Advice needed

cs1986

Club Champion
Visit site
Without wanting to bore you too much with details, basically I have reached a point in my life where I have a bit more spare time and a bit more spare money and I would like to play golf more as it is something I have always enjoyed. I am 31 and have played golf on and off for 20+ years. By on and off I mean I was a member of a club as a youth and then throughout my 20's I would have some years where I didn't hit a single ball and some where I would go to the driving range pretty regular and play the odd 18.

I think my best round ever on a full 18 hole course is like 102 so I am by no means anything special but I do wonder how much of that is down to the stop-start nature of my golf play and would like to see how good I can get with lots of regular play.

So, I have a couple of questions as I look towards the rest of 2018 as my year of getting back into the swing of it (sorry for the pun):

My clubs are probably 20 years old now and definitely need re-gripping if not just fully replacing. I do have some spare money but not infinite amounts so...

Should I stick with my current clubs (having them re-gripped) and spend my money on joining a club asap?
Should I spend my money this year on some irons, spend 2018 at the driving range and playing a few different courses and going for a membership in 2019?
Should I do neither, keeping my old clubs and just playing rounds and driving ranges?
I am located between Preston and Bolton, there are so many golf clubs around here, if I am to join one can anyone recommend a good one that won't cost me £1000+?

I can't really shell out for Irons and Membership this year so really its a decision between the two for now.
If I was to go for Irons, I was looking around £400-£500. Have seen Callaway Golf XR, TaylorMade RocketBladez and Ping G30 in this price range on American Golf. If anyone could give me pointers there?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If it was me, Id pick up a second hand set of irons from a couple of years ago, a hybrid, a putter and maybe a driver at some point. Wouldnt spend too much on them and would spend the money on getting out there playing whether hitting balls at the range or on the course. Wouldnt do any harm to have a lesson or two with a local pro to make sure you have the basics down (this is priceless further down the line).

The sooner you can get out there and enjoy it the better

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH, i would go for joining a club straight away.

I started with £100 starter set from Sports Direct, i loved playing and equipment wasn't the enjoyable bit playing was.

once you have started playing a bit more and maybe had a few lessons and got a bit more consistent then got some better clubs.

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
For me, go and join a club and get mixing in with other players similar to your level and ambition to improve and enjoy the game.

Many clubs offer memberships and get into golf scheme's so you can get lessons as well. But I'd be joining a club, getting a handicap and playing competitions, getting lessons from a pro who you're comfortable with and practicing.

I started with a set of Slazengers from JJB!!

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Pretty sure some on here can recommend a really good set of game improvement irons that could probably be picked up on eBay for between £100 and £200....maybe something in the Ping G10/15/20 range or similar.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
You could do both depending on your budget, personally I would buy a new/used set play some courses see what you like and think about joining for next year

pinberry

Club Champion
Visit site
Go see a pro. This will be the best money you will spend on your game. Assuming you are a fit 31 year old, with no physical impediment, you can become as good as you want as long as you put the required effort.

Also, a good pro will be able to tell you whether you need a new set of clubs or not.

hors limite

Assistant Pro
Visit site
20 year old clubs aren't worth the investment in re-gripping. I'd go down the line of getting hold of some good 2nd hand - you might not need to add much dosh to the re-gripping budget. The next step might be to get on the phone to your local clubs and see what they offer. They might offer deals including a couple of lessons. If you don't join a club and get the bug and want to play often the green fees will soon add up. Good luck!

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
My clubs are 15/16 years old and I still hit them as well as ever. I am looking to upgrade as I want a better players iron rather than the game improver I currently have. If the irons are still fine then I would still use them and join a club and get some rounds under your belt.

In a couple of years time you can look at renewing them, also many of the big stores like American golf offer interest free credit over certain amounts so you could kit yourself out sooner than you think as long as you can put back £40-60 a month

cs1986

Club Champion
Visit site
All advice is much appreciated. I think a common theme of advice is to perhaps check out listings for some decent second hand clubs, which I will get searching eBay for.

I have nothing against my current clubs but they are in desperate need of re-gripping, as it doesn't sound like it is worth spending that money it may be more cost effective to buy some second hands that are a bit more modern too.

I think finding a deal on a few lessons is definitely a good idea, this is something I have been thinking about anyway. I am terrible with my driver so I would really like a pro to show me how to use it properly.

I will maybe have a few rounds of golf at the clubs that I shortlist for joining and see what I think of the course etc and whilst I am there ask about membership and any offers they may have on.
If I was to find a good deal on some second hand clubs I could absolutely get new irons and join a club this year.

Oh...I will also need a new putter haha! Expensive game this golf malarkey!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd join a club; get playing regularly; some lessons; and getting to know other members. And before you know it one of your new mates will be saying 'I can see you're playing an ancient set of clubs - I've got an old set - a few years old - that I'm no longer using - if you want to try them you can - and if you like them maybe we can come to an arrangement'

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My clubs are probably 20 years old now and definitely need re-gripping if not just fully replacing. I do have some spare money but not infinite amounts so...

Should I stick with my current clubs (having them re-gripped) and spend my money on joining a club asap?
Should I spend my money this year on some irons, spend 2018 at the driving range and playing a few different courses and going for a membership in 2019?
Should I do neither, keeping my old clubs and just playing rounds and driving ranges?
I am located between Preston and Bolton, there are so many golf clubs around here, if I am to join one can anyone recommend a good one that won't cost me £1000+?

I can't really shell out for Irons and Membership this year so really its a decision between the two for now.
If I was to go for Irons, I was looking around £400-£500. Have seen Callaway Golf XR, TaylorMade RocketBladez and Ping G30 in this price range on American Golf. If anyone could give me pointers there?
You're in almost exactly the same boat I was about two years ago. I would suggest you get a second-hand set of clubs, as you'll get much better value for money. A good, forgiving set of game improvers from two or three years ago would probably only cost £300 or less. I maybe wouldn't join a club immediately, but just try and play local courses regularly for the rest of this year - try and get out each weekend if you can, and you will improve just from regular play. In the meantime you can shop around for the best value club to potentially join in 2019.

Money is also an issue for me, but I ended up joining my local club which plays on a public course, thus my membership is only £100 a year, I just pay my green fees on top of that every time I play there. The £100 just means I can enter competitions (for another 3 quid each time) and they manage my handicap.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd join a club; get playing regularly; some lessons; and getting to know other members. And before you know it one of your new mates will be saying 'I can see you're playing an ancient set of clubs - I've got an old set - a few years old - that I'm no longer using - if you want to try them you can - and if you like them maybe we can come to an arrangement'

This sounds solid advice .. never know what bargains u can pick up through word of month

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whether or not you buy new clubs depends on how good a condition the 20 year old are.

I have got a nearly 30 year old set as back up and I would still use them now.

and ditto for a 20 year old set I have.

The questions that need to asked first are what the clubs and what shafts are in them and assuming they were bought for fairly early on in your teenage years are they actually an adults set of clubs?

cs1986

Club Champion
Visit site
Whether or not you buy new clubs depends on how good a condition the 20 year old are.

I have got a nearly 30 year old set as back up and I would still use them now.

and ditto for a 20 year old set I have.

The questions that need to asked first are what the clubs and what shafts are in them and assuming they were bought for fairly early on in your teenage years are they actually an adults set of clubs?

These are what I currently play with:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-Flite-...-Steel-Shaft-TopFlite-Top-Flite-/390843534881

I believe they were around £400 back in the late 90's. They were my step-dads and he gave them to me so they are an adult set.

The grips are shocking, they badly need replacing and I have 3-SW in my set so that is 9 clubs to re-grip.

The heads have some scuffs but they are not in as bad a condition as you would expect for being so old.

That little black plastic piece that sits above the head of the club on the shaft is a bit loose on one or two of the clubs and can be moved by hand.