American golf custom fit

Dave1980

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I went to American golf a few weeks ago to try the new Cobra F9 speedback. Having spent a good hour dialling in the numbers. I thought I knew what i wanted. However Saying the I would return in a few days to retest ( to convince myself I knew when I wanted.)on the re test I was meet with an assistant store manager who set me up for something completely different and said having a spin rate of 2900 was better than my previous 2200/2300. The new set up happened to be a driver they had in stock, although in a different colour scheme. Should I trust the new data or Would you give another AG branch a try or try somewhere else?

Now where do I go....

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I went to American golf a few weeks ago to try the new Cobra F9 speedback. Having spent a good hour dialling in the numbers. I thought I knew what i wanted. However Saying the I would return in a few days to retest ( to convince myself I knew when I wanted.)on the re test I was meet with an assistant store manager who set me up for something completely different and said having a spin rate of 2900 was better than my previous 2200/2300. The new set up happened to be a driver they had in stock, although in a different colour scheme. Should I trust the new data or Would you give another AG branch a try or try somewhere else?

Now where do I go....

Sounds like you were happy with the f9 and how it performed

I’d buy it lol

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had the intention is buying it, but the second sales assistant put me off saying adding 500rpm and loosing 20 yards Carry was a good thing!

The second sales assistant sales just what he is.. a salesman! Wants the one in stock gone

How high were you launching it? Found this online

There’s a bunch of things that factor into that,” Rollins said. “If you have a low-launch guy, say 8-, 9- or 10-degrees, you’re going to want to stay in the 2,400 to 2,600 spin rate. But if you have someone like Zach Johnson, who launches everything around 13- or 13.5-degrees, we’re trying to hit 2,000 or 2,100 to maximize his carry distance.”

Visit site
No no no don't buy it, he's fobbing you off. Go with the first one you tried, pretty good spin numbers there.

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Now where do I go....

I would personally try and find a Cobra fitting day somewhere and attend that , it’s usually cobra reps who hold these , if not that try a completely different branch it visit a Pro who stocks Cobra for a fitting

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As much as I like AG and support them, I would not trust them for a fitting, not sure why something doesn't feel right.
Personally I would find an alternative.
I don't feel that there is a balanced knowledge within the group

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’d still just buy the f9 personally

Testing was done , good numbers achieved and happy with it..

Most modern drivers perform to the same standard and it comes down to the very underrated but very important “feel” of a club.. if it feels right then buy it

I recently tested a f7 with the loft cranked down to 9.5, it felt amazing, sounded great and the numbers on pro trace showed results

I bought it there and then

First round out with it I never have driven straighter

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not unduly surprised by the OP's post and that is one of my gripes with AG. You can get a sales assistant that simply wants to flog you something to move stock on and isn't always great at interpreting launch monitor data (and I've minimal trust in their settings but that's a separate thread) and having got some base numbers from the first fitting, if I was the OP I'd either go to a different store and see what data you get, or better still go to a PGA professional for a fit, and then compare the numbers from there

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Depends on your swing speed as to the spin. 2200 is great if your fairly fast, if you’ve got a slow swing speed you need it higher.

Anyway, American Golf don’t custom fit.

peld

Visit site
I had a fitting with AG at the weekend. Was very impressed, no up selling spent 90 mins on irons, hybrid, wedge and a putter. Everyone custom fit. Hit lots of balls, and gave good guidance.

Homer

Visit site
I had a fitting with AG at the weekend. Was very impressed, no up selling spent 90 mins on irons, hybrid, wedge and a putter. Everyone custom fit. Hit lots of balls, and gave good guidance.

What did you get? How did they do the Putter?

peld

Visit site
What did you get? How did they do the Putter?
I got:
Wilson D7 17*Hybrid (+1", jumbo grip, stiff shaft)
Wilson D7 5-PW, GW Irons (+1.5", jumbo grip, stiff KBS 105 shaft)
Wilson PMP 56* Wedge, (+1.5", jumbo grip, stiff shaft)
Wilson Bucktown putter (36" shaft)

The putter isnt really custom fit per se, but a 36" shaft is not off the shelf and needs to be ordered.

(FYI I didnt go in to order a full Wilson set, just ended up with it!)

Last edited:

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site

Now where do I go....
I'd get a second opinion at cobra. They've got quite a few fitting truck days on soon if you check out their website.

£350 is a lot to spend with a bit of doubt. Especially if you have an off day and don't drive it will. You'll be thinking about the spin number! AG monitors have their purpose. It's nice to be able to try gear in their shop but I'd leave it at that. If you want a real fitting, look elsewhere!