Adjusted score - Gross or Net

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For CONGU handicap calculation, should adjusted scores be worked out based on gross or net par?

For example, I played a Par 5 at the weekend and shot an 8, but through my existing handicap I get a stroke on that hole, so technically only shot a double. For handicap purposes would my score for this hole be taken as 7 or stay as the 8?

Hopefully I have explained that clearly.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Once you have a handicap adjusted score is down to a nett double so in your example not action necessary.
Scores are adjusted in stableford format so if your score was adjusted to a gross 7 nett 6 you would gain an extra point.

The adjusted score for intial handicap allocation is a gross double.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
It remains as 8. Stableford adjustment reduces high scores to one more than the score which would have attracted 1 stableford point.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Once you have a handicap adjusted score is down to a nett double so in your example not action necessary.
Scores are adjusted in stableford format so if your score was adjusted to a gross 7 nett 6 you would gain an extra point.

The adjusted score for intial handicap allocation is a gross double.

I have an "unofficial" handicap as I am not a member of a club, which is currently 23.

I played at the weekend, and shot a 92 and the SSS was 68.

Of that 92 there were 3 holes, where I shot higher than 2 over par. A 7 on a par 3, an 8 on a par 5 and a 7 on a par 4. On the par 3 the SI is 17 (so I get 1 shot), the par 5 SI is 13 (so I get 1 shot) and the par 4 is 18 (so again 1 shot).

From what you are saying, I assume I will get an adjusted score on the par 3 of 6 meaning 2 shots off, nothing off the par 5 and nothing off the par 4

So adjusted is 92 - 3 = 89 - 68 (SSS) = 21 - 23 (existing handicap) = -2 which means 2*0.4 new handicap = 22.2?

Is that right?

Last edited:

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
no you wouldnt have 4 shots off the par 3 it would be adjusted to a 6 nett 5 so adjusted your score would be 91 nett 68 no cut.

Yes sorry...Shot 7. Max I could take was 6, so adjusted only 1 shot to 91 as you say 91-23 = 68.
Thanks. I don't know what I was doing there!

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes sorry...Shot 7. Max I could take was 6, so adjusted only 1 shot to 91 as you say 91-23 = 68.
Thanks. I don't know what I was doing there!

The easiest way to remember how to do it is convert your score to stableford points, also remember that SSS which your handicap is worked off is not necessarily the same as par.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The easiest way to remember how to do it is convert your score to stableford points, also remember that SSS which your handicap is worked off is not necessarily the same as par.

Yeah, I got 39 stableford points, which is why I thought I might be due a cut... but then SSS was 68 and the par was 71, which explains the reason for no cut. Thanks.