Aftermarket sleeve adapters?

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am looking for a couple of Callaway optifit sleeve adapters to put onto shafts I trust and know well. They are not the cheapest of things and came across an aftermarket one from Hong Kong on Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-335-Ti...679312?hash=item3620739390:g:HAkAAOSwtRBZqUyi

I would usually be the first person to tell anyone else to stay away from such and buy something that wont see your head go flying down the fairway. I've fitted many an adapter over the years, but nothing from Hong Kong.

Given it is roughly 1/3 of the price of ones I can get locally what do people think of these or have you any personal experience. Give me reasons as to why I shouldn't buy these or why they wouldn't work?

Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
ive had TM and Mizuno adapters form far east traders on ebay and had no problem with them, in fact i think both were made in the same factory as the originals

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance but how are these fitted to the shaft ?

Epoxy (type of glue) used to attach adapter to tip of shaft. Unless you know what your doing, it is probably best to ask your pro or a golf shop to do this for you. That being said, if your decent at DIY, happy to watch videos on shaft fitting and do a bit of research, it's not the hardest thing in the world to do. We all start somewhere. I've done many shaft pulls and fitting without issues, but I research to death a job before I do it for the first time

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ones I'm currently using took nearly 2 months to arrive - but that was the only downside I'm aware of.
Only one has been tested in the field but I've no reason to suspect it's made of painted chocolate :thup:

D

Deleted Member 1156

If the copies are a 1/3rd of the price at around £3 then personally I would pay for the genuine articles as shafts can be expensive to replace. Just my personal viewpoint.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The ones at £9/10 are also aftermarket sleeves and to be honest look the exact same. The only difference appears to be that the sellers are UK based. It is distinctly possible that the ones some people feel safe to buy are the same, if not bought from the Asian sellers and being sold on for profit?

How are we to ever know. I have seen the so called authentic ones for around 18 quid. None on Ebay - just UK sellers admitting theirs are aftermarket and selling for a tenner and the Asian ones at £4 or under. Both look identical.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The ones at £9/10 are also aftermarket sleeves and to be honest look the exact same. The only difference appears to be that the sellers are UK based. It is distinctly possible that the ones some people feel safe to buy are the same, if not bought from the Asian sellers and being sold on for profit?

How are we to ever know. I have seen the so called authentic ones for around 18 quid. None on Ebay - just UK sellers admitting theirs are aftermarket and selling for a tenner and the Asian ones at £4 or under. Both look identical.

Good summary.

They are also at the price point where low volume personal imports (2 or 3) don't attract vat and UK handling so there's no reason why they can't be the same product.

You won't know.

Mark_Aged_42

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you epoxy the adapator to a shaft, is that a permanent fix, or can the two be seperated at some time in the future?
Ie, when the shaft has to go on the naughty step.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you epoxy the adapator to a shaft, is that a permanent fix, or can the two be seperated at some time in the future?
Ie, when the shaft has to go on the naughty step.

Ive found you can get the shaft out, but damaged the sleeve doing so, but rather that than the other way round. sleeves can get for as little as a few quid, shafts on the other hand

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
its easy to get an adapter off without damaging it. you need a shaft puller and instead of putting the club head in the vice you attach a screw and washer into the clamp instead.

the ferrel will be destroyed though

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just be aware - its not that easy all the time if you don't have the right equipment. If you have a shaft puller its as easy as it gets, but a shaft puller is not cheap.

I estimate I have pulled adapters from about 12-15 graphite shafts (steel is very easy) without a shaft puller. Shaft in vice (with protection) heat applied using a heat gun and the adapter pulled by using pliers attached to the screw at the end of the adapter. All bar one has come off with ease. One no matter what I done would not budge. I destroyed the shaft in my attempts and I would consider myself experienced in shaft pulls. You must never twist the adapter. It can destroy the fibres in the shaft. Also too much heat can also destroy the tip.

Hundreds of stories on the net as to such. Get the right equipment or pay a golf store/club builder who has the equipment. As I don't have a shaft puller and don't intend to buy one I will probably think twice before trying it again with a heat gun etc.