American Golf

JamieB

Visit site
Hi everyone

I have been viewing this forum for a while but after today’s issue I decided to join, have a rant and ask for your opinions

I was custom fitted by American golf on the 26th of April for a set of Callaway Apex 21 irons. After weeks of chasing up American golf I was getting nowhere so decided to email Callaway direct which did help speed up the order time. Today my irons finally arrived and when I got them home to the house I discovered that they had ordered me the wrong irons. In the box were the apex pros which I believe are good clubs however I play off 18 and having spent a fair amount of money this isn’t what I ordered or want. I instantly phoned American golf who said Callaway is now shut for the weekend and I’ve to bring the clubs in on Monday morning and we will contact together. The mistake is with American golf as the they confirmed that they ordered the apex pros, I’ve no idea why as I didn’t even try these clubs. My questions are how easy are Callaway going to accept these clubs as it’s not their error and how long am I going to have to wait? If it is as the website states 6 to 7 weeks I think I’ll ask for my money back but I’m back to square one.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Their mistake so law is on your side, but all clubs are taking a while at the moment. Is ask for compensation tbh, you have waited and they got it wrong.

JamieB

Visit site
I’m interested to see what Monday brings. I’m not fussed about compensation I just want the correct clubs I’ve waited over 3 months for. I’m not sure if American golf have a Callaway rep that can pull some strings and hopefully not wait the same amount of time or the season will be over

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
You have a contract with AG. You do not have one with Callaway. AG can debate the matter with Callaway, but the only question you need answered is whether they can rectify the mistake fast (maybe a week or so), and if not, you expect an immediate and full refund, no ifs and buts. Make sure that on Monday, before they/you call Callaway, that position is very clear to AG.

Do you have the custom fit spec sheet?

JamieB

Visit site
I have a custom build spec sheet from the box that Callaway delivered. All the specs look correct with lie angle etc apart from the head but the only receipt I was given by American golf had my customer order number and the price. I have taken a photo of the spec sheet so if it goes wrong on Monday, I can get my money back and order from callaway direct.

jmcp

Visit site
Hi Jamie,

there are a few good online retailers who have stock available from several brands, for instance, I bought a new set of Callaway Apex TCB from Jamgolf just over a week ago and the clubs were delivered to me the next day, I just took the standard lie/loft/grip/shaft but if you are not far from a standard fit yourself then might be worth considering if you do go down the route of getting a refund

Cheers, John

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a custom build spec sheet from the box that Callaway delivered. All the specs look correct with lie angle etc apart from the head but the only receipt I was given by American golf had my customer order number and the price. I have taken a photo of the spec sheet so if it goes wrong on Monday, I can get my money back and order from callaway direct.

How different from standard is it?

JamieB

Visit site
The standard shaft is True Temper Elevate ETS 95 but the one I ordered was Nippon Modus 3 105 tour in a stiff flex. Also the lie angle is 2 degree flat. This is my first time getting fitted for irons so I’m not too sure if there’s a massive difference or not.

JamieB

Visit site
How different from standard is it?
The shaft difference and the lie angle as the post above. Not sure if I should just get my money back on Monday and order standard online for next day delivery. Suppose it depends on what they can do timescale wise.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The standard shaft is True Temper Elevate ETS 95 but the one I ordered was Nippon Modus 3 105 tour in a stiff flex. Also the lie angle is 2 degree flat. This is my first time getting fitted for irons so I’m not too sure if there’s a massive difference or not.

Usually they manufacture heads in several lies, say standard, +2 and -2, so building a set is fairly easy, and the Modus is not a super exotic shaft (had them myself once, nice shaft). If Callaway were willing and have the shafts in stock, they can build a set very fast. See what AG say, having impressed upon them that you expect satisfaction, and take it from there.

JamieB

Visit site
Usually they manufacture heads in several lies, say standard, +2 and -2, so building a set is fairly easy, and the Modus is not a super exotic shaft (had them myself once, nice shaft). If Callaway were willing and have the shafts in stock, they can build a set very fast. See what AG say, having impressed upon them that you expect satisfaction, and take it from there.
I hope they have the same can do attitude as you do but after the experience so far the above seems far too easy and good to be true. I’ll post again on Monday what the outcome is.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hope they have the same can do attitude as you do but after the experience so far the above seems far too easy and good to be true. I’ll post again on Monday what the outcome is.

Yeah, you are probably right. Callaway is a good company and I would have a reasonable amount of faith in them. AG, on the other hand ......

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Make sure you check lead times

I sent my 3 wood off for repair 10th June cobra

21st June I was told their replacing the head

It's now mid July and the heads still not with clubhouse golf who have the shaft

JamieB

Visit site
Make sure you check lead times

I sent my 3 wood off for repair 10th June cobra

21st June I was told their replacing the head

It's now mid July and the heads still not with clubhouse golf who have the shaft
Does anyone have an idea of when the catch up on lead times is going to realistically get back to normal ish? Surely this can’t keep continuing like this for months on end.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Are you basing that on general hearsay or current up to date fact…..?!

NeilG

Visit site
Passing on my experience of AG for anyone thinking of using them.

I had a fitting for irons with AG on 13th May.
The fitting wasn’t great, but I placed an order for a set of Cobra irons. I was told the lead time would be 6 weeks (24th June).
Ordered on finance and got an email from the finance company on the same day which I replied to with the information they asked for.
Got a receipt from AG when I ordered (for the deposit – no details of what I had ordered). Expected a confirmation email but this never materialised.

