Alignment issues

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
The last couple of months I've been fighting alignment problems, basically after my holiday ive somehow got myself in a mess. My feet are in a closed position while my shoulders are open, as you can imagine I'm getting some pretty strange ball flights. It started as I was hooking the Ball which part of the problem was the open shoulders, in trying to get them straight I must have closed my stance off.

My main point are there any drills other than the obvious of hitting the range with some tour sticks etc??

I think I'm finding more frustrating as I've spent god knows how long fighting a fade / slice now I've a draw / hook.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was hooking the Ball which part of the problem was the open shoulders, ......

unlikely, but possible...generally open shoulders in isolation is more likely to result in a fade, but clearly here it's not in isolation!

you need to develop a drill in setting up that not only results in correct allignement but delivers confidence that this is the case. Ideally, for the sake of your playing partners as much as you, it shouldn't involve laying clubs on the ground, along the hips or shoulders etc etc!

On the range use tour sticks, on the tee use the mown line on the tee if possible in the same way and on the fairway just trust (or allign the club face and ball to something on the fairway, your feet to the club face and the rest follows from there...

Not sure I'm raising anything you don't already know - the good news is that most people get lax on allignment until it starts affecting the swing (as yours).

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
When you practice always put a shaft (or V-Easy) down. Get the basics right and it makes everything so simple. Try and film the swing from down the line and maybe get your pro to have a look. Fundamentals are essential (as I'm finding out) as it makes the swing simple and there is no need to make compensations. It really is a simple game made hard!

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I seriously feel your pain. There are a few good drills on you tube, I suffer really badly. I have found it doesnt help going to the range as the bays and square mats all tend to work in right angles.
I am booking lessons to help me with this before the season starts. I will be following this thread carefully ;)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My bad thing is often my setup is absolutely fine I am just pointing the wrong blooming way!

Throw down some sticks, remember that your club points at the target BUT your feet and shoulders point just to the left of it (right hander), if you try and aim those right at the target you will end up closed. If you constantly end up 5 yards to the left of the intended target aim 5 yards to its right and draw that ball in! There is little benefit to a straight shot when compared to a repeatable draw or fade!

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers looks like its some work with the sticks then! It's so frustrating as was playing some good stuff before the hols! On the 17th my partners lined my body and feet up for me and boom long straight drive, so it's def my alignment causing most the heart ache at the moment, that and my trying to hit the ball to hard instead of swinging smoothly through but that's another thread on its own lol !

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Here's a cracking tip I learnt yesterday on the range as I have exactly the same issue, stance closed when I think it is neutral.
Once you've lined the club up to your target line and taken your stance, use the bottom end of the grip on each club and imagine a line running along the ground at this point parallel to the target. Check that your feet are in line with the grip.
Hope this makes sense.

So with the club at address draw a parallel line on the ground in line with the base end of the grip.

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
Obviously this is easily practised on the range but a tip for out on the course that I found useful: take your stance next to your ball and with your shoulders square and parallel to your toes, drop the club down and place across your thighs with grip pointing towards shot direction. If you look along the line of the club, the grip should be pointing towards the target and there is then a good chance that your feet, shoulders and aim are square AND aligning to where you want the ball to go.

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
Interesting video, do you subscribe to revolution golf? I get the free emails.

I subscribe to it and there are some really good videos in there - I think the library has over 600 of them. You have to put up with loads of emails trying to flog you stuff as well - that you can't really buy as its mainly for the US.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well finally managed to get to the range last night! Busy week! Wow the sticks really helped, picked a bay they helped me pick a target so could use the line of the power tee and set down the veasy as a line for my feet. So knowing these lines let me then concentrate on my shoulders. Still the odd hook which was a different problem but most shots were good and straight with a lovely flight, even hit a few slight fades with the driver which hasn't happened in months!

Just hope now I can grove the feeling a bit more and take it to the course! If they ever open it this weekend.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Well finally managed to get to the range last night! Busy week! Wow the sticks really helped, picked a bay they helped me pick a target so could use the line of the power tee and set down the veasy as a line for my feet. So knowing these lines let me then concentrate on my shoulders. Still the odd hook which was a different problem but most shots were good and straight with a lovely flight, even hit a few slight fades with the driver which hasn't happened in months!

Just hope now I can grove the feeling a bit more and take it to the course! If they ever open it this weekend.

Good old V-Easy strikes again. Glad its helping :)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yeah get get a few of those! At the moment I only get the videos for 3 days. Some have been very helpful. What does it cost if you don't mind?
I think you might be confusing Revolution with RotarySwing (or something like that). I seem to be able to see all the vids I've been sent - and stored.

Rotary certainly disabled access after 3 days, so I unsubscribed.

The subscription (VIP) part of Revolution gives access to ALL vids and some 'exclusive' ones as well. I'm happy with the freebies.