Albatross Vs Hole in one

nyckuk

Visit site
Everyone asks about hole in ones and are seen as the holy grail , but should the Albatross be the greatest achievement in golf ??

Im fortunate enough to have had 2 holes in ones, but a Albatross not even close . I guess they a reserved for the younger folk and big hitters .
Generally most Par 3's are 100-180 yards and you've got it teed up where an Albatross your playing it from the deck at 200+ yards.
My chances of getting one now are next to zero im losing distance as the years go bye .

How many hole in ones you had verses albatrosses

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well they're definitely more difficult, probably so rare among amateurs that they're not worth talking about. Almost anyone could get a hole in one with a good shot and a bit of luck. Whereas an albatross would be damn near impossible for me and many other golfers.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is quick and easy for me:

No holes in one v no albatrosses!

I see what you're saying, an albatross is harder to come by as you only get a chance of making one once in a blue moon. I can count on one finger the number of times I've been pin high in 2 shots on a par 5 in the last 12 months.

Maybe more possible if you play links golf and you have a day with a strong wind behind you on a par 5, in summer with baked fairways! Even then, though far more hole in one opportunities are available.

Fabia999

Visit site
Everyone asks about hole in ones and are seen as the holy grail , but should the Albatross be the greatest achievement in golf ??

Im fortunate enough to have had 2 holes in ones, but a Albatross not even close . I guess they a reserved for the younger folk and big hitters .
Generally most Par 3's are 100-180 yards and you've got it teed up where an Albatross your playing it from the deck at 200+ yards.
My chances of getting one now are next to zero im losing distance as the years go bye .

How many hole in ones you had verses albatrosses

0 and 0. Three years and I've been about three foot away. I've never even had an eagle before.

greatest achievement should be a condor?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Three aces for me, but never close to an albatross.

I’ve seen two albatrosses at our place - one from a mate who still hasn’t had an eagle, believe it or not!

D

Deleted member 29109

I can recall having 3 albatrosses but have only had 1 hole in one. Been close a number of times.

Two of the albatrosses were on the second at my old home course (Northcliffe in Shipley). Which is a dogleg par 5 that you can cut the corner, where if you get lucky with your landing spot you can have a wedge or short iron in for your second shot.
The other was on the 18th at Baildon near Bradford. Which is a downhill par 5. If you get lucky the fairway can be baked hard like concrete and with a tailwind a good drive can lead to a very short second shot.

I think I've seen more holes in one on par 4s than hole in ones on par 3s. Northcliffe hade a few short par 4s that were reachable from the tee.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
3 Aces here
No Albatrosses but I've been fairly close in the past.
Had a 6 inch Eagle putt at my first club and hit a pin and stopped a yard away at my 2nd.
Now I only have 4 par 5s at Ellesborough and I can't reach any of them in 2 unless there's a heck of a wind behind on the 12th...no realistically drivable par 4s either...

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Theres two par 4's at my place which are driveable, especially in the summer. Both have been holed in one before (one multiple times). Probably the easiest bet of getting an albertross!

Id need to learn to hit driver off the deck to get close to an albertross on a par 5!

1 Hole in one when I was 13/14 and played a lot one summer! Id love that again now!

D

Deleted member 25172

Never seen any of the two myself, but my playing partner this past weekend holed out for an eagle from 190 yards. Stunning shot and I think I was almost as excited as him when I saw it go in.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well they're definitely more difficult, probably so rare among amateurs that they're not worth talking about. Almost anyone could get a hole in one with a good shot and a bit of luck. Whereas an albatross would be damn near impossible for me and many other golfers.

Mate of mine did it a few months ago. He's a monster hitter , par 5 cut the corner with a hyrbid found his ball in hole

Thing is hole in one you see his was impossible to see

Great feeling I bet but if you don't see it must not feel as great

I've holed out from 100 yards for par and felt amazing aha

D

Deleted member 15344

Have one albatross - the par 5 third at Springs just outside Wallingford . Nice little rescue from 200 yards , smashed the flag and dropped ?

Zig

Visit site
I’ve holed a 3 wood for a 2 on a medium length par 5. Couldn’t see it drop, knew it was close then the closer to the hole you got and couldn’t see it, knew it was in.
Not as exciting as seeing a hole in 1 go in in my opinion; lucky to have had 2 (after 15 years of trying!!!), both a week apart, both 8 irons, but at different holes/courses. Enjoyed these much more! Just think it’s a total fluke holing a 3 wood, whereas at least you can say you were trying to hit it close on a shortish par 3 (granted, it’s still a total fluke!)

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have had two holes in one, one of which was an albatross after holing my drive cutting the corner on a par 4!

Have to say the hole in one on the par 3 was a lot more satisfying as I actually hit the exact shot I wanted, straight at the flag one bounce and in whereas the albatross was just a smashed drive over trees that I have no idea what happened to once it cleared the trees

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never put in the hole for 2 on a par 5 just many times on par 4s and only one ace for me. on a 220 yard par 3.

So on that basis the albatross is the rare beast and something I am never likely to achieve on one of 3 true par 5s where I play (all off whites).

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Had an albatross on a winter green.

we were abroad and there was a plaque on a course where a 21 handicapper had a 2 on a par 5 which was SI 3. Imagine saying that’s 2 for 6!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Had 2 HIOs. Been close to several Albatrosses, but only the winged kind!! Never likely to get close to the golfing kind; a couple of eagles at Craigielaw (11 & 15) both involved knee-trembling putts; the latter in my lowest scoring round (-1).