Andalucía Masters Coverage

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm sure Sky could have "piggy backed" some local Host production team from Spain, beamed back their pictures and used a studio commentary team?

I may be wrong but surely some Spanish media outlet was watching Sergio win in Valderama?

Wolf

Visit site
Am I the only that doesn't think Sky have done anything wrong..

As a commercial business they planned to run the coverage Thursday through Sunday as per tour scheduling. Pack up and travel arranged for Monday to next event. They wouldn't be able to rearrange flights and travel plans at such short notice, would assume most of their European captive audience would be working Monday so stuck to the original plan.

It's not like the US Open where they factor in a potential extra days coverage as they know a play off in that is 18 holes on a Monday.

End of the day most of the tournament was a wash out anyway so better to get off and prepare for the week ahead, simple and good business sense.

D

Deleted member 18588

I'm sure Sky could have "piggy backed" some local Host production team from Spain, beamed back their pictures and used a studio commentary team?

I may be wrong but surely some Spanish media outlet was watching Sergio win in Valderama?

I would imagine it is very unlikely that any organisation other than ET Tour Productions would have had cameras on course .

Certainly wouldn't expect any Spanish TV to be independently covering the tournament.

D

Deleted member 15344

Golf Channel had some sort of production there

Sky had their production crew and used the ET cameras and I believe a few from an OB company

The ET production was still filming on the Monday and there were multiple clips from them on their twitter feed

It doesn’t take much to take a feed from Golf Channel or continue using the ET feed and have a crew in the UK doing some sort of commentary- the OB vans were still there on the Monday ( two of them going to el Classico this weekend ) .

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Putting the loss of the coverage into some sort of perspective.....
The leaders had played 9 or 10 holes of the final round..
Sergio was almost certainly going to win it
1 maybe 2 others had an outside chance
Coverage would have amounted to about 2 hours that wasn't scheduled and would impact whatever else was ( probably a re-run but....)
On a Monday morning
I do wonder how many people would have tuned in if they'd shown it....probably a few thousand at best....
I think people are using this to just have a pop at Sky.
I suspect the vast majority of viewers didn't take Monday morning off work just so they could watch, in reality, a fairly insignificant event ( apart from Sergio winning again and some players losing or retaining their cards - really the only interest the event had)

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It might seem simple enough just to take someone else's coverage but it most likely inst that simple. I'm sure that it would have had to cost sky something to do so, and maybe that cost was too high or a contract couldn't be draw up within the time frame.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Coverage would have amounted to about 2 hours that wasn't scheduled and would impact whatever else was ( probably a re-run but....)
On a Monday morning
I do wonder how many people would have tuned in if they'd shown it....probably a few thousand at best....
I suspect the vast majority of viewers didn't take Monday morning off work just so they could watch, in reality, a fairly insignificant event ( apart from Sergio winning again and some players losing or retaining their cards - really the only interest the event had)

Your not wrong.. mine was a pop at sky because sky golf really annoys me. £18 a month for something which they don’t have all the majors anymore. Basically their happy to take £18 a month but not pay for the majors

If they start pricing the sky sports channels properly for example £5-10 pcm for sky golf then at least you can let slide not having all the majors

D

Deleted member 15344

On a Monday morning

Sky showed highlights of the Sunday instead of the live coverage
It might seem simple enough just to take someone else's coverage but it most likely inst that simple. I'm sure that it would have had to cost sky something to do so, and maybe that cost was too high or a contract couldn't be draw up within the time frame.

It’s not too hard from a technical side - the OB vans were still there taking the feed from the course and sending it to the various productions centres , Sky have a contract in that place already with ET for the media production. I could well be the production team in the UK were doing something else

The European Tour have said it was the World Feed cameras had to leave Spain for Turkey which is in two weeks time

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Your not wrong.. mine was a pop at sky because sky golf really annoys me. £18 a month for something which they don’t have all the majors anymore. Basically their happy to take £18 a month but not pay for the majors

If they start pricing the sky sports channels properly for example £5-10 pcm for sky golf then at least you can let slide not having all the majors
I agree it’s frustrating they don’t have all the golf majors. Although if the USpga are to believed, it isn’t because sky have attempted to be cheap. They wanted to reach more people through modern media......

