Action before start of the round

berniethebolt

Visit site
I think player A was trying to be clever but….

On the first tee player A tees up his ball then lays a club down to give direction. He then stands by it, picks it up and goes to hit the ball. Hang on says player B, you can’t do that under Rule 4.3a.

Yes I can said player A because under Rule 6.1a I have not started the round by making a stroke at the ball and what I do before the round is not governed by the rules of golf.

He then grinned and moved way before resuming his setup.

If he had proceeded as initially what rule, if any, was he in breach of, 1.2 perhaps?

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I think player A was trying to be clever but….

On the first tee player A tees up his ball then lays a club down to give direction. He then stands by it, picks it up and goes to hit the ball. Hang on says player B, you can’t do that under Rule 4.3a.

Yes I can said player A because under Rule 6.1a I have not started the round by making a stroke at the ball and what I do before the round is not governed by the rules of golf.

He then grinned and moved way before resuming his setup.

If he had proceeded as initially what rule, if any, was he in breach of, 1.2 perhaps?
I don't think that Rule 10.2b prohibitions are restricted to during the round and apply to any stroke that would be counted in the player's score for the round.

Last edited:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
In any case, player A is wrong in thinking it that the rules don't govern what you can do before your round starts - practice on the course before a strokeplay round is the first that comes to mind. There may be others.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
In any case, player A is wrong in thinking it that the rules don't govern what you can do before your round starts - practice on the course before a strokeplay round is the first that comes to mind. There may be others.
There are some Rules that are applicable before the round and others that are applicable only during the round; it's usually in the specific Rule - those that are only applicable during the round generally say "during the round".

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Both 10.2a (advice) and 10.2b (other help ) are clear about timing. 10.2a is explicitly about during the round and thus applies only after the round has started ; 10.2b is about actions concerning the stroke you are about to make and clearly has to apply to the first stroke of the round as much as to any other. It would obviously be daft to make the first stroke an exception but if that's what was wanted , the rule would have to say so.

Swango1980

Visit site
I'd imagine if the player stood on the first tee, and used an anemometer to measure the wind speed and pressure, it might be frowned upon in the Rules? Or, if he asked another player what club they took off the tee, to get an idea of what they should do themselves.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
The anemometer question is answered from Rule 4.3a Allowed and Prohibited Users of Equipment. The Rule tells us wa are not permitted to measure wind speed or direction during the round. You are allowed to use information gathered before the round which means that using your anemometer to measure the wind speed before you begin your round is ok. Using one after your first stroke is not.

Rule 10.a prohibits asking for advice during your round. The player who asks what club was used hasn't yet made a stroke. Has his round started?

And another question you might consider about things said during a round:
Player A plays a rather good shot to a par 3 green and Player B who is standing with a club already in his hand says, "Great shot! What did you use?" "7 iron" A replies. Player B proceeds to go on to the tee, tees up and plays with the club he had in his hand. Did B ask for advice? Did A give advice?

Last edited: