Advice you wish you had when you first started?

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Look at Plane Truth by Jim Hardy which explains the difference between one plane (more around the body) and two plane (more upright). Both are effective and both can be taught effectively by a good professional depending on how a pupil swings the club

Thanks Homer, I've already got Plane Truth by Jim Hardy which I regard as my golfing bible.
The Coach that I'm using is a Level 2 Plane Truth certified teacher.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes I'm a One Planer.
My Coach was taught by Jim Hardy. He goes over to the States for clinics with him. He was there a few weeks back along with a certain Hunter Mahan
Pro at my club goes over for clinics as well. He has had some great results with members.

Appears I am a natural one planer, but also naturally crap at golf.:(

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yes I'm a One Planer.
My Coach was taught by Jim Hardy. He goes over to the States for clinics with him. He was there a few weeks back along with a certain Hunter Mahan
I've tried to become a one planer. The pro that taught me also goes to the US and a few years back Jim Hardy was actually at Blue Mountain in Bracknell doing a clinic for the teachers learning the system. It appears I get better results as a two planer but the one plane feels better and more natural for me. I wish I'd learned as a one planer but I feel it'll be too big a change to swap methods now. As I've said before though, I'm accepting that to get as low as some of the single figure guys at my club you don't need textbook, you need functional

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To Start the backswing with body rotation and not wrist movement.

Honestly think I would be a much much better golfer if I could banish my inside takeaway for good.

I have good days when my timing is bang on. It can be extraordinary destructive at times though.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Enjoy the game for what it is, a game. Bad shots happen, bad breaks happen, bad bounces happen. Laugh it off and move onto the next shot.

A good example of this: 1st tee, 1st shot yesterday morning, I've hit my drive straight left, it's hit a tree about 80 yards away and come back 100 yards diagonally onto the 18th green. Sh*t happens.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Lessons are good, if they're with a good pro... I don't think lessons are necessarily a must myself, but I can absolutely see the benefits when they're with a good pro.

Also, people suggest lessons on here as if they cost the price of a pint :D If you can get someone to show you some basic fundamentals, then absolutely do it - grip is important. (Try to get the grip right to start with, even to the point that you're watching tv with a club in your hands - correctly of course!)

In terms of technique... People have a million different ways to do it, even pros, which is why it's so important to find a good pro. If you can't afford lessons, checking out vids online can be good and bad. Short game I think can be looked at online and implemented into your game well, but the full swing...?

If you are looking at the full swing vids though, I would recommend Robin Matthews-Williams Youtube channel. He isn't everyone's cup of tea and that's putting it mildly, but in terms of a swing that works... All I can say is that he has brought back some real enjoyment to my game when hitting a golf ball. Long, high, pure contact.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Lessons are good, if they're with a good pro... I don't think lessons are necessarily a must myself, but I can absolutely see the benefits when they're with a good pro.

Also, people suggest lessons on here as if they cost the price of a pint :D If you can get someone to show you some basic fundamentals, then absolutely do it - grip is important. (Try to get the grip right to start with, even to the point that you're watching tv with a club in your hands - correctly of course!)

In terms of technique... People have a million different ways to do it, even pros, which is why it's so important to find a good pro. If you can't afford lessons, checking out vids online can be good and bad. Short game I think can be looked at online and implemented into your game well, but the full swing...?

If you are looking at the full swing vids though, I would recommend Robin Matthews-Williams Youtube channel. He isn't everyone's cup of tea and that's putting it mildly, but in terms of a swing that works... All I can say is that he has brought back some real enjoyment to my game when hitting a golf ball. Long, high, pure contact.
I think most on here accept lessons aren't cheap and have to be seen as an investment. I do agree that there are many ways to swing a club but all the good players have solid fundamentals and get the club square at impact.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Take lessons to get the fundamentals in place and then focus on the game from the green backwards towards the tee! More shots are lost and gained on and around the greens and building a strong ability there will reward you much more than 10 extra yards off the tee :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would say lessons if i was honest. i avoided them to start with, but my handicap came down quite quickly and genuinely believed lessons would rob me of my enjoyment. in fact it would have saved me leaning bad habits and the wrong fundamentals from the start. would have been easier to do it then than years later

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
To Start the backswing with body rotation and not wrist movement.

Honestly think I would be a much much better golfer if I could banish my inside takeaway for good.

I have good days when my timing is bang on. It can be extraordinary destructive at times though.

Sounds like an analysis of my swing. :(

albatross2

Visit site
More than one thing I wish I'd been told.

Par is a largely irrelevant number. Golf is about getting the ball in the hole in as few strokes as you are able. The correlation between score and distance is to be expected. Indeed, a par 3 is typically quite a bit shorter than a par 5. If you can hit the ball a total of 300 yards in 2 shots, you simply are not as likely to make par on a hole that is 375 yards. Establish reasonable goals and don't be blinded by "par".

Play a round with only 4 clubs: 3 or 5 wood; 6 iron; wedge; putter. Golf isn't about choosing the right club, it's about hitting the right shot. IMO, 14 clubs can be downright confusing for the new golfer. The most important thing is to learn how to swing.

And chip and putt a lot.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
easy for me, get lessons early and dont watch too many youtube vids or buy books as it just messed me up.

One more tip would be buy some half decent clubs and learn to use em, do not try to buy extra yards or accuracy as that comes through practice and playing :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
More than one thing I wish I'd been told.

Par is a largely irrelevant number. Golf is about getting the ball in the hole in as few strokes as you are able. The correlation between score and distance is to be expected. Indeed, a par 3 is typically quite a bit shorter than a par 5. If you can hit the ball a total of 300 yards in 2 shots, you simply are not as likely to make par on a hole that is 375 yards. Establish reasonable goals and don't be blinded by "par".

Play a round with only 4 clubs: 3 or 5 wood; 6 iron; wedge; putter. Golf isn't about choosing the right club, it's about hitting the right shot. IMO, 14 clubs can be downright confusing for the new golfer. The most important thing is to learn how to swing.

And chip and putt a lot.
Some sound advice. I'd add in that bogey can be your friend at times and better to walk off a hole with a five than run up an eight. If you get a shot and its a bogey net par, then no damage down anyway. Play within limitations and if you get in trouble, get out the easiest way possible and leave yourself in a good position for the next shot

Mrs Wiggles

Visit site
Someone please explain to me why lessons are a must? I've never had a lesson in my life.

I had a couple of lessons with a very good pro when I started playing golf, and they really helped. Three years down the line, I find them to do more harm than good. However, that isn't to say that I don't take tips from better golfers. Lessons are very subjective.

I would have got better more quickly if someone had told me to keep my left arm straight. I ended up figuring this out for myself, and was then told it was correct. Think of your body as a pendulum, and keep your swing simple. You will learn more from watching women pros than men.