The price isn’t really an issue for me. I suspect not many have just sky golf. They’ll have the football first and the rest then go on a sliding scale on price. Tbh even if I was paying £18 for it. Generally there are at least 8 comps a month to view. If you (the viewers) chooses not to watch them all, that’s not sky’s fault.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I'd like Sky to be cheaper, I definitely would like them to get back all the majors, but if for £18 a month I get coverage for the full 4 days (normally) of 6-8 events a month plus all their other stuff like on the range, masterclasses, tee time tips then that's reasonable value. That must be in excess of 200 hrs so if (big if) my maths is right that's 9p per hour. It also compares favourably to other entertainment such as cinema where I'd get two films, or out where I may get 4 pints.

Edited to add that given I have full sports package (and I go through the process of haggling) and enjoy a range of sport then it works out even better. Saying that the emergence of BT and streaming is a pain as I now no longer get all events so potentially a drop off in value compared with historically.

Last edited:

Wolf

Visit site
£18 a month for the amount of golf that sky provide really isn't that much when you consider it.

Yes they don't have the PGA now but that isn't Sky's fault the PGA of America decided to try other broadcast formats. Even so 3 majors, Ryder Cup, PGA Tour, European Tour, LPGA, LET, Solheim cup plus so much more per month/year and all that can really be complained about is they missed 2 hours coverage of a washout event when most viewers are working and the Loss of 1 major, when you put it into context they're giving pretty good VFM..

But as always we only complain about what we don't get rather than what we do get to enjoy week in, week out....

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd like Sky to be cheaper, I definitely would like them to get back all the majors, but if for £18 a month I get coverage for the full 4 days (normally) of 6-8 events a month plus all their other stuff like on the range, masterclasses, tee time tips then that's reasonable value. That must be in excess of 200 hrs so if (big if) my maths is right that's 9p per hour. It also compares favourably to other entertainment such as cinema where I'd get two films, or out where I may get 4 pints.

Edited to add that given I have full sports package (and I go through the process of haggling) and enjoy a range of sport then it works out even better. Saying that the emergence of BT and streaming is a pain as I now no longer get all events so potentially a drop off in value compared with historically.

I find the "Masterclass" stuff cringeworthy at best, has me reaching for the remote!

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I find the "Masterclass" stuff cringeworthy at best, has me reaching for the remote!

Which is fair enough so you'll take that into consideration for what you perceive is a fair price, but just because I may not like Tom Hanks (I do) doesn't mean I'll be able to get a cheaper ticket to his films compared to others as they price it on the overall markets perception of value, same as Sky.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think you have to give Sky a bit of slack.

Not sure how many people they have in their crew but it's probably more than 50, plus a few lorries worth of kit.

Logistically getting all that from Spain to China isn't easy or cheap and would have been planned a year in advance. I'm sure if it was just a case of delaying everything 12 or 16 hours then they would have done that.

Remember you also lose 7 or 8 hours in the time difference and workers have to have certain amount of time off each week and to adjust to the time difference.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
As for Sky coverage in general, I'm sure we must be moving more to a solution whereby Sky and the European Tour produce their coverage together.

I can't imagine it is cost effective for Sky to produce their own content with their own commentators for UK audience when the European Tour also do this for international audience.

Pull their resources and produce the best content possible and ditch some of the duller commentators. European Tour coverage is already noticeably better than the US stuff that we catch via Golf Channel and CBS.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I sat up late and watched highlights of the final round, was bubbling up nicely not just leaders but players trying to keep their cards until the suspension of play.
So I stayed up late last night expecting to see what I thought would be a very interesting finish to the tournament.

