American Golf custom fit

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I accompanied a golfing mate to our local AG where he had booked a custom fit. I havnt liked the store much over the years after it was Nevada Bobs, changed to private ownership and then AG, they would be off hand, wouldn't do a deal and, in the end I'd just go there to feel clubs etc but never buy! So I was interested in the custom fit and intrigued how they would do it.

It turned out that it was their Tour Van doing a sheduled visit and a New Zealander called Craig doing the work. He had the latest Flightscope connected to his Ipad so I was confident test the test was going to be fair and accurate as he couldn't, and didn't, play with any settings, so, if it was set to an enhanced calibration I knew at least, that all the clubs readings would be enhanced by the same amount.

My pal (a 14handicap and improving) said he wanted to try Ping i25, Callaways, Mizuno Jpx and Titleist AP2 irons, none of which were a problem. It wax obvious from the from the outset that the fitter was really only interested in narrowing down what shaft suited him, saying that he would be happy with whatever head he chose so long as he could find exactly the right spec of shaft to match. After much hitting, analysing dispersion, distance, flight, feel etc my pal decided he liked the. Callaway X Hot pro with a 100g stiff shaft and the figures showed it was the best on test for him and they priced the clubs for him and he has gone away to think overnight.

The main purpose of this write up though, is to say that despite my initial reservations I was mightily impressed with the fitting and Craig the fitter and, whilst I may still distrust the in store guys I would definitely be happy with their tour van.

As a post script, I hit a few balls with the JPX 800 Pros and loved them, Craig did some readings, although not a proper fitting, and advised me, if I liked them to go with a Project X 5.0 shaft with which I managed to get a smash factor with a 6 iron of over 1.4! I might just have a closer look at a set!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My view on AG is well known and to be honest this sounds more like an independent fitter via a tour truck than a generic instore fit and the bonus of this would seem to be the wider array of shaft options. Every store I've had a fit and know of others having have always had what seems to be a rather limited stock. Either way, if the guy has fitted your mate and he is hitting nicely, then I hope the downward handicap trend continues.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I have never had a problem with AG- had fittings and refittings and demos, in store with range and with tour truck. ALL have been fair and honest with no pressure

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I really think Ag are trying to turn a new leaf, as you know Chris I went recently wanted new irons, armed with the cash the fitter took £27 off me for a lie alteration and said of I still wanted new bats he'd fit me again in a few months

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have never had a problem with AG- had fittings and refittings and demos, in store with range and with tour truck. ALL have been fair and honest with no pressure

If your AG uses Flightscope indoors just make sure the unit is at least 8ft (max around 11ft) behind impact, and there has to be a minimum of 13 ft from impact to the ball being stopped by a net, if these aren't met it won't read the Spin Rate accurately so the numbers won't be accurate.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My view on AG is well known and to be honest this sounds more like an independent fitter via a tour truck than a generic instore fit....

As Oddsocks posted, I think AG are smartening their act up, so your view might change if you tried them again. All the ones I've experienced recently have been a considerable improvement over the 'sell what gives us the best profit' AG of yesteryear!

And Chris posted that it was AG's Tour Van (well Truck)! Here it is http://www.americangolf.co.uk/information/ag_customservices_demodays.html

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As Oddsocks posted, I think AG are smartening their act up, so your view might change if you tried them again. All the ones I've experienced recently have been a considerable improvement over the 'sell what gives us the best profit' AG of yesteryear!
http://www.americangolf.co.uk/information/ag_customservices_demodays.html[/url]

Had several very bad experiences at several different stores so very, unlikely ever to use them again. I think I'll be getting the I25's having hit the hard stepped shaft so I guess the point is mute

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
If your AG uses Flightscope indoors just make sure the unit is at least 8ft (max around 11ft) behind impact, and there has to be a minimum of 13 ft from impact to the ball being stopped by a net, if these aren't met it won't read the Spin Rate accurately so the numbers won't be accurate.

