A stroll on the Old Course

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Had to be in North Fife at lunchtime today so went for a wander on the Old Course at St Andrews Links this morning. In case anyone doesn't know there is no play on the Old Course on Sundays and the public take full advantage to go for a wander across the links, lots of dogs and folks out for a stroll on what was a breezy but beautiful day in North East Fife.

DSCF7878.jpg
Fourth green (right) shared with 14th (left) - building in the background is on the Eden and is a public toilet, a very handy building indeed.

DSCF7879.jpg
Many of the bunkers were having work done on them and were marked as GUR, handy to know if you are considering a reduced price (£98) trip to play the home of golf in the near future.

DSCF7892.jpg
Sign next to 7th tee - you cross the 11th green with your approach shot to the 7th.

DSCF7895.jpg
This bunker isn't far off the 11th tee and shouldn't really ever come into play - just as well it's a nasty wee b***er

DSCF7897.jpg
This bunker is also on the 11th and it may come into play if you duff your tee shot - the isn't a trick of the camera - it's massive.

DSCF7901.jpg
7th (near flag) and 11th (red flag) - the dog walker in the background is roughly in the direction your approach to seven will come from.

DSCF7905.jpg
Artsy fartsy starburst shot of 7th flag and green

DSCF7907.jpg
11th green from the back - some dafties will tell you that the Old Course is flat - it's anything but, just doesn't have a lot of elevation change - does have plenty humps, bumps and waves of turf.

DSCF7913.jpg
Heading back into the most magical golf town in the World.

Last edited:

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Ta folks - it's a lovely walk and the course is in fine condition. I've taken hundreds of pics of the Old Course but there is usually a pro golfer or celebrity in them (I shoot the Dunhill each year) and the pics I've taken of just the course in the past were nearly all shot at the town end of the links so i thought I'd head for the far end of the course and look for some shadows and shapes - it helps that I absolutely love the 11th hole which is just about as far from the town as you get.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great pics. The light yesterday was incredible, I would have liked to head out there with my camera too but I can never find the time.

7, 11 & 12 are some of my favourite parts of the course as well. The old is full of beautiful and natural contours which many think don’t exist “because it’s flat” but it really isn’t in the flesh.