After a round...

mickytwodesks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
what is the most important, stapelford score or number of strokes? Breaking 100, etc. seems to be an important milestones but no one ever seems to mention 'ooo i must score 35+ points'.

I'm currently very inconsistant, play some holes well (par) and others like i have never seen a golf club before. So my stapelford score is reasonable (31 points) but going around in 107 strokes seems pretty rubbish!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Points are a good indicator but strokes are accurate, in stroke competitions there is a need for closer concentration, you cant just lift the ball. I prefer strokes as a lower handicapper as it encourages you to really think your way round. I think points are more preferred by higher handicappers (without trying to sound patronising or owt) as a bad hole can be easily recovered from and having 34 points sounds ok, even if there was an otherwise card wrecking 8 or 9 marked in strokes.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Even though my game is in bigger feefall than Northern Rock I prefer the challenge of medal (strokes) play. If I'm playing badly it is easy to fall into the habit of saying ok I didn't score on that hole, if I par the next 2 with my shots I'm still OK

That can't happen in medal where every shot is precious. Its all about getting it round. You may not always play pretty golf (I've bascially played golf by numbers when I've been playing bad to try and fashion a score) but as everyone keeps saying on here there are no pictures on the scorecard (apart from the one of the clubhouse on the front of ours!!!)

mickytwodesks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry Homer i must have replied to both my thread as you where answering them.

Yeah i know the freefall feeling, i'm just scrapping around for some positives after a disapointing round today.

paralysis by analysis is a great saying and i'm sure i suffer from it already. I tried listening to my ipod as i played today (only one ear so i could hear any 'fours'!) but it didnt help - it actuall put me off i think.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Mickeytwodesks

I posted "seeds of recovery" yesterday. Played a stableford today and although it was only 26 points the difference in ball striking between today and the last few weeks was huge. I don't think the 4 putt and 3 3 putts helped

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Stableford's good for high handicappers like myself, it also gives you a chance to compete against the lower handicappers.
Medal play although good for analysis purposes can soon become a shocker if a few badly played holes can surely ruin your card.
I think most people can instantly relate to strokeplay and judge their performance accordingly. Targets are easily set, ie shoot under 100, 90, 80 etc.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like to judge my performance by the medal score. If I'm in trouble on a hole in a matchplay or stableford, I'll often try risky stuff or conversely, just blob.
So at the end of the round I'll consider those holes (not many, in reality) and think, "well I made a 7 pushing for a 5, in medal it might have been a 6, probably. Take my normal/good holes, and add an approximate medal score if I'd played safe....that gives a good indication of whether I was anywhere near my h'cap.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Medal is best,when we play Stableford I need to get around 38-42 points to win as the guys wont go for3/4 handicaps.

I know I am a whinger but you try beating the golf course.

(Bit sore after a spanking in the Winter Greensomes yesterday)

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
After a round I put my score on my score tracker and see what my unofficial new handicap is, I find it pretty good I would put all the stats in if I could be bothered to record them on the course but I am enjoying the course too much to worry about the small things.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
IN my opinion it does not matter what game you are playing-Matchplay, Stapleford or Medal--during the round its the score that counts so that means strokes taken per hole. the only difference in medal play is every shot counts whereas in stapleford or matchplay a bad hole can be forgotten by the time you reach the next tee.

Stewman

Visit site
I am constantly torn between the merits Stableford and medal, but feel more drawn to medal as I improve as a golfer. (handicap improved 4 strokes last year to 19). In terms of using either scoring system to rate my play, I now try to only remember the 4 or 5 best shots of each round whatever method is in play. I find that my post round analysis is much more fun and it doesn't allow a few fluffed golf shots upset my mood for the rest of the day

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I find I count in my head as I play, so it is easier to count strokes over par, than to count stableford, as the numbers are smaller (ie: hopefully less than 12).

I have tried not counting, but subconciously, I do it anyway. I always know how I am scoring in a round, so there is no point in thinking about it afterwards, as I already know.