Amateur Golf Competitions

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm really enjoying my golf game at the moment and looking forward to next year. I set myself a target in July to get down to a mid 20's handicap, at the moment I look like I'm below 28 which is a start.

I want to start playing some competitions, but don't really know where to start. I think I'm going to get a membership at a course next year which is a starting point, but what do you guys know about "open" competions away from your normal course?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
http://www.golfempire.co.uk/

gives a list of majority of Opens and can also set up email alerts for your area. Having got back playing again this year Im planning on playing a handful next summer.

the obvious stumbling block you are going to have with Opens is that you don't currently have a handicap and will need to join a club and get one before being able to compete

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Its a chicken and egg situation. You'll going to need a CONGU recognised handicap to enter these events and I'm not sure how you'll get one without joing a club and putting three handicap cards in

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well, I know the course I'm going to get the a membership with, and I can join pro rata until April or July, I would have been a member now but i had to spend the money id saved up on fixing my car... grrr!

I just want to get good and competitive!! :)