Adjustable golf club too tight

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

Hi all

Just received a new adjustable club from clubhousegolf, unfortunately the head is done up too tight for any of my adjustment tools to undo. How else can I get it undone?

Their helpdesk are trying to go down the route of my sending it back, but I dont have the box as I unpacked it at work and took it home loose on the train.

Welcome suggestions.

Cheers

Adam

D

Deleted member 18121

The handle of the tools turns in my hand (ie like it does when you're doing the club up to make sure its not too tight)

D

Deleted member 18121

ahhh I see, so Torx relates to the shape of the head I guess.... I'm sure my old man will have a set.

I'm going to Princes this weekend, will take it with me and see if they can help.

D

Deleted member 18121

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thats exactly the kind of tool - I have 3. One Taylormade and 2 Benross ones. See the line just below the "T" on the photo? That is where the tool turns once the bolt is tightened to the correct Torque to stop it over tightening.
Ooh, ok. Apologies, I actually never realised it does that. Maybe I haven't tightened mine enough​.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
So you have 3 of these tools and neither is getting it loosened off ? If so, I'm guessing a crossed thread.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
So you have 3 of these tools and neither is getting it loosened off ? If so, I'm guessing a crossed thread.

Unlikely as it would be loose fit at standard torque if cross threaded (if that makes sense).

I am also surprised that the tools are torque set both ways - that doesn't make a whole lot of sense as a threaded bolt will nearly always require more torque to undo than it was set to originally.

D

Deleted member 18121

Good point Duncan. I'm on my way home now... Will report back.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Could it have been tightened by a torx driver rather than an actual proper club tool, hence why it won't loosen ?? Just throwing that out there.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good point Duncan. I'm on my way home now... Will report back.

Well I just took a standard TM tool down to the workshop and sure enough it's torque set both ways - weird!

I didn't bother to cross reference the settings using a calibrated torque wrench but it felt as if there was ever so slightly more resistance available for undoing (not very scientific!).

Shame you moved or I could have undone it for you here; I would expect the pro shop at Princes (or any range etc) to have a solution available because it must happen from time to time without any bad behaviour in putting it together.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The tool should not slip when undoing the screw there is no torque wrench action in this direction to the best of my knowledge.

The torque wrench part (ie it clicks when it gets to the point where it is tight enough should be specific to the club.

eg the Taylormade grey wrench is 30 pounds torque and the white one is 40 pounds torque.

As already suggested a standard torx bit on a standard wrench may do the trick. In the old days I would try a little tap with a hammer of the tool bit in the direction bolt/shaft.

D

Deleted member 18121

No luck with the proper club tool and I do have some torx adaptera but not with a long enough shaft to reach down into the club head..... I shall take it to princes and see if they can help.

Such fun!

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Surprised no one has mentioned the most popular solution for all “sth is stuck” needs - WD40!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A 1/4 inch drive ratchet, bit holder and T25 bit will sort it.
Its probably got some thread lock on the thread to make sure it doesnt come loose or apart in transit unless you need it loosened.