Adverse Ground Conditions - mud

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Like many courses this time of year our course is very wet and uses stakes/rope to protect the surrounds to greens. As a result there are several areas on the course that have been churned up by trolleys and are now very muddy.

Yesterday in our winter matchplay competition both of our balls ended up in one such area. It wasn't casual water but the balls were in horrible lies. My opponent wanted to drop them off the damaged area but as they weren't plugged I didn't see how we could so I said we had to play them as we lay. He wasn't happy.

He was trying to convince me they were in abnormal ground conditions but I wasn't sure - was he correct?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would think that the only way you could have relief is if these areas were marked as GUR.
Alternatively, the areas could be designated as Preferred Lies. PLs do not have to extend to fairways, the designated areas can be restricted.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
In this case, dont you just have to look at the definition of abnormal ground condition? ie casual water, GUR, or hole, cast etc by burrowing animal, bird, reptile.

Mud doesn't fit any of those unless you get water on taking your stance, or unless it's specifically marked as GUR, so my opinion is no free relief.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
In this case, dont you just have to look at the definition of abnormal ground condition? ie casual water, GUR, or hole, cast etc by burrowing animal, bird, reptile.

Mud doesn't fit any of those unless you get water on taking your stance, or unless it's specifically marked as GUR, so my opinion is no free relief.

Good summary of the previous responses.

Unfortunately we all know such situations but if you are not on a closely mown area you are stuck with it!

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So it looks like i was right not to allow relief to be taken for either ball.

However, is there some wording for a sensible local rule to be applied where the ground has been churned up in poor weather conditions? There is zero chance of the management getting them all designated as GUR.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So it looks like i was right not to allow relief to be taken for either ball.

However, is there some wording for a sensible local rule to be applied where the ground has been churned up in poor weather conditions? There is zero chance of the management getting them all designated as GUR.
The only LR available, other than 'embedded ball' is for a ball with mud sticking to it. Lift, Clean & Replace. Which is available through the green.

Perhaps 'the management' should delegate authority to the head green keeper.