Advice from the experts - free!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I, as some will know, an adherent of Jim Hardy and Matt Kuchar's coach, Chris O'Connell. They run a Facebook group called "The Plan Truth - Discussion Forum" https://www.facebook.com/groups/883211211732649/ for those on Facebook. I have posted questions there from time to time and it's not unusual to get a reply from Jim of Chris, or both. This week I posted a video nasty of my swing & got some helpful feedback from them and also from Bill Harmon, Butch's brother, who is 69 & plays off +1. It's a nice, friendly group, although a lot of the stuff posted is highly technical and need you to have read some of Jim's books to understand it.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
You may be right.
But it's going to be much easier to swing more upright if you don't roll your wrists.
I think that trying to steepen the shoulder turn has the effect of restricting the wrist roll. The way I'm trying to swing now feels much steeper but I know from experience that when I see it again it will look more or less the same. Feel v. real is weird.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I think that trying to steepen the shoulder turn has the effect of restricting the wrist roll. The way I'm trying to swing now feels much steeper but I know from experience that when I see it again it will look more or less the same. Feel v. real is weird.

I agree with the real and feel bit.
But I don't agree with the rest.
You've rolled your wrists all your life and have had a flat backswing all your life and you still got down to 5. So it can't be all bad.
If you want to focus on and change your backswing, it will literally take years for it to feel 'normal' and for what? Because it doesn't look right?
Or do you want to change your backswing for another reason?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I agree with the real and feel bit.
But I don't agree with the rest.
You've rolled your wrists all your life and have had a flat backswing all your life and you still got down to 5. So it can't be all bad.
If you want to focus on and change your backswing, it will literally take years for it to feel 'normal' and for what? Because it doesn't look right?
Or do you want to change your backswing for another reason?
For another reason. I can hit every fairway in a round & miss just about every green. My driving is by far the best part of my game. The flatness makes everything else very difficult with lots of poor impacts & shanks on a bad day. It's only a slight steepening I'm after even though it feels mega uncomfortable.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
For another reason. I can hit every fairway in a round & miss just about every green. My driving is by far the best part of my game. The flatness makes everything else very difficult with lots of poor impacts & shanks on a bad day. It's only a slight steepening I'm after even though it feels mega uncomfortable.

I would say your shanks are coming from an early extension, and poor contact comes from a non existent leg drive.....nothing to do with your flat backswing. Compare your lower half at address and at impact...........almost no difference.
Concentrate on the impact position not the backswing would be my thrupence worth, then you can keep your comfy backswing.:)

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I would say your shanks are coming from an early extension, and poor contact comes from a non existent leg drive.....nothing to do with your flat backswing. Compare your lower half at address and at impact...........almost no difference.
Concentrate on the impact position not the backswing would be my thrupence worth, then you can keep your comfy backswing.:)
You're certainly right about the early extension. Not really thought about the leg drive. For those who are not of a nervous disposition here's the swing we're talking about.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I did work out that was your vid, even if it wasn't a "man in black"!

Great as always Bob.
I really must sort a vid out of my wonky swing.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
You're certainly right about the early extension. Not really thought about the leg drive. For those who are not of a nervous disposition here's the swing we're talking about.

Total hacker response here . A lot of head movement in take away / swing ?

Ur lower than il get to so what do i know tho 😕