club Champion
Visit site
Something I have also been working on, we have a tough first four holes and my concentration is focused on trying to get through them with no dramas! They are the only ones that frustrate me after that I enjoy the views and just wonder how the plus .1 is getting me nearer to a shot on the par 5 14th ;-)

49neil

Medal Winner
Visit site
I played on Sunday in a comp and one of the FCs was close to a seething golfer, but for the most benign reasons it was quite enjoyable but bizarre to watch. Twice he was in a greenside bunker, with a fairly tricky lie, where just getting out was more than acceptable, let alone on the green or even up near the pin. Twice he got out and up onto the green. Twice my playing partner and I said, "well out" and twice he went absolutely bat skat mental whacking the sand with his club whilst muttering expletives under his breath and throwing his club back to his bag whilst he picked up the rake.

did you count the penalty shots on his card?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am at my calmest on the course, don't swear, don't get annoyed etc. I get stressed enough during the week and this is what I do to relax. I am a mid handicapper so my game is never going to be perfect and I can live with that. There are going to be bad shots, bad holes, bad rounds etc but that is all just part of it.

One of the group I play in is totally the opposite. He swears, shouts, slams clubs, throws clubs the lot. I have personally seen him break 2 club shafts in the last 2 years. All of this stems from the fact that his driving factor is purely to win, not to improve, not to cut his handicap, not even enjoyment I think but just to win. If he is not in with a shout in a comp of even if he is not beating the rest of the 4 ball in a friendly round then the red mist descends. Unfortunately, he also always wanted to play or partner me. Luckily the rest of the group have picked up on this and now they make sure that the balls are thrown up or we alternate groups so as we all have to put up with it every now and again.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
No point in getting angry on the course, life is to short. Can't see the point is destroying my clubs, I've worked hard enough to pay for them so I'm sure as hell not going to break one only to have to buy a replacement.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I do get angry, often swearing and occasionally banging club etc especially when I hit a wrong shot (bad club choice, trying to clear something when I should lay up etc) rather than simply a poor swing and poor result. That's sort of fine as it happens a lot :) . I do however try to only be angry for about 10 seconds, dust myself down and see the next shot as a challenge. Do this a lot better than I used to resulting in poor shots not turning into poor holes or a run of poor holes.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I probably get more pee'd off with myself than angry. Not much of a swearer, turn my back off the tee and more of a jumper up and down and round in a circle thing when thinning simple looking approach shots. Best up my etiquette for Saturday's nw kok' s otherwise not only will they be laughing at my shots, but also my not so sexy little dance...

D

Deleted member 15344

I just mainly laugh at myself when I mess up

Have a few swear words at times at myself but don't really get that angry

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think I'm a angry golfer to be honest I love a good swear word after missing a putt or something

But I don't slam clubs and shout and scream or complain about the course or anything

dontfancythisputt

Club Champion
Visit site
Depends what’s at stake for me, if it’s a close match or a medal that I’m playing well in then I can smash the club into the ground and turn the air blue after a really bad shot but on the whole I tend to laugh it off with the quiet words "you tw*t!

I will talk far less though if Im not playing well or really chasing a score or recovery.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm quite sweary, but usually just quietly to myself. Often talk to myself, things like "what've you done there?" or "where's that going?" etc.

Have chucked a club in anger but was quite embarrassed by that.

Did toss a club aside recently after nailing a three wood over a distant fairway bunker.... but not quite making the carry, although that was more for comedy value as I was actually quite pleased with the shot (although not my judgement of the distance) and was smiling broadly at the time. (Just a bounce game, might have felt different in a medal).

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I try really hard not to let bad shots affect me. I used to, and generally follow one bad shot with another. Nowadays I try to switch off between shots.

Playing with strangers week in week out at my new club I have had to try to internalise my bad language when I hit a bad shot or miss a short putt, and it seems to be working, I'm now able to forget the bad stuff quicker and move on.

I've learned that (for me anyway), swearing and thinking about the bad ones doesn't help me hit a good one the next time. Quite the opposite in fact.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
my pro asked me at my last lesson "whats the average distance from the hole for a tour pro from 180yds?"

I replied 15-20 ft? try 15 yds so more like 45 ft!

We are too hard on ourselves and too expectant. Made me realise my game isnt so bad when its on song :)
(not sure his distance was right but he is on the europro so assume he knows his stats lol)

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
my pro asked me at my last lesson "whats the average distance from the hole for a tour pro from 180yds?"

I replied 15-20 ft? try 15 yds so more like 45 ft!

We are too hard on ourselves and too expectant. Made me realise my game isnt so bad when its on song :)
(not sure his distance was right but he is on the europro so assume he knows his stats lol)

He is right G1BB0, I looked up some of these stats for the PGA tour earlier -see my earlier post in this thread.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
The day I let golf get to me to the extent I'm throwing clubs or smacking the ground etc is the day I'll pack it in.

I generally just laugh at myself when I hit a bad shot or make a mistake, maybe the odd time having an absolute shocker I'll lose interest to a degree but won't start being a clown.

Twin Lakes

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I suspect the better you are the more frustrating it could be hitting a bad shot.
I'm not good enough to get angry and never swear or throw clubs. My expectations are low, I know my limitations.
I'll tell you what does wind me up is when I play and my playing partners are continually telling each other "good shot" Really!!
(I occasionally play with a 2 handicapper. He does hits a few good shots)