Went into the shop on 2nd June just to check on progress as I had not had an email.
After about 10 minutes of checking the guy in the shop showed me an email from Cobra that they had received on the 17th May. This stated that the shafts specified would cause a delay of 3 – 4 weeks and offered an alternative, closest match, which would allow then to stick to the original date.
The guy apologised that they had not contacted me before but told me that the email had been missed.
I wasn’t happy but accept that mistakes can be made. I agreed to the change but was obviously wary that the offer was 2 weeks out of date. The guy in the shop said that they would check with Cobra and get back to me by phone.

I hadn’t heard anything by the 5th June so emailed them asking for an update - up to this point I am polite with every communication.
I got a reply stating that they had emailed Cobra and were waiting for a reply ‘will be calling Monday to get it confirmed as it’s a priority to get this sorted for you’.
No further contact by Thursday the 10th June so I email asking for an update.
They reply stating Cobra only got back to them that day and they will be looking to ship in the next two weeks. (I.e. they will roughly meet the original time frame).

It gets to the 5th July and no further contact. I go into the shop to check and after a further wait get told that there has been another delay and the clubs will be with me in two weeks.
That was the first time I dropped my façade of politeness and had a rant in the shop about my experience to that point. I ask to see the manager, but they weren’t there. The guy in the shop told me that they would get them to call me.
Unsurprisingly I've not had a call.

At no point during this process have AG proactively contacted me.
I think that my issues with AG are self-explanatory, and highly likely are going to be replicated with other customers – at the very least customers of this branch.
I would not recommend AG to anyone else at present.

JamieB

Visit site
Passing on my experience of AG for anyone thinking of using them.

I had a fitting for irons with AG on 13th May.
The fitting wasn’t great, but I placed an order for a set of Cobra irons. I was told the lead time would be 6 weeks (24th June).
Ordered on finance and got an email from the finance company on the same day which I replied to with the information they asked for.
Got a receipt from AG when I ordered (for the deposit – no details of what I had ordered). Expected a confirmation email but this never materialised.

Went into the shop on 2nd June just to check on progress as I had not had an email.
After about 10 minutes of checking the guy in the shop showed me an email from Cobra that they had received on the 17th May. This stated that the shafts specified would cause a delay of 3 – 4 weeks and offered an alternative, closest match, which would allow then to stick to the original date.
The guy apologised that they had not contacted me before but told me that the email had been missed.
I wasn’t happy but accept that mistakes can be made. I agreed to the change but was obviously wary that the offer was 2 weeks out of date. The guy in the shop said that they would check with Cobra and get back to me by phone.

I hadn’t heard anything by the 5th June so emailed them asking for an update - up to this point I am polite with every communication.
I got a reply stating that they had emailed Cobra and were waiting for a reply ‘will be calling Monday to get it confirmed as it’s a priority to get this sorted for you’.
No further contact by Thursday the 10th June so I email asking for an update.
They reply stating Cobra only got back to them that day and they will be looking to ship in the next two weeks. (I.e. they will roughly meet the original time frame).

It gets to the 5th July and no further contact. I go into the shop to check and after a further wait get told that there has been another delay and the clubs will be with me in two weeks.
That was the first time I dropped my façade of politeness and had a rant in the shop about my experience to that point. I ask to see the manager, but they weren’t there. The guy in the shop told me that they would get them to call me.
Unsurprisingly I've not had a call.

At no point during this process have AG proactively contacted me.
I think that my issues with AG are self-explanatory, and highly likely are going to be replicated with other customers – at the very least customers of this branch.
I would not recommend AG to anyone else at present.
I had similar issues with the 2 AG’s in Edinburgh. I was fitted on the 26th of April for the Callaway Apex Irons and the 10th May for Vokey wedges. Both missed the lead time and after calling everytime they missed the dates, all they could say is we don’t here from the club manufactures until the week before they are supposed to be delivered. This did not sit well with me so I contacted Callaway and Titleist direct myself and both were happy to speed things up. AG on both occasions phoned me to say the clubs ready to be collected and were shocked when I told them that I knew they had been dispatched a week ago. Both manufacturers dispatched the clubs to AG head office and it takes a week to send it to the selected store. You can send things around the world in less time than that but not their courier around the UK it seems.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
I ordered some balls via the website click and collect. When I then went to get them from the shop they were initially unable to find the order. Eventually they did, and I heard one say to another “why does the order go to that folder? We’ll never see it there.” A sentiment the colleague agreed with. Fortunately, though the shop should have put my order to one side, they had what I’d ordered on the shelf still.

It does not bode well for bigger orders.

NeilG

Visit site
I had similar issues with the 2 AG’s in Edinburgh. I was fitted on the 26th of April for the Callaway Apex Irons and the 10th May for Vokey wedges. Both missed the lead time and after calling everytime they missed the dates, all they could say is we don’t here from the club manufactures until the week before they are supposed to be delivered. This did not sit well with me so I contacted Callaway and Titleist direct myself and both were happy to speed things up. AG on both occasions phoned me to say the clubs ready to be collected and were shocked when I told them that I knew they had been dispatched a week ago. Both manufacturers dispatched the clubs to AG head office and it takes a week to send it to the selected store. You can send things around the world in less time than that but not their courier around the UK it seems.

It’s really not great that they don’t appear to own their orders.
I don’t want to get to the point where I am saying how they should run their business, and as there is less than zero chance I will order clubs from them again I shouldn’t really care.

Hopefully my order will turn up this week but if not will follow your advice on contacting the manufacturer.