Amateur status..

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Another R&A/USGA press release, this time to modernise amateur status rules

The most interesting bit is probably the bottom part re sponsorship possibilities

Attachments

• 223283B8-0758-4074-A393-DDBCF1C82C0C.jpeg
    223283B8-0758-4074-A393-DDBCF1C82C0C.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 71

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Slightly sad, a formal move away from the true amateur to the future professional, but reflects the reality of the modern world, and removes the rather convoluted nature of some of the arrangements between sponsors and leading amateurs. Should help amateur golf in Europe.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another R&A/USGA press release, this time to modernise amateur status rules

The most interesting bit is probably the bottom part re sponsorship possibilities
Currently this is only a proposal.
Comments will be accepted until Friday, 26 March 2021 with the new Rules scheduled to be adopted on 1 January 2022.

D

Deleted member 1147

It must be a bonus for those elite amateurs who will struggle financially without any assistance (clubs, sponsorship etc)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just had a look and read up on proposed changes. Seems to make sense to me.

And in any case, at our level, I never really understood what the supposed difference was between vouchers/credits and cash.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
So, anyone who says "you keep lifting your head so that's why you top it" is going to have to turn pro if they accept a beer for helping ( joking)

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It seems okay to me, but the PGA may reject it because it could jeopardise their profession. If you can skip all the PGA stuff and get straight to competition golf and earn a decent wage, which some of these amateurs could do then there may be the bone of contention.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It seems okay to me, but the PGA may reject it because it could jeopardise their profession. If you can skip all the PGA stuff and get straight to competition golf and earn a decent wage, which some of these amateurs could do then there may be the bone of contention.

When I was still playing competitive golf, if you wanted to play in the PGA tournaments, you had to be a member. That may have changed now

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I was still playing competitive golf, if you wanted to play in the PGA tournaments, you had to be a member. That may have changed now
I think they will try to maintain that, my current understanding is you have to be a member.

D

Deleted member 18588

I think they will try to maintain that, my current understanding is you have to be a member.
You don't need to be a member of the PGA to play on the Challenge or European Tours.

We have had two members from our Club in recent years go straight from US colleges onto the Tours and one from a UK university.

Last edited by a moderator:

sunshine

Visit site
Don't really follow this stuff, but are the rule changes mainly aimed at sponsorship? E.g. social media influencers and their "paid partnerships"?

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Very few professionals whos main source of income is tournament winnings go through the PGA program. Most send a letter to the R and A basically saying 'Dear R and A, Im now a professional'.

The pga program tells you how to coach and how to shop keep.

Why you need to pass a playing test for what they offer is beyond me...

4LEX

Visit site
Very few professionals whos main source of income is tournament winnings go through the PGA program. Most send a letter to the R and A basically saying 'Dear R and A, Im now a professional'.

The pga program tells you how to coach and how to shop keep.

Why you need to pass a playing test for what they offer is beyond me...

Most of these are about 4 handicaps with ideas way above their station. I've always thought the limit should be 0 for bcoming a PGA pro, not 4.4 which isn't even a good club amateur.

That said, theres some very good PGA pro's who only coach and play in events. The same names clean up and earn a decent crust for playing but they're in the minority.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Most of these are about 4 handicaps with ideas way above their station. I've always thought the limit should be 0 for bcoming a PGA pro, not 4.4 which isn't even a good club amateur.

That said, theres some very good PGA pro's who only coach and play in events. The same names clean up and earn a decent crust for playing but they're in the minority.

having a low handicap doesn't necessarily make someone a good coach. Coaching like teaching is a very specific skill