Advice needed for complete novice !

Big7

Visit site
Hi, I'm looking for a broad range of advice from anyone that is prepared to give their time. I am completely new to the game and have absolutely zero knowledge. I love watching and have a couple of par 3 rounds under my belt, although this was about 20 years ago. I will be booking a few lessons in September at my local course so that I have a decent foundation to build upon. Advice on my first set of clubs would be appreciated as it looks like a minefield out there. Have come to my own conclusion that a decent second hand set/package would be my best bet. I have tried to do a bit of research online and have been looking for bargains in the usual markets. I am setting my budget at £250/£300 to start with, that way if it all goes to pot I hav'nt exactly broke the bank.
I have worked out that cavity backed irons are probably my best bet, but please let me know if you disagree. I had a quick try on some clubs in my local golf shop, the clubs used were from starter packs, Fazer/wilson/ben sayer and though I managed to (according to the virtual sim course) hit straight,I was getting very self conscious, there was a lot of onlookers, so I didn't really get to relax.
so, there you have it. I look forward to everyone's input, I'm really looking forward to getting out there and seeing how I get on.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Welcome :)

Going the 2nd hand route definitely the best option and maybe worth talking to the pro you're going to have lessons with to see if he can help you out.

If buying yourself, I would look at any of the main brands Game Improver style irons, maybe the G range of Pings (G5/G10), the Callaway X series (14/16/18/20) or some of the more mid range priced brands such as Wilson or Benross

After that you will want to add a putter (very much down to personal choice) and then after that woods/hybrids

A

Alex1975

Welcome :)

Going the 2nd hand route definitely the best option and maybe worth talking to the pro you're going to have lessons with to see if he can help you out.

If buying yourself, I would look at any of the main brands Game Improver style irons, maybe the G range of Pings (G5/G10), the Callaway X series (14/16/18/20) or some of the more mid range priced brands such as Wilson or Benross

After that you will want to add a putter (very much down to personal choice) and then after that woods/hybrids

You said you were looking for a range of opinions but sadly I just agree with both what you have worked out yourself and what Fundy says above.

I think your budget is about right, let us know when you are looking to buy and someone can tell you if you are getting a good deal and so on.

Big7

Visit site
Thanks Guys, have actually got some various Galloways on watch at the moment along with a couple of sets of Wilson Deep reds, tried these at the shop.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
hello welcome and enjoy!

agian i can't offer anything better than already said done, have fun trying a few bits and pieces but i'd wait until speaking to your pro as best advice.