American Golf double value trade in is back!! But don't get excited.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Got an email from American Golf saying their double trade in offer is back, new and improved.

http://www.americangolf.co.uk/best-value-trade-in/best-value-trade-in.html

But looking at the prices it's nothing to get excited about, their valuations look very low to me. Would anyone really trade in a Ping G driver for £55?? :eek: Even the double value of £110 seems low, I'm confident you could easily sell one on eBay or Gumtree for more than that unless it's in pretty poor nick.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your not wrong there

G25 irons £156 after double? I got £225 for my g15s last year and their older!

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Horrendous offers, anyone who takes these up needs their heads checked. The fact that before the double trade in they would only give £55 for a G driver is an absolute joke. I sold one about a month or so ago, used, for £170. Obviously understand it is a shop and they need to make a profit but come on, no need to rip people off.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
It’s the time of ‘we Buy any car’ where people take low value prices because other channels are full of chancers and charger dodgers, ...

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Apologies for old thread resurrection........ but I've just been online to get a price on trade in my faithful Jetspeed Fairways and they proudly told me it was £8 but could double it to £16.

I am still giggling! I would not expect masses for them, but that made me smile. He explained they convert from US$ (using the wrong rate) then double it!

How generous...

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Best swerved. They need to pay for the awful advertising campaign somehow. My perception of the golf gear trading landscape is that the entrepreneurial golf pros and pro shops are now resurgent . There's some amazing deals to be had and some very fair part exchanges available. Seaham pro shop are trailblazers a this but via one of the big UK Golf selling groups on facebook I recently bought a brand new, still in wrapper, Titleist 818 H1 hybrid from Sandwell Pro Shop in the West Midlands for £150 posted. All I did was post what I was looking for and they replied within half an hour. Club arrived 2 days later , exactly as described. Why go to American Golf ????

Nickrat

Club Champion
Visit site
The double trade in value is a joke at my local store.

I don't usually shop at AG anyway but when I saw the offer thought that's good might get a decent amount of a new set of irons. £120 offered (which was double) for a set of Ping i20's 4PW.

Said thanks for wasting my petrol, and I wont bother coming back to this store in the future.

Oh and I got the whole you got to buy from us because we make sure our clubs are not fakes and everywhere else are selling fakes.

cs1986

Club Champion
Visit site
I might pop in this weekend to look at what second hand clubs they are selling. Really need a 3-wood and a putter. I will likely be price-checking them against ebay listings to see if its a good deal or not. I would never trade in with them, there is a healthy market for second hand golf gear on ebay and golfbidder.

Av-it

Visit site
Worked ok for me.
Bought some Benross irons and woods off of eBay last year (to take the game up) Paid £130 and was offered £120 for them yesterday. The guy knew what I'd paid for them but that's what his computer said :D
Anyway, new Ping G30 irons and woods on order, Happy days :D

Cheers:cheers:

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m slightly confused as to what people want from American Golf tbh. If they used an internal pricing system people wouldn’t be happy with the prices and the fact they have to go in to get the price. If they paid double eBay prices for things people would moan that the used equipment is ridiculously high. At least they are using a pricing system we can all view prior to going into store.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Works for some people, even if their prices and exchange rate (especially the latter) are not competitive.

I just bought an M4 hybrid from AG and traded in an M2 5 wood. Got almost £70 which I was happy with as I had bought it myself off E bay a couple years back for about £120. Might have got a little more selling it separately on E Bay but it avoided the hassle and having to package and post it.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
On the one hand I'm delighted that they think my Futura X (original model) is worth around £150 as a trade-in (it cost me only a little more than that three years ago)... On the other hand I'm disappointed that I can only use it as a trade in against another putter when what I really want is a hybrid or a 3 wood.

People moan about the 1.5 exchange rate but that's a lot closer to the current rate of 1.42 than it was last year when it was around 1.28.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Bit like “we buy any car”. You don’t have to take their offer if you think you can do better or you are not happy with it.

I was happy with my deal. Quick and easy. And I wanted new irons. Previously I would have left the old set in the garage

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
I would personally always sell on eBay instead. It’s not for everyone but worth it if you can take the hassle. I had a TM spider putter, early edition and check the trade in value. They would have give me £18 for it. I got £65 on eBay

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No point moaning about what they offer, your under no obligation to trade your clubs in. I find it strange how people get so worked up about it.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
No point moaning about what they offer, your under no obligation to trade your clubs in. I find it strange how people get so worked up about it.

Exactly this. People on here act like AG is the only place that you can buy/sell equipment. Get a quote (or don’t) and then decide, if you feel you’re being low balled then don’t accept the offer, nobody is forcing you.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
One of our members got a quote for his AP1's of golfbidder and printed the email off and took it to the nearest AG. AG offered peanuts, the bloke took out the quote to try and at least get the price matched and got absolutely no joy. Another who left and said he wouldn't return. To be fair to AG I can see why wouldn't but there seemed to be no room to negotiate at all