The highlights I watched started around midnight so wasn’t best pleased to be shown the same show as the previous night and no coverage of the finish 😡

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I also think people complaining about the cost of Sky have to get a grip.

Yes, Sky are a profit making organisation and there has to be some kind of commercial reward for them to do what they do, but I'm sure for the amount of money they put into Sky Golf coverage every year the returns will be marginal in many cases. Certainly covering much of the European Tour events will surely be a loss leader type of thing that from a revenue and subscription point of view is probably not making them money, but they are doing it so they have a complete schedule.

Realistically, how much sport could you watch live in person for even £50 or £100 per month... assuming you had the time to travel and didn't even factor in the cost of travel or accommodation.

You'd be lucky to see 2 or 3 games of football or maybe 2 or 3 days at a golf tournament. And people are moaning about £18 pm... what can you do with £18 ?!?!? You could barely get a meal for two at a mediocre pub / restaurant.

As for the PGA Championship... the PGA of America have made it very hard for Sky to deal with them or do a realistic deal that would enable Sky to cover the event to their subscribers. This year, the deal with 11 Sports was done at the last minute but I'd personally be amazed if 11 Sports start bidding for all European Tour or even PGA Tour coverage. Of course they might start trying to pick off some of the majors or big US events, but I would be surprised if there was the commercial viability to cover the smaller golf events without having the bigger ones to offset that.

If 11 Sports (or BT for that matter) started picking off some of the bigger events, then I'm fairly sure Sky's golf coverage would cease - certainly the European Tour stuff. Probably the direction of travel is for an online subscription to European Tour or PGA Tour coverage. Possibly this isn't a disaster - but I'd be surprised if it was better value than Sky, even if it was marginally cheaper.... would many really bother?

In short, we probably need Sky more than they need us at this point and Sky could easily pack all of this up and redirect the resource into generating interest in Basketball or Ice Hockey, similar to what they've done with the NFL. Maybe even sponsoring the UK versions of these leagues.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I also think people complaining about the cost of Sky have to get a grip.

Yes, Sky are a profit making organisation and there has to be some kind of commercial reward for them to do what they do, but I'm sure for the amount of money they put into Sky Golf coverage every year the returns will be marginal in many cases. Certainly covering much of the European Tour events will surely be a loss leader type of thing that from a revenue and subscription point of view is probably not making them money, but they are doing it so they have a complete schedule.

Realistically, how much sport could you watch live in person for even £50 or £100 per month... assuming you had the time to travel and didn't even factor in the cost of travel or accommodation.

You'd be lucky to see 2 or 3 games of football or maybe 2 or 3 days at a golf tournament. And people are moaning about £18 pm... what can you do with £18 ?!?!? You could barely get a meal for two at a mediocre pub / restaurant.

As for the PGA Championship... the PGA of America have made it very hard for Sky to deal with them or do a realistic deal that would enable Sky to cover the event to their subscribers. This year, the deal with 11 Sports was done at the last minute but I'd personally be amazed if 11 Sports start bidding for all European Tour or even PGA Tour coverage. Of course they might start trying to pick off some of the majors or big US events, but I would be surprised if there was the commercial viability to cover the smaller golf events without having the bigger ones to offset that.

If 11 Sports (or BT for that matter) started picking off some of the bigger events, then I'm fairly sure Sky's golf coverage would cease - certainly the European Tour stuff. Probably the direction of travel is for an online subscription to European Tour or PGA Tour coverage. Possibly this isn't a disaster - but I'd be surprised if it was better value than Sky, even if it was marginally cheaper.... would many really bother?

In short, we probably need Sky more than they need us at this point and Sky could easily pack all of this up and redirect the resource into generating interest in Basketball or Ice Hockey, similar to what they've done with the NFL. Maybe even sponsoring the UK versions of these leagues.
yep, lets face it what would the beeb have done???? thats right they wouldn't even be there in the first place;)

mind you they may have sent someone to do a feature on those ponds on the course and even float a few toy ducks on them:ROFLMAO: