Advice on iron shafts:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
After changing my irons last year my iron distance has progressively got worse throughout this season. Now I'm not putting this down to the shafts as such, but I do think it's effected how I swing the club which has unfortunately rubbed off throughout the bag.

My previous clubs were tp cb's fitted with xps300's and when playing well my 8i would be around 150/155, 7i 165/175 and the gapping was consistent.

When looking for a new set of irons I paid for a fitting which was done on the dna and a flightscope and it was suggested that the below shafts were most suited.

DG R300's
KBS TOURS
PXI5.5
Xps105

the r300's just didn't feel right and the time, the kbs felt easy to hit and Lower launching than the xp's, px felt dead and the xp105 felt the same as I was gaming, very easy to hit but to high in flight.

I went with a set of kbs shafted irons and over the year the distances along with confidence has packed up and vacated the building. The swing has got short and snatch you with hardly any tempo or swing speed and I'm standing over most shots already deflated.

From the shaft experts on here, would you expect a massive change in the playing characteristics of the KBS120 over the XPS300 in the 95g?

When I originally purchased the irons I was a clear 10 yards up on every shot but now, I'm almost 20-25 shorter. I'm not sure if phycologically my head is telling me the clubs are just too much.

With many Black Friday offers being snapped up I'm still finding some deals and I'm very tempted to just take a step back are try something else, but I do love the irons..... Maybe the spec just isn't right

thanks in advance for any constructive feedback.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Had 4 lessons.

At no point were clubs discussed, but a similar thing happened when I tried to bag px6's. Although soft stepped I felt I had to lean on every shot so bailed on them before I got into bad habits

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
After changing my irons last year my iron distance has progressively got worse throughout this season. Now I'm not putting this down to the shafts as such, but I do think it's effected how I swing the club which has unfortunately rubbed off throughout the bag.

My previous clubs were tp cb's fitted with xps300's and when playing well my 8i would be around 150/155, 7i 165/175 and the gapping was consistent.

When looking for a new set of irons I paid for a fitting which was done on the dna and a flightscope and it was suggested that the below shafts were most suited.

DG R300's
KBS TOURS
PXI5.5
Xps105

the r300's just didn't feel right and the time, the kbs felt easy to hit and Lower launching than the xp's, px felt dead and the xp105 felt the same as I was gaming, very easy to hit but to high in flight.

I went with a set of kbs shafted irons and over the year the distances along with confidence has packed up and vacated the building. The swing has got short and snatch you with hardly any tempo or swing speed and I'm standing over most shots already deflated.

From the shaft experts on here, would you expect a massive change in the playing characteristics of the KBS120 over the XPS300 in the 95g?

When I originally purchased the irons I was a clear 10 yards up on every shot but now, I'm almost 20-25 shorter. I'm not sure if phycologically my head is telling me the clubs are just too much.

With many Black Friday offers being snapped up I'm still finding some deals and I'm very tempted to just take a step back are try something else, but I do love the irons..... Maybe the spec just isn't right

thanks in advance for any constructive feedback.

Baz, i would suggest trying to buy an odd iron or borrow one for a few weeks to make sure. The trouble with fitting is you get fitted for the swing you turn up with that day and if you are like most handicap golfers that can be diff day to day.

I switched from S300 which Id used since 2007 and had in every set since than to the KBS c taper 120. by your figures you are 1 club longer than me, but that might be down to temp and air pressure up here.

i borrowed a set for a couple of weeks, to make the decision to go with these shafts. I struggled for a few months until at least May to get used to the new shafts. they felt dead to start with, but all of a sudden it clicked.

Wouldn't change back now, the Ctaper are easy to hit and I'm now hitting my irons better than i ever have.

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you were fitted for the shafts and had all the data at the time of purchase then im sure the results were very similar to your old irons at the time of purchase.
Therefore I dont think the shafts nor performance is down to the clubs or else you wouldnt have bought them.

Hate to say it but its probably your game at the moment and not the clubs unless you are making some drastic swing changes