Active/ inactive members

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Very bored today, too tired from a weekend's work to think about golfing so I was idly looking through the member's list. There are approximately 17,000 members, of whom only around 1,600 have posted more than 20 times. Loads have registered and never posted, including maninblack, the name I wanted to use, who registered in 2007 and has never posted!

The all time record poster is HomerJSimpson, with over 37,000 posts, well ahead of murphthemog, with less than half that. If you estimate that thinking about & writing the average length post takes 5 minutes Homer has spent over 4 months of his life writing posts! Don't dare calculate how long I've spent per week in my short forum career but I'm semi retired, I need something to do when I've finished the hoovering.

G

guest100718

The majority of traffic comes from quite a small number of posters. Sadly.

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The all time record poster is HomerJSimpson, with over 37,000 posts, well ahead of murphthemog, with less than half that. If you estimate that thinking about & writing the average length post takes 5 minutes Homer has spent over 4 months of his life writing posts!

I think you are being overly generous there!

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
What with his blog and posts on here. Surprised he has time to play. Do you think it has something to do with new golf thinking and aim point. Or whatever there called.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are forums which tells how long in total a member has been online/logged on. I shall go and check on another (non-golf) one and come back.

it says "1 Week, 2 Days, 5 Hours"...

Quite a long time then, except about 1 week of that is just having the window open. :)

Some forums also tell you likes received and given. We should have a "like" button.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lol. Not the only one to get bored and starting doing strange calculations with forum stats.

If homer were to stop now at 37,381 posts it would take me about 34.9 years to reach his post count.

37,381 - 3,213 = 34,168

divided by my current posts per day 2.68 = 12,749.25/365.25 (0.25 for the leap year) = 34.90 years!!!

Last edited:

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
If Homer were to stop now at 37,381 posts it would take me about 34.9 years to reach his post count.

37,381 - 3,213 = 34,168

divided by my current posts per day 2.68 = 12,749.25/365.25 (0.25 for the leap year) = 34.90 years!!!

Thanks for that. I feel... um... um...

My life is 0.003% closer to being complete. :)

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Very bored today, too tired from a weekend's work to think about golfing so I was idly looking through the member's list. There are approximately 17,000 members, of whom only around 1,600 have posted more than 20 times. Loads have registered and never posted, including maninblack, the name I wanted to use, who registered in 2007 and has never posted!

The all time record poster is HomerJSimpson, with over 37,000 posts, well ahead of murphthemog, with less than half that. If you estimate that thinking about & writing the average length post takes 5 minutes Homer has spent over 4 months of his life writing posts! Don't dare calculate how long I've spent per week in my short forum career but I'm semi retired, I need something to do when I've finished the hoovering.

I remember having this problem when i was signing up , there is probably a way of deleting inactive members but is it really needed ?
i think when you find the forum first you use it a good bit as its all new to you , then as you are a while on here some threads you wont even bother reading ,

i know why some of the longer serving members have drifted away and sometimes i feel the same and have gone from having to check it every day to a less frequent user ..

Its still the best forum around and we are so lucky to have the guys & gals at GM behind it , we are spoiled with offers & chances its a pity not everyone can always see that

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I remember having this problem when i was signing up , there is probably a way of deleting inactive members but is it really needed ?
i think when you find the forum first you use it a good bit as its all new to you , then as you are a while on here some threads you wont even bother reading ,

i know why some of the longer serving members have drifted away and sometimes i feel the same and have gone from having to check it every day to a less frequent user ..

Its still the best forum around and we are so lucky to have the guys & gals at GM behind it , we are spoiled with offers & chances its a pity not everyone can always see that

Don't think it would be beneficial to remove inactive users. Can you see the sales pitch.

Hey Mr Advertiser. We have 17,000 registered user plus a load of lurkers vs we have 1,600 active participants.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The majority of traffic comes from quite a small number of posters. Sadly.

Which is true, and if you look in more depth the majority of thread starters is very low in comparison to posters. I really noticed this on another smaller golf forum where more members were thread responders than starters.