Advice Needed

Zelda

Visit site
Hey,

I'm getting back into the game after a 20 year break (I'm in my early thirties now)! My handicap back then was around 13. I still have my junior clubs that I'm using but obviously I'm looking for a more suitable set. Before getting a brand new set and getting custom fitted I'm probably going to get some second hand before fully committing.

Currently at the moment I can strike the ball at the range relatively consistently, however I am massively struggling for distance, I'm hitting a 6 iron 130 yards tops. Is the fact that I'm using junior clubs as an adult compiling my lack of distance?

I really fancy some blade clubs tailored towards getting a few yards extra. Possibly a lower loft set? Could someone guide me in the right direction in regards to what blade clubs are most suitable for distance? I'm currently looking at Titleist 695MB blades.

Appreciate your time. Cheers!

Zelda

Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

I don't think that I will get more distance with blades, it's just that i've decided that's the route I want to go down (regardless of distance). I always assumed (possibly incorrectly) that a lower loft blade would reduce height but increase distance per club. So I'm looking for the most suitable out of a bad bunch hehe I totally understand that blades probably are not suitable for me. However I am willing to take a risk that in the long run (3 years plus), there could be benefits. Any thoughts?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would say on the whole, blades have more loft than cavity back irons so a blade 5 iron would be 28 deg whereas a cavity back 5 iron could be 24/25 degrees.
You might want to have a look at the PING i range irons which would be a good mid range club.
The i25 irons would be a good start and they will definitely go further than your junior set.

Zelda

Visit site
Ok cheers Bob thanks for the reply! I'll certainly take a look at those. When deciding do you think I should rule out the Titleist 695MB then? (Ultimately I need to get fitted but I want to get out on the course and practice as much as I can with the most preferable iron set until that point I get fitted 2/3 years down the line)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Ok cheers Bob thanks for the reply! I'll certainly take a look at those. When deciding do you think I should rule out the Titleist 695MB then? (Ultimately I need to get fitted but I want to get out on the course and practice as much as I can with the most preferable iron set until that point I get fitted 2/3 years down the line)

I would say the Titleists are for the more advanced player.
The Pings will be a set you can grow into and could last you years.
Better that than spending a lot of money on blades you cant hit.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

I don't think that I will get more distance with blades, it's just that i've decided that's the route I want to go down (regardless of distance). I always assumed (possibly incorrectly) that a lower loft blade would reduce height but increase distance per club. So I'm looking for the most suitable out of a bad bunch hehe I totally understand that blades probably are not suitable for me. However I am willing to take a risk that in the long run (3 years plus), there could be benefits. Any thoughts?
Have a look at the Orka thread at a custom fitting involving blades and changes to loft

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
if you really want to try blades, i would suggest looking for a set of Mizuno MP32, which you should be able to pick up a set for around £100, these where the first blades i tried and they are pretty forgiving as blades go. but as Bob says you are more than likely hit blades shorter than CB

Swango1980

Visit site
By all means take on board advice here. And, I can certainly imagine junior clubs will NOT be helping your distance (are they shorter in length?). It could also have less to do with the club head, and much to do with the flexibility of the shaft, which is one of the key factors in finding the right club. Depending on your swing speed, and how jerky or fluid it is, the right shaft is very important.

I'd massively recommend going to a good professional, spending £20-30 on a lesson, and they'll be able to tell you why you are lacking distance, and how to improve. They should also be able to recommend a good fit of club for your swing and ability, and many club professionals, as far as I am aware can often get you good deals on clubs, including second hand clubs (and a good professional will purely base this on your own interests, and not try and flog you a set of clubs that they are just trying to get rid off or are very expensive. This is why I am often reluctant to go to somewhere like American Golf, because all I hear is people that do go in, often walk out with the same clubs as each other.

jmcp

Visit site
Hi Zelda,

I’m going to go against the grain here. I had about 14 yrs away from golf and when I came back to it I decided to get game improvement clubs and went through a couple of sets of them (taylormade M4 etc..) but was never happy with them as although I got good distance with them, I was never quite sure how I had actually hit the ball as I felt zero feedback from them, I also felt they were a hinderance when playing out of relatively light rough as the clubs seemed to always snag a little so, I bit the bullet and bought a set of Wilson staff blades (fitted at the Wilson factory) and couldn’t be happier with them, I also bought an old set of mizuno mp-33 blades from eBay for approx £130 which I have used all winter so that I can keep my Wilson’s in good condition for the competition season (also use the Wilson’s when practicing on indoor simulator and any lessons), if I was you and you still fancied a set of blades then I would not hesitate to get a 2nd hand set of something like the Mizuno’s as I thing they are quite forgiving for a blade, use them until you feel your swing is in decent shape and then think about a custom fitted set of your fancy.

I would also recommend getting some time with a trackman or similar to understand your swing speed to give you an idea on what shaft stiffness you should be purchasing and as someone mentioned above, booking some lessons especially at the beginning of your comeback really is advisable.

I might also add that I pretty much dislike the look of all cavity back clubs and To me it is important to enjoy the game and liking the look of what I am hitting is part of that.

cheers, John

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would recommend seeking out a combo set.

CBs down to 6 or 7 and then blades for the shorter irons.

I play Mizuno and as already said the lofts will very according to model eg in their 919 range 7 irons loft are 30,32 and 34 with 34 being the loft in the most blade like club.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
. I always assumed (possibly incorrectly) that a lower loft blade would reduce height but increase distance per club.

A lower loft will increased [carry] distance only if it DOESN'T lower height.
If swingspeed is insufficient to elevate the ball to the intended height, the ball will begin descending and not reach its intended distance.

That's why club lengths increase as loft gets stronger. Sufficient speed is required to get the ball to its peak height.
That's also why slower swingspeed players hit a 12º driver longer than a 10.5º driver.