Advice please as to Southport area courses

heronsghyll

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Forumers,

I am going to arrange small golf tour to the Southport area next year - approx. 3-4 days.

I have played a number of courses in the area and have always had a great time on previous trips including:

Birkdale
Royal Liverpool
Lytham St Annes
Hillside
Southport and Ainslie
West Lancs
Formby

I was wondering if anyone could advise me (maybe forum members who live in the area) if these courses are worth playing?

Fairhaven
Hesketh
St Anne's Old
Wallasey

I am keen to play all courses in that area that are worth playing and would really value advice as to whether these are worth visiting and playing, or if I have missed any out in the locality.

Many thanks in advance.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
St Annes Old Links and Fairhaven both very good tracks and have both bee Open Qualifying courses in the recent past. SAOL is a classic links and similar to the Southport courses on your list, a brute in the wind. Fairhaven is quite "linksy" in style (flat, hard fairways, well bunkered) but in more of a parkland setting and a bit more sheltered. May make for a change of scenery if your other courses are predominantly links?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Wallasey is, Hesketh isn't.

Can't advise on the others I'm afraid.

heronsghyll

Head Pro
Visit site
St Annes Old Links and Fairhaven both very good tracks and have both bee Open Qualifying courses in the recent past. SAOL is a classic links and similar to the Southport courses on your list, a brute in the wind. Fairhaven is quite "linksy" in style (flat, hard fairways, well bunkered) but in more of a parkland setting and a bit more sheltered. May make for a change of scenery if your other courses are predominantly links?

Thanks - can I ask you if you know Hesketh and Wallasey? Any good?

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
The ones you have played are the 'cream'. IMO, SAOL, Fairhavean and Wallasey are really great courses too and well worth a visit on a trip up. There is not a lot of love for Hesketh, but thats because its probably the lesser of the courses that you have listed. Still, the 7 holes around the clubhouse are really nice. You then cross a road and the holes are more 'moorland' in feel and not as good. It's not a bad course though, but wouldnt pay more than say £30 for a round there.

merv79

Head Pro
www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk
I have played Birkdale, S&A, Formby and West Lancs, all courses I would highly recommend.

Hesketh on the other hand I would say to avoid unless you are really struggling to get a game somewhere else. I recall it had 5 or 6 good linksy holes however at least half of the course was of a very unlinksy nature, and were not particularly enjoyable or memorable.