Advice needed on 1st "proper" set of clubs

phil31

Visit site
I've been sporadically hacking my way around for a few years with a set of Dunlop clubs, before deciding lessons were the way forward. Now I've seen a lot of improvement I want to invest in a set of clubs fit for an improving beginner but ones that will last me for some time.

I'm currently trying to decide between getting a package set or picking up what suits me when I can afford it. Thanks to some vouchers I'll be going to American Golf so I've been looking at the Wilson Deep Red High MOI package. In your expert opinion, would it be worth spending the money on that or spending the same on some irons and then adding others when I can? I've been looking at the Callaway X20s, the Cleveland CG7 Black Pearl and the Cobra S2s. Would that be the better way to go? Budget is 300-450.

Thanks

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the mad house!

I don't tthink you'll get a better set to start with than Cally X-20. As forgiving as they come, easy to hit and will last ages. Don't go for a "starter"set unless you have to due to budget. If you can go to the X-20 I would, even the other 2 will be good.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi Phil and good to see you

I would take Imurgs advice on the X20's and definitely dont go for a starter set

good luck

Chris

phil31

Visit site
Cheers all for the welcome and replies. Am tied to AG due to a few quids worth of vouchers but have been trying out a few at my local range. The X20s felt good so I was leaning towards them, just wanted to be clear on what I wanted before going shopping. What should be the next upgrade on the list - putter, woods, hybrid?

A

Alex1975

Cheers all for the welcome and replies. Am tied to AG due to a few quids worth of vouchers but have been trying out a few at my local range. The X20s felt good so I was leaning towards them, just wanted to be clear on what I wanted before going shopping. What should be the next upgrade on the list - putter, woods, hybrid?

Agree with Imurg and I am not sure many on here would send you for a set of clubs(ie all in one bag)

Try and make sure AG give you all the time and you hit all the clubs that look good to you in your price range. You may wish to try the Yonex VMX. They are a great club that will last you right into mid handicap and are at a very good price now as they are being replaced. But ye, as above, try everything that your eye tells you, you can hit and ask for a discount. Do not tell them you have vouchers as they will then KNOW your going to buy something.

Welcome to the forum.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
if you are buying new get at least a basic fitting (which is all you'll get at AG anyway). At the very least the shafts should be the right length and flex, the grip should be the right size.
The 'fit' should be free so why not take it.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
Depends on your budget too Phil.

There are a few independant club makers that can custon build for you for less than a top end set of irons. They may not be as sexy as the Callys but they will be made just for you, to your exact spec.

I'm sure people around the country can put you onto the makers. Just go with whatever feels comfortable and feels best to you as long as teh results are right when you strike them