A strange range session

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Down at the range tonight in near perfect conditions,10 degrees and no wind. Started my warm up hitting a few wedges and then going down the bag.The fella next to me well holy sh*t the swing speed on him was unreal, I mean he was hitting 4 iron (i think) at such a rate it was going miles (be it all over the shop) so I take out my LW and proceed to chip to a target 30 yards away achieving nice results,the fella next to me then pulls out a wedge and proceeds to leather it as hard as he can playing a flop shot,coincidence I was thinking,so I pull out the hybrid and hit a few and guess what he pulls a hybrid,now I'm thinking tosser you just want to outhit me,thing is I should have said to him it's how much not how far,pretty sure I would have gubbed him as he was all over the shop.I pulled out driver and guess what,anyhow thankfully his balls ran out and he buggered off leaving me to concentrate on my own game.

Anyhow less waffle, I noticed the distance between my palm and pinky was quite a gap so I moved down the grip around 1/2" so that they were nearly touching, end result much better feeling and gained 10 yards per club,what is the correct gap between the fatty pad on the hand and the pinky supposed to be?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i had the opposite today up at the range. there was a group of young hackers up there trying to leather the ball as hard as they could shouting things like yay 150, yay 175 bit of a slice. can anyone hit 200 etc and i dander in and start pounding my driver way past 200 and some rolling to the back fence. it was wind assisted so they were going miles and further than they normaly go. nice wee ego boost! :rofl:

not too sure what you mean by the pinky thing.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyhow less waffle, I noticed the distance between my palm and pinky was quite a gap so I moved down the grip around 1/2" so that they were nearly touching, end result much better feeling and gained 10 yards per club,what is the correct gap between the fatty pad on the hand and the pinky supposed to be?

Do you mean about your grip size?
I've just had my clubs regripped with undersize grips as standard were a little bit big. I felt I was gripping too tight due to not having a secure grip on the club.
The club fitter said I was just standard according to his measuring device but he also said its about how the club feels in your hands more than anything.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Normally if you can just fit the tip of a finger(from opposite hand), between your "pinkie and palm pad". It should be about right.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Normally if you can just fit the tip of a finger(from opposite hand), between your "pinkie and palm pad". It should be about right.

once i moved the hand down the grip that was about right,before i could fit my thumb in!
guess i should have known by the excess wear on my glove palm

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
once i moved the hand down the grip that was about right,before i could fit my thumb in!
guess i should have known by the excess wear on my glove palm

When you next need your clubs regripping ask to try an undersized grip. It's only 1/64th of an inch smaller but I really feel it makes a big difference