Alternative to Villamoura....

mickcof

Visit site
Hi guys, new to the forum and have a question about peoples experiences of European golf breaks...

My group (8 of us, handicaps 8 to 15 and aged 30s and 40s) have been to Villamoura every May for the last 5 years.

We've played every course there and we have now had enough of the place and are looking for a new destination to try. Both courses at Vale de Lobo are amazing but the Old Course and Victoria are looking very rough around the edges now - the new owners are seemingly only interested in grabbing the money and not looking after the courses or the customers. The other local courses (laguna, millenium) while still decent enough courses seem to be more full of stag do's than golfers the last few years.

What I'm asking is this: can anyone recommend a European destination for around middle of May with decent golf and a little bit of nightlife? We would like to play a couple of different courses rather than the same course 3 or 4 times. When I say nightlife, I mean that we would rather not be stuck at a resort where you're miles from the nearest town / village and there is limited choice in places to eat or go for a drink.

Any info or suggestions greatly appreciated.

thanks, Mick

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Costa Del Sol area of Spain? Absolute ton of excellent golf courses in the area, plenty of night life if you pick a decent town to stay in (La Cala de Mijas is very nice). Had plenty of excellent golfing holidays in that area of Spain, prefer it to Portugal personally.

D

Deleted member 1147

I've been to two of the other Algarve bases to stay & play:
Played the Pestana courses (Gramacho, Silves, etc) and stayed near a little town called Alvor, which was a decent drinking/eating location (that's west of Villamoura)
Also played Quinta do Cima & Quinta do Ria, and stayed in Tavira, which was similar to Alvor, but a bit less choice for the food/drink. (This is East of Villamoura near to Monte Rai)

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've been to two of the other Algarve bases to stay & play:
Played the Pestana courses (Gramacho, Silves, etc) and stayed near a little town called Alvor, which was a decent drinking/eating location (that's west of Villamoura)
Also played Quinta do Cima & Quinta do Ria, and stayed in Tavira, which was similar to Alvor, but a bit less choice for the food/drink. (This is East of Villamoura near to Monte Rai)

Played the Pestana courses last Sept, enjoyed them but would not say they were top class. We stayed at Gramacho which was a 10 min uber away from Carvoeiro, which has good nightlife. Have stayed in Alvor before, cracking place.

Not long back from a golfing trip to Turkey, different class from Portugal in my opinion. We got 5 nights in a 5 star AI and 3 rounds of golf for not much more than we paid in Portugal for 4 nights SC and 3 rounds. Courses were much better. Stayed at the Titanic in Belek. Probably wouldn't suit you as it's fair bit out of town, but it has plenty bars and restaurants and had a good atmosphere - would say it was 80% golfers there.

Grantley1988

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We rotate between Portugal and Spain. I agree that Villamoura gets boring after a while.

Whilst staying in Spain we stay in Benhavis. There is a great town there with ample choice of restaurants and bars. A taxi in to Puerto Banús is not that far when you want a late one! Being in the Costa Del Sol there are plenty of great courses for all budgets.

sunshine

Visit site
Hi guys, new to the forum and have a question about peoples experiences of European golf breaks...

My group (8 of us, handicaps 8 to 15 and aged 30s and 40s) have been to Villamoura every May for the last 5 years.

We've played every course there and we have now had enough of the place and are looking for a new destination to try. Both courses at Vale de Lobo are amazing but the Old Course and Victoria are looking very rough around the edges now - the new owners are seemingly only interested in grabbing the money and not looking after the courses or the customers. The other local courses (laguna, millenium) while still decent enough courses seem to be more full of stag do's than golfers the last few years.

What I'm asking is this: can anyone recommend a European destination for around middle of May with decent golf and a little bit of nightlife? We would like to play a couple of different courses rather than the same course 3 or 4 times. When I say nightlife, I mean that we would rather not be stuck at a resort where you're miles from the nearest town / village and there is limited choice in places to eat or go for a drink.

Any info or suggestions greatly appreciated.

thanks, Mick

If you love Vilamoura (and you must do if you've been there 5 years on the trot), then you'll probably like La Cala near Torremelinos. Or around Puerto Banus. Or Magaluf or Lanzarote. There are some ok courses near Benidorm too.