A True Custom Fit

• Thread starter Deleted member 18588
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18588

I have to laugh at 'special grinds' for wedges- no offense to the OP - I know 20+ handicappers and some low cat1's that go on about their special hand ground wedges :rolleyes:

If a company offers variety and many options they are more likely to get a sale over one that offers 1 choice.

I don't believe special grinds were around 20 years ago and there were wizards on the pro and amateur scene with off the shelf wedges.

I wonder if anyone can tell the difference in a blindfold test with all these grinds........I seriously doubt it

Blimey! I have enough difficulty with my short game without wearing a blindfold.

However, I do take your point but with putters and wedges you surely need to find something that fits your eye and, in the case of wedges, that includes how the club sits for a variety of shots.

But please no blindfolds.....................

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Blimey! I have enough difficulty with my short game without wearing a blindfold.

However, I do take your point but with putters and wedges you surely need to find something that fits your eye and, in the case of wedges, that includes how the club sits for a variety of shots.

But please no blindfolds.....................

yes I'm all for that, confidence is a key factor in golf.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes the shafts are to blend with my existing Dynalite Gold XP S300's. Tried the Spinner but without any appreciable benefits we decided to stick with what is working. Interestingly Iain's view is that shafts, whilst still important, are less of a factor in wedges than clubheads as fewer full shots are played with these clubs and thus the shaft does not always get fully loaded.

Yep, I read similar from Wedge Guy. He advocates blending with your irons for weight so that things flow through the bag. I do like having the same in both irons and wedges. My iron shafts are regular and most stock wedge shafts are s2/3/400. It's the little bits that can make a club feel more personal.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Yep, I read similar from Wedge Guy. He advocates blending with your irons for weight so that things flow through the bag. I do like having the same in both irons and wedges. My iron shafts are regular and most stock wedge shafts are s2/3/400. It's the little bits that can make a club feel more personal.

I'd agree with that, and maybe explains why I loathe vokeys so much as they feel like heavy lumps of metal compared to when I played blades with a lighter shaft.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Simple!

Because the clubfitter did the checks in my presence. With non-custom fits the situation is even worse. 4 iron with the loft of a 6 iron and a 6 iron with the loft of a 5.

Pity the poor soul that tried playing with them.

Oh dear. I am afraid that proves very little. Was the fitters equipment tested and calibrated properly. Did he retest a few to check his own observer error? Was his technique correct

I simply don't believe that club heads come from reputable manufacturers 2 clubs out.

D

Deleted member 18588

Oh dear. I am afraid that proves very little. Was the fitters equipment tested and calibrated properly. Did he retest a few to check his own observer error? Was his technique correct

I simply don't believe that club heads come from reputable manufacturers 2 clubs out.

My word you either work for a club manufacturer and have swallowed the part line or you are very gullible.

Of course the equipment was accurate, otherwise as a club repairer and custom club-maker (not the same one that is supplying my wedges) he would find his job very difficult.

Many sets are mass assembled in Chinese factories where QC is often sacrificed.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
My word you either work for a club manufacturer and have swallowed the part line or you are very gullible.

Of course the equipment was accurate, otherwise as a club repairer and custom club-maker (not the same one that is supplying my wedges) he would find his job very difficult.

Many sets are mass assembled in Chinese factories where QC is often sacrificed.

Well, one of us is rather gullible. Ben Hogan's grind. Please. Did he also give you Bobby Locke's ferrules or Peter Thompson's epoxy?

Many bespoke items are sold using appeals to vanity and ego. Wedges are no different, it seems.

I don't work for any club maker nor am particularly faithful to any one brand but I know some people in the business. I also know a bit about how technical measurements are taken and how systematic and random errors occur.

Mizunos are assembled in Scotland and Titleists in Cambridgeshire. I've been to the latter courtesy of GM.

D

Deleted member 18588

Well, one of us is rather gullible. Ben Hogan's grind. Please. Did he also give you Bobby Locke's ferrules or Peter Thompson's epoxy?

Many bespoke items are sold using appeals to vanity and ego. Wedges are no different, it seems.

I don't work for any club maker nor am particularly faithful to any one brand but I know some people in the business. I also know a bit about how technical measurements are taken and how systematic and random errors occur.

Mizunos are assembled in Scotland and Titleists in Cambridgeshire. I've been to the latter courtesy of GM.

Well that makes two of us.

However, I am no longer prepared to continue this discussion as apparently my judgement, eyesight and golfing knowledge is clearly inferior.