All things BBQ and Braai

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I had to restrain myself from getting one which was twice the size.

The plan is to reverse sear, then accompany with some hassle back potatoes, corn on the cob, asparagus wrapped in Parma ham and a creamy mushroom sauce.

I did nearly pick up some ribs, but the wife isn’t really a fan and can be a bit awkward eating finger food with the baby needing constant attention

Give the little un a meaty rib to chew on and that’s an hour teething. I bet the little un would love it.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had to restrain myself from getting one which was twice the size.

The plan is to reverse sear, then accompany with some hassle back potatoes, corn on the cob, asparagus wrapped in Parma ham and a creamy mushroom sauce.

I did nearly pick up some ribs, but the wife isn’t really a fan and can be a bit awkward eating finger food with the baby needing constant attention

Photos obviously as per the forum rules ;)

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Just went to the garden centre and they have replaced the Christmas decorations with BBQ and outdoor furniture stuff. Season must be coming up ;-)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This should be a simple one for the experts on here. My wife has an aversion to pork, particularly to the smell of it cooking. Very annoying as I love pork. Anyway, we have two joints which came as part of meat packs, one at Christmas the other bought from a wholesaler near Newcastle. I want to cook them but it wont happen inside the house.

I have a standard Weber kettle BBQ. What sort of charcoal do I need to cook something like this, how do i do it, how long etc.

I normally stick two backs of self igniting stuff in and off I go but this is going to need more guile than that.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
This should be a simple one for the experts on here. My wife has an aversion to pork, particularly to the smell of it cooking. Very annoying as I love pork. Anyway, we have two joints which came as part of meat packs, one at Christmas the other bought from a wholesaler near Newcastle. I want to cook them but it wont happen inside the house.

I have a standard Weber kettle BBQ. What sort of charcoal do I need to cook something like this, how do i do it, how long etc.

I normally stick two backs of self igniting stuff in and off I go but this is going to need more guile than that.

Couple of questions, though they probably dont affect the answers to your questions much:
  • Do you know what joint they are; Shoulder/Loin etc?
  • Weight of each joint?
  • Do you have a thermometer in the lid of your BBQ?
There are two options here I would say: Low and slow, or hot and fast. Both are perfectly good ways to cook a pork joint, but I would suggest using different types of charcoal for each.

For low and slow, I would use briquettes, set them out in a ring (search for the snake method on youtube), then stabalise the temp in your BBQ at 110-130 celcius, pop the pork in and leave it for a long time depending if you want to do pulled pork or not. You can quite easily leave the joint on there for 12 hours if it is big enough.

For hot and fast I would use lumpwood, this will give you the desired higher temperture but it will burn out quicker. For this I would make a pile of charcoal in one side of the BBQ (or a basket either side if you have them) so that you can have the joints positioned to that they arent directly over the heat. Stabalise the temperature at 160-180, pop the pork on and leave for approx 1hr 30 depending on the size (or if doing pulled) of the joints or until at the desired temp.

If you let us know what type of joints they are and the size we can make some more specific suggestions.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Okay, clearly a novice hear. I will look up what they are, size etc. and report back

Do I wrap it in foil or leave it au natural?

Will I need to add charcoal after time to keep it going or will it keep going on its own? I'm not sure I have the patience for a 12 hour cook so I will go for the lumpwood option.

D

Deleted member 16999

Okay, clearly a novice hear. I will look up what they are, size etc. and report back

Will I need to add charcoal after time to keep it going or will it keep going on its own? I'm not sure I have the patience for a 12 hour cook so I will go for the lumpwood option.
Will be far easier to send the wife on holiday and cook it in the oven.;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Will be far easier to send the wife on holiday and cook it in the oven.;)
Holidays, what are those? It's been so long.

In the past she would go away with my daughter for a weekend and I would go pork mad. Now my daughter is at university, lockdown restricts movement and so I've been stuffed for a year. I love a pork chop, I've missed them :cry:.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site

Theres no "need" to wrap it in foil, but it depends how you are cooking it.

Dont worry about cooking for 12 hours, that was just more of an extreme example if it is a really big joint. On a low and slow cook you are probably looking at 6+ hours though, so it does sound like the hot and fast method will be better for you.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Am gonna Chuck a massive curve ball in. Depending how you want your pork to turn out. You could try a slow cooker. I say that because I have done Coca Cola gammons ( different pork joint )in the slow cooker/ Oven and they are to die for. What ever you choose. You have two joints I would deffo do two different methods of cooking them.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Am gonna Chuck a massive curve ball in. Depending how you want your pork to turn out. You could try a slow cooker. I say that because I have done Coca Cola gammons ( different pork joint )in the slow cooker/ Oven and they are to die for. What ever you choose. You have two joints I would deffo do two different methods of cooking them.
In my case that would only work if the slow cooker was outside and that might tempt the local wildlife too much ?. It's the smell apparently ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Theres no "need" to wrap it in foil, but it depends how you are cooking it.

Dont worry about cooking for 12 hours, that was just more of an extreme example if it is a really big joint. On a low and slow cook you are probably looking at 6+ hours though, so it does sound like the hot and fast method will be better for you.
Charcoal will keep going that long? How much to chuck in would you recommend?

Both pork loin, 1.2kg each

Last edited: