Adams Low Profile fairway woods

rapper

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have Adams Low Profile fairway woods 3,5 7 reg shafts if I cut about 2 inch (50 mm) off the shafts would it effect the performance of the clubs as I was told I would probably hit the clubs better if they were a bit shorter similar to hybrids.As anyone ever done that and if so did it make a difference?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
2 inches is a massive amount to trim off a fairway. It'll feel like a wedge. Are you short yourself?
Imo trimming a fairway to gain control is putting a plaster on the problem.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Two inches is a lot. Why don't you try simply holding them an inch further down the grip and see how it feels to hit a few shots like that? Much better than cutting them and finding it hasn't helped or made it worse. I tend to do that with my hybrids and woods, just grip down an inch, whereas irons I'll be at the end of the grip.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would have said 2 inches is way too much, and would definitely make the shafts feel stiff as well. I would take one down about 1 cm max, and even that will alter the flex slightly of the shaft. I have altered driver and fairway shafts before, and not always with the best of result.
Even now I find my fairway wood to be the most untrusted and unreliable club in my bag, so much so it’s now on lockdown and a low lofted hybrid has taken its place;)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Butt trimming (which is how length should be adjusted) will make very little, if any, noticeable difference to the feel. 2 inches does seem quite a lot though. As another poster has suggested, why not try gripping down as far as feels comfortable to see whether that helps before launching into 'unrecoverable' work.

rapper

Assistant Pro
Visit site
2 inches is a massive amount to trim off a fairway. It'll feel like a wedge. Are you short yourself?
Thanks for that info

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think in terms of being easier to connect, then a shorter club should help.

But obviously a few extra inches will mean less club head speed is generated at the end of the club, so ultimately it will affect performance.

Also there is a thing called Swing weighting, which is some kind of calibration manufacturers do with regards to weight of club relative to length and weight of shaft. So that could also be affected.

Agree about the plaster analogy. There's no substitute for getting better.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree about the plaster analogy. There's no substitute for getting better.
What's wrong with making sure you have the right tools though? If you saw someone trying to trim their nails with a bread knife would you give them a pair of clippers or just tell them to get better with the knife?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
What's wrong with making sure you have the right tools though? If you saw someone trying to trim their nails with a bread knife would you give them a pair of clippers or just tell them to get better with the knife?

I don't think that's quite a fair comparison.

All modern golf clubs are remarkably similar. A 22 degree Adams Hybrid is not going to be massively different from a 22 degree Callaway hybrid etc - assuming you have the correct shaft flex.

And if you are going to 'fine tune' your equipment in terms of changing the length or weight, then I'd say you want to be very sure you're doing the right thing or there will always be a nagging doubt as soon as you hit a bad shot or a have a couple of bad days and any confidence will erode.

Starting from the assumption that your equipment is suitable and you can play with confidence, in my opinion, is a far more powerful tool than 'tinkering'.
Starting from the assumption that your equipment can be made more suitable, is going to make it very difficult to find that confidence. Unless you have a launch monitor, a fair amount of money, a repeatable swing and access to a lot of demo clubs.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think that's quite a fair comparison.

All modern golf clubs are remarkably similar. A 22 degree Adams Hybrid is not going to be massively different from a 22 degree Callaway hybrid etc - assuming you have the correct shaft flex.

And if you are going to 'fine tune' your equipment in terms of changing the length or weight, then I'd say you want to be very sure you're doing the right thing or there will always be a nagging doubt as soon as you hit a bad shot or a have a couple of bad days and any confidence will erode.

Starting from the assumption that your equipment is suitable and you can play with confidence, in my opinion, is a far more powerful tool than 'tinkering'.
Starting from the assumption that your equipment can be made more suitable, is going to make it very difficult to find that confidence. Unless you have a launch monitor, a fair amount of money, a repeatable swing and access to a lot of demo clubs.
I disagree. Different makes of shaft have different feels in the swing, faces can be hotter than others or the head sits nicer on the ground etc etc. I don't think it's the right thing to do but if he did cut 2 inches off his clubs that would be quite a big difference, and if it worked it would be revolutionary for him. As opposed to spending the next what, six months learning how to hit the longer shaft?? No harm in trying different things to get your equipment right. We're not pros who can hit everything you put in our hands. Every little helps.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I disagree. Different makes of shaft have different feels in the swing, faces can be hotter than others or the head sits nicer on the ground etc etc. I don't think it's the right thing to do but if he did cut 2 inches off his clubs that would be quite a big difference, and if it worked it would be revolutionary for him. As opposed to spending the next what, six months learning how to hit the longer shaft?? No harm in trying different things to get your equipment right. We're not pros who can hit everything you put in our hands. Every little helps.

I took 2 inches off a 3 wood and driver for my son, stiff as a post, did not work at all, even I could not hit the things. Pro shop that did for me laughed and said it would be a disaster but I said do it anyways. :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I took 2 inches off a 3 wood and driver for my son, stiff as a post, did not work at all, even I could not hit the things. Pro shop that did for me laughed and said it would be a disaster but I said do it anyways. :)
Yeah, as I said that's probably not the one, but it's worth experimenting with sensible ideas. :LOL: