All bunkers GUR ?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why would the club make all bunkers GUR?
And preferred lies in bunkers?

o_O

From CONGU special rules with rakes removed:

Bunkers: If clubs introduce a Local Rule to allow preferred lies in bunkers, scores will be acceptable for competition or supplementary score purposes. (Using Model Local Rule E-3)

Please note: The distance for preferred lies in the bunker is limited to 6 inches and the area cannot be smoothed before placing.

As an alternative (but not combined with the preferred lies detailed above) if the condition of bunkers is so poor that it interferes with the proper playing of the game, a club Committee may declare all bunkers to be Ground Under Repair, scores will be acceptable for competition or supplementary score purposes.

Note: These temporary provisions are applicable until further notice.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The Kings did this when we got back to golf after the first lockdown. changed back to PL in them after a lot of really low scores.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dont play any more so I've not joined anywhere.
And if you're getting preferred lies in bunkers, I don't think I'll bother
Didn't you ever complain when your ball was sitting in a large unraked footprint? ;)
There aren't any rakes now.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Didn't you ever complain when your ball was sitting in a large unraked footprint? ;)
There aren't any rakes now.

I don't get a preferred lie out of a divot in the middle of a fairway so why should I get one in a hazard?
Anyway, rakes will be reinstated by the time I play next so no problem

Swango1980

Visit site
It intrigues me that a round can be acceptable for handicap with all bunkers GUR. Preferred lies in bunkers, fair enough at this time. But GUR? Completely changes the game, can take much more aggressive lines without worrying if ball ends up in a bunker. Not to mention the fact that, on average, players probably end up in a few bunkers per round, and some players are horrific out of bunkers no matter the lie. So, for them, it is also a huge advantage.

I guess if the bunkers are GUR for a long period, then a some may find they get bigger cuts in handicap over time. They'll be in for a shock when we get back to normal.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think placing all bunkers GUR in most cases is a bit extreme but having a stroll around Royal North Devon I can see the problem as the sheep seem to take a liking to spending their evenings in the things and its more that a foot print that you have to worry about.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It intrigues me that a round can be acceptable for handicap with all bunkers GUR. Preferred lies in bunkers, fair enough at this time. But GUR? Completely changes the game, can take much more aggressive lines without worrying if ball ends up in a bunker. Not to mention the fact that, on average, players probably end up in a few bunkers per round, and some players are horrific out of bunkers no matter the lie. So, for them, it is also a huge advantage.

I guess if the bunkers are GUR for a long period, then a some may find they get bigger cuts in handicap over time. They'll be in for a shock when we get back to normal.
I suspect it may have less impact under WHS than CONGU

Swango1980

Visit site
I suspect it may have less impact under WHS than CONGU
I assume having bunkers under GUR is only relevant during Covid? What about when Covid passes? I seem to remember discussions here that a round could not be qualifying (in the old days) if 50% or more of bunkers were out of action. However, I'm not sure where that advice was, perhaps an England Golf instruction.

However, what about WHS. If a club decided to make all bunkers GUR after Covid, would the round be acceptable for handicap? WHS only talks about number of temporary greens and course length changes.