I would never do a fitting or testing indoors, I have to see the flight of the ball not read it went 300yds on a beautiful trajectory. :whistle:

I did have one indoors (not AG) and it caught me unawares as it was a pro at a golf club so I assumed it would be at their outdoor range- never again!:angry:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Had several very bad experiences at several different stores so very, unlikely ever to use them again. I think I'll be getting the I25's having hit the hard stepped shaft so I guess the point is mute

Somehow I doubt it! Moot perhaps though!:rofl:

Did you know Matt has gone btw? Probably gone cubbing in Newcastle! :D

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My view on AG is well known and to be honest this sounds more like an independent fitter via a tour truck than a generic instore fit and the bonus of this would seem to be the wider array of shaft options. Every store I've had a fit and know of others having have always had what seems to be a rather limited stock. Either way, if the guy has fitted your mate and he is hitting nicely, then I hope the downward handicap trend continues.

Thanks HJS. I was obviously sceptical but as others have said, it was the tour van and a different attitude to the store, he just seemed genuinely to want to supply the right product

Are you panicking into buying new clubs already Chris? :D

If it means losing a tenner to you John ...................... Yes!

It was set up pretty much as you say

Did he carry a lot of shafts Chris?

He had a really good range Dave, I never saw in the van but I believe it was Nike old tour van, but he had loads of stock stuff

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would never do a fitting or testing indoors, I have to see the flight of the ball not read it went 300yds on a beautiful trajectory. :whistle:

I did have one indoors (not AG) and it caught me unawares as it was a pro at a golf club so I assumed it would be at their outdoor range- never again!:angry:

Same here. No matter what the machine says the only feedback that you really get is from watching the flight of the ball. That is why I would never practice by hitting balls into a net. You might be swinging good and striking it great, but you could just be perfecting a slice/hook if you do not know what the ball is doing.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Same here. No matter what the machine says the only feedback that you really get is from watching the flight of the ball. That is why I would never practice by hitting balls into a net. You might be swinging good and striking it great, but you could just be perfecting a slice/hook if you do not know what the ball is doing.

The flight was shown graphically on the ipad with the dispersion etc.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The flight was shown graphically on the ipad with the dispersion etc.

Beg to differ, you can watch flight and very easily be deceived, most folks are. The only real way to have accurate information on your ball flight, spin rate, SS, BS, distances etc. plus club path, AoA, face angle etc. is to check the numbers, the numbers (machine set up correctly) don't lie, folks visual impressions and egos' more often than not do.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Beg to differ, you can watch flight and very easily be deceived, most folks are. The only real way to have accurate information on your ball flight, spin rate, SS, BS, distances etc. plus club path, AoA, face angle etc. is to check the numbers, the numbers (machine set up correctly) don't lie, folks visual impressions and egos' more often than not do.

I held the ipad and could see all the numbers, my point was that whilst I actually agree that I'd want to see the flight etc, the machine did do a graphical representation of it.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I held the ipad and could see all the numbers, my point was that whilst I actually agree that I'd want to see the flight etc, the machine did do a graphical representation of it.

No, I get where your coming from: my comment was more about the, 'I only trust what my eyes can see as the only way of judging things viewpoint, which for many reasons knowing what we now know from Trackman, Flightscope, GC2 that you can only get totally reliable information from the numbers the eyes deceive us particularly with accurate assessment of peak height and distance.
It's why all tour pro's with probably very few exceptions (though I can't think of any at all at time of writing) use a LM regularly in practice to confirm what they are doing.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It's why all tour pro's with probably very few exceptions (though I can't think of any at all at time of writing) use a LM regularly in practice to confirm what they are doing.

I totally agree. My assistant pro today said that he would never make a swing change without seeing the data on Trackman with the evidence that the change was going to be beneficial

Visit site

Hi Chris

My name is Karl ( not Craig as posted ) & I am the guy you saw last week . I agree that its great to see the flight when on a fitting session the reality of it is that the majority of ranges I visit have sub-standard golf balls which again can lead to some interesting data particularly around spin rates & smash . I actually carry a rang of balls on the truck with me to use indoors , combined with the correctly set up LM with the correct distances both behind & in front of Flightscope this gives the best results in my experience. Thank you for the feedback , enjoy your game !