Adjustable golf club too tight

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know it sounds silly but put head in very cold water (bowl with ice) for 15 mins try it then .
If no joy gently warm the hosel with a hairdryer while the bolt is still cold.

If you get it off you need to check the head for any damage that the over tightening may have done.
Personally I would send it back.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know it sounds silly but put head in very cold water (bowl with ice) for 15 mins try it then .
If no joy gently warm the hosel with a hairdryer while the bolt is still cold.

If you get it off you need to check the head for any damage that the over tightening may have done.
Personally I would send it back.

I really believe you are getting a little ahead of the real situation!

The adapter screw is simply tighter than the tool Adam has available to him currently will untighten - having tested a TH tool last night I can see exactly what's happening.

The why isn't an issue unless the screw was cross threaded - but that's extremely unlikely for a number of reasons.

I would anticipate that it could be removed extremely easily with either a long reach t25 bit in just about anything that isn't torque restricted (by accident or design) or even, as someone posted early on, with a good set of pliers or, better, mini moles, locked onto the existing tool.

As he's got 3 tools I would even be tempted to sacrifice one and poor some super glue into the torque mechanism and would bet that would then release it easily enough!

His problem isn't with the head, it's with the tool available.

D

Deleted member 18588

As Clubhouse Golf have offered to take it back surely the easiest answer is to get a box and return the club.

This would avoid the risk of further damage.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really believe you are getting a little ahead of the real situation!

The adapter screw is simply tighter than the tool Adam has available to him currently will untighten - having tested a TH tool last night I can see exactly what's happening.

The why isn't an issue unless the screw was cross threaded - but that's extremely unlikely for a number of reasons.

I would anticipate that it could be removed extremely easily with either a long reach t25 bit in just about anything that isn't torque restricted (by accident or design) or even, as someone posted early on, with a good set of pliers or, better, mini moles, locked onto the existing tool.

As he's got 3 tools I would even be tempted to sacrifice one and poor some super glue into the torque mechanism and would bet that would then release it easily enough!

His problem isn't with the head, it's with the tool available.
Yes I do agree but seen the fitters in work use this method.

My only problem is how it is overtight these must be torqued in the factory so how is it to tight.

Their QC can’t be very good.
So if it’s to tight it could have damaged the thread on bolt, thread on the adapter, crushed the head slightly.
This might come to light in the future. You may not see a hairline crack.

For the price I would just get it changed

Cant see it being cross threaded as it would stop short of nipping up.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes I do agree but seen the fitters in work use this method.

My only problem is how it is overtight these must be torqued in the factory so how is it to tight.

Their QC can’t be very good.
So if it’s to tight it could have damaged the thread on bolt, thread on the adapter, crushed the head slightly.
This might come to light in the future. You may not see a hairline crack.

For the price I would just get it changed

Cant see it being cross threaded as it would stop short of nipping up.

Yes, but without knowing how much force it really requires to remove it's impossible to know whether any of those scenarios are in any way realistic.

I'm still of the opinion that the most likely scenario is that it's all fine. There's a significant tolerance on the structure of these machine screws (they are designed for multiple use at that torque setting) and if either the screw or head was already compromised they would have failed....once they start to stretch the torque drops right off and even the correct torque will cause the screw to fail completely ie If it's torque on it's not stretched.

Absolutely agree that if it won't release properly when a solid tool is brought to bear on it then return it - but I would go that far first.

In this I speak as someone who accidentally set the Nm figure as FT lbs on my torque wrench only 3 days ago when doing up the collar screws on a brake calliper.....the first 3 took it, the last one went tight'ish but didn't seem to take the torque properly. So being older and wiser I pulled it to have a look (when previously I would have kept going until it torqued....) to find it had stretched , and was stretching - wish I could post a picture because it looks quite funny. Double checking the torque settings showed me my error. Obviously being brakes I went back and replaced the other 3 despite them probably being OK because of the potential for heat, and it's effects, in that area.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, but without knowing how much force it really requires to remove it's impossible to know whether any of those scenarios are in any way realistic.

I'm still of the opinion that the most likely scenario is that it's all fine. There's a significant tolerance on the structure of these machine screws (they are designed for multiple use at that torque setting) and if either the screw or head was already compromised they would have failed....once they start to stretch the torque drops right off and even the correct torque will cause the screw to fail completely ie If it's torque on it's not stretched.

Absolutely agree that if it won't release properly when a solid tool is brought to bear on it then return it - but I would go that far first.

In this I speak as someone who accidentally set the Nm figure as FT lbs on my torque wrench only 3 days ago when doing up the collar screws on a brake calliper.....the first 3 took it, the last one went tight'ish but didn't seem to take the torque properly. So being older and wiser I pulled it to have a look (when previously I would have kept going until it torqued....) to find it had stretched , and was stretching - wish I could post a picture because it looks quite funny. Double checking the torque settings showed me my error. Obviously being brakes I went back and replaced the other 3 despite them probably being OK because of the potential for heat, and it's effects, in that area.
Well you obviously know your onions.
I just think why keep something that may fail in future.
Ever tried to get a wheel nut off after it’s been put on by a air gun .
I would send it back as most people should not have the tools to extract this bolt.
The real test will be when it’s put under pressure striking / miss hitting the ball.
Just my opinion.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well you obviously know your onions.
I just think why keep something that may fail in future.
Ever tried to get a wheel nut off after it’s been put on by a air gun .
I would send it back as most people should not have the tools to extract this bolt.
The real test will be when it’s put under pressure striking / miss hitting the ball.
Just my opinion.

And a valid one.

I think the important test is the actual level of force required to remove it - having now tested one of these wrenches to destruction (for removal loads) im probably more concered about the damage done to Adam's wrenches (for future use) than the particular adapter and machine screw.

Time will tell.

D

Deleted member 18121

The pro at princes got a long shafted torx tool out and undid it....he tried with a normal tool and sure enough it it wouldn't work. So it was done up too tight from new.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I had a screw-head sheer clean off on my first adjustable driver after just a couple of rounds (the one holding the weight in place so not one I'd even adjusted) so i guess it'd been tightened too much from manufacture and hitting it with my 120mph swing (or is that kph!) was clearly enough to break it

Manufacture was great though and send replacement pretty sharpish, no issues since then

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
On a similar vein, has anyone ever had troubles with a new driver where the tool/wrench easily unscrews the screw thus freeing it up easily but the club hit is still stuck firm thus making the club unadjustable ?? I've indulged in a g400 max and this has happened to me. Before I go through all the send back procedures does anyone know of a simple fix ???

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
On a similar vein, has anyone ever had troubles with a new driver where the tool/wrench easily unscrews the screw thus freeing it up easily but the club hit is still stuck firm thus making the club unadjustable ?? I've indulged in a g400 max and this has happened to me. Before I go through all the send back procedures does anyone know of a simple fix ???

This used to happen all the time to me with my Ping G30 driver.

Undo the head, hold the club with the grip facing the floor and tap the grip end off the floor. It will come loose after that. May take a good few taps.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
undo the head and just tap it on the grass should come off.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thank you and i'll be trying this if the above method doesn't work in the first instance. This forum is great for this kind of stuff !!!
When you do get it off , take head off completely and just check the head and adapter for debris, swarf off the threads .
Before you put it back together put some just a little WDF or Vaseline on the adapter this will stop it sticking.