Advice wanted: Budget ladies clubs

happy2hack

Visit site
Hi folks,

First post, and I'm after some advice. My daughter is looking to move on from junior to ladies clubs. Although she's played for a little while, I don't want to spend loads, so we're looking for a set on a budget.

I've scoured the net and found a few sets which look like good value, but they're not brands I know too much about. I wondered whether anyone out there has some experience, and could enlighten me. The stuff I've seen is:

Confidence golf
Texan (or maybe Texan Classic)
and Prosimmon

Anyone know about these brands.

On another point, these brands come in a "ladies pettite" size, which the website says is suitable for ladies up to 5 foot 3. As my daughter (and my wife) isn't very tall, this sounds reasonable. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

H2H

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hello h2h,

I have a daughter looking to move up to bigger clubs. I've seen some of these sets you have mentioned and t.b.h they are not the greatest. Out of the three, I'd say the prosimmon set at £90 ish are the best bet.

I am considering investing in individual clubs made by Masters Golf. American golf do these....they work out a bit pricey but are exactly the right length and I'm sure I can find a suitable bag for peanuts. At £15 per club (putters are less?) a six piece set is £90, but if you were to mix and match a set you might be able to haggle a good deal.

The other thought we had was to look at the Jack Nicklaus range. These get a bad wrap on here (for gents and for the "hard sell") but the girls/small ladies set looks quite good quality. In my day, smaller players used to use cut down clubs...this is less satisfactory nowadays as graphite shafted clubs are risky to cut down.

If I may offer one more idea......there is a great set of Ping clubs for juniors called "moxie". Boys use them up to about 12 or 13 and girls/ladies a tad small for full size can manage to play with these well. Even a new set might not be such a bad deal as I'd imagine there would be quite a good chance you could sell them on sensible money.

other than that.....

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The other thought we had was to look at the Jack Nicklaus range. These get a bad wrap on here (for gents and for the "hard sell") but the girls/small ladies set looks quite good quality.
I was bludgeoned nto loking at these last year by an AG salesman. I was looking to move up from budget to next level so turned them down, but agree they looked and felt good value.

AliB

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can only pass on experience from my wife. She started with a set of Ram clubs and had all sorts of problems with them.

She then ended up with a set of MD Blackhaeks and an MD EQL driver and is coming on leaps and bounds.

MD is a good option with less than a £300 outlay for the full set.

mickytwodesks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i started off with a set of Ram clubs and quickly found them restrictive and moved onto the Mizunos.

Sometimes the cheaper sets are a false economy. I dont know how serious your daughter is with golf nor your budget but if you could stetch to around £300 you could get a decent set (MD are very good) or even look on golfbidder for some quality second hand clubs:

http://www.golfbidder.co.uk/specialty/2/ladies.html

Mike

oikoink84

Visit site
Hi
Don't know if this any help but I am registered as fan to golf division on their ebay shop and I just got a mail from them saying they have reduced their bronty sets to £78.99 on www.golfdivision.co.uk. I have a set of the ladies bronty and I have to say I have only just started out but so far they are great. bit gutted though I paid at least £50 quid more when i won mine via there ebay auction!!! Really not fair!
anyway thought it mite be of some help. :mad:

happy2hack

Visit site
Hi folks,

Thanks for the info. I'll take a good look at the brands suggested.

In general I'd have to agree with the whole "false economy" thing. "Buy cheap... buy twice".

I suspect though we might end up trying to pick the best of the budget deals. I'm just not sure that she's committed enough to invest hundreds of pounds. Just a few weeks ago I was telling her that unless she made better use of her membership I won't be paying it next year.

Thanks once again.