Advice needed on which clubs to buy

The Captain

Visit site
Thank you all for your swift replies, they are greatly appreciated.

On balance, it looks like 2 main options:

The full setup mentioned for £450 in the earliest posts. This is everything I would need (and more i guess). My concern would be that some people have stated that maybe the irons are not suitable? Looks to be a reasonably good deal from what people have said though.....

A second hand set of Ping G20s (or 15s), a 5 wood, hybrids, wedges, putter, bag and shoes. These seem to be very popular irons for the newbie but i'm worried i might end up spending more than i wanted to going down this route.

What do people think is the better option?

Thank you again for your help

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
do you have any pro shops at clubs nearby?

What i would do is trawl around and see what they have 2nd hand. the 3 places we have in Inverness i could walk into any of them and try a dozen sets.

selwood90

Head Pro
Visit site
Plenty of budget to work with there, just totted all mine up after upgrading to game improvement. Most of the stuff 2nd hand and I'm up to 235 quid, including 50 Bridgestone e6 balls. Take a look on ebay, gumtree and nip to local shops and try anything 2nd hand. Narrow it down to a couple of sets and search the Web for a 2nd hand bargain would be my advice. Plenty of great GI sets out there for between 100-175. Went for callaway RAZR x myself

jak kez 187

Head Pro
Visit site
Have to say the Wilson staff D100 you first mentioned are a quality beginner iron, as are the older versions.

Got a friend into golf and he picked up a used set of Wilson staff di7 irons on eBay for 60 quid. Can't fault them at all, intact I have used them myself on a few holes as I've liked them so much.

And yeah do not skimp on the shoes, I made that mistake buying the cheapest I could find, quickly regretted it midway through the second hole of my first round!
Can't go wrong with spikeless adidas in my opinion, got the gripmore's and they're great.

UlyssesSky

Head Pro
Visit site
As an example, I started to look at irons and thought that the Wilson staff d-100 (available at £186.75 for 5-SW) looked good value and seem to have some strong reviews in the game improver category.

I played the Wilson D-100 as my first iron set and they are actually pretty good beginners clubs. Great bargain at that price, too! The matching hybrids are also good.

I recently upgraded my irons, but that was definitely not because I needed new irons but because I love buying new equipment... :whistle:

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Im new to the game so was in the same position as you a few months back. I went to my local range to try out the Wilson Staff and I got on well with them. I then tested out the Ping G25's. I ended up going for the Ping's because I had more consistent results with them. As people said earlier, the Ping's should hold their value more than the Wilson's.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If you have got into golf have a word at the club shop and see if anyone is/has traded in any ping G series. Flitted through this blog but if you buy ping ( and they are an excellent club) you will definately need fitting for them. Because they have brought out G30 itt does not mean G 25, 20 etc are rubbish. Far from it.

Re golf clothing and shoes, check out a company called "County golf", they are cheap and excellent vfm for quality brands. That will save you money which you can spend on equipment.

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good advice Tashy. When I was trying out the 25's I hit the stock demo clubs then ones that were fitted for me (1" longer and 3 degree upright). The 'fitted' club felt much more comfortable.

D

Deleted member 21258

I would not rule out buying old quality clubs, for instance I still play with the old callaway X14 irons, very forgiving clubs and I would imagine cheap as chips to buy now.

I am not the most pure of ball strikers(!) and I do not really find my very old taylormade 360 driver any better/worse than my sons Cobra flyz for distance or forgiveness on the course( get that ????! would love to try them out on a launch monitor to compare to be honest, as I cant really believe it, given my driver is about 10 years old)

The Captain

Visit site
Once again, thank you so much for all of the advice in this thread, it is much appreciated.

Will see if there's some club shops nearby (there must be) and i'll have a dig around

A few questions:

If I was to buy a second hand set of PING G series or something, how much would it cost me to have them fitted to me?

Can you really trust the quaility and legitimacy of stuff you get on ebay?

Does that full set for £450 (mentioned early in the thread) represent better value than a second hand set of G20s (given that i'd still need to buy everything else too)?

Thank you again

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd guess £3-4 a club to get the loft and lies adjusted but you'd have to have a fitting to find out what you are, don't know how much that would cost ?

I'd just go for the full set if I were you, if it doesn't work out then you wouldn't lose out too much on resell.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Once again, thank you so much for all of the advice in this thread, it is much appreciated.

Will see if there's some club shops nearby (there must be) and i'll have a dig around

A few questions:

If I was to buy a second hand set of PING G series or something, how much would it cost me to have them fitted to me?

Can you really trust the quaility and legitimacy of stuff you get on ebay?

Does that full set for £450 (mentioned early in the thread) represent better value than a second hand set of G20s (given that i'd still need to buy everything else too)?

Thank you again

With regards to ebay then it is variable. Just use common sense and look at previous feedback. If it is from a UK golf retailer then you should be OK. If it is a reputable overseas golf shop then again you should be OK. Personally I'd stick to US ones really and not go east. But remember you will have to pay import tax on US purchases. If it is an individual then pays your price and takes your chances. And I'd be a bit wary of those claiming it is a present they don't want or something they won in competition. Some are honest but treat with caution.

As for ping you can get a static fitting here http://www.ping.com/fitting/nflightweb.aspx This will come out with various suggestions including a colour code that you can use to help you. If you then look at the colour code chart http://www.ping.com/fitting/process.aspx you can see how close you are to the ones on sale second hand. I'd argue you don't need to be exact but you don't want to be on the opposite end of the scale either.

WWG

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Plenty of budget to work with there, just totted all mine up after upgrading to game improvement. Most of the stuff 2nd hand and I'm up to 235 quid, including 50 Bridgestone e6 balls. Take a look on ebay, gumtree and nip to local shops and try anything 2nd hand. Narrow it down to a couple of sets and search the Web for a 2nd hand bargain would be my advice. Plenty of great GI sets out there for between 100-175. Went for callaway RAZR x myself

Agree. Since I bought my original kit back last August, I have replaced everything. This is my total cost.

New bag £11.50 (ebay auction)
Used Taylormade R15 driver (and yes, you need a driver) £65
New Benross irons 5 - SW (excellent choice I made there) £90
2 used Callaway woods £45
2 new Dunlop Hybrids (and they are excellent despite the branding) £30
Used Palm springs 1.5 ball mallet putter, as new £15
Used electric trolley £50
Glove £3
20 pearl grade Bridgestone e6 balls £15
Tees £1
Cheap waterproofs (don't normally play when it is wet) £15

Grand Total = £340

xcore

Head Pro
Visit site
Second hand is the way forward! Paid 120 for some tayloremade burner 2.0s, 30 quid for a ping g15 driver, 40 quid for a Taulormade rbz stage 2 3 wood

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you have the opportunity go and try some out. I booked an appointment at my local American Golf last Summer when I first joined a club as my existing clubs were 30 years old. Tried the Wilson D-200s, Callaway and Ping irons. The latter two were slightly lighter, but I felt more comfortable with the Wilsons and bought them. I also tried both the steel and graphite shafted Wilsons and on the tracker they came out pretty much identical, and so they recommended the steel shafts as they were cheaper. If you can find somewhere to try out a few different clubs you should get a feel for what you are more comfortable with. The D-100s you were looking at would be a good set to consider, along with the other recommendations above.

All the best with your search and let us know how you get on.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Captain out of interest what part of the world do you live, someone on here may be able to suggest somewhere local to go.