A question for those who understand NBFL

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes, a question on the new ball flight laws has raised its head again to test the forum experts.

I hit a particular shape and flight of shot 2 or 3 times today that I really liked the look of, but it confused me something rotten.

Off the tee. 4 Iron. The initial ball flight was straight, pretty much bang on where I was aiming (Corner of dog leg to the right). The ball hit the apex of it's flight (Which seemed higher than usual) where I expected the ball to drop on the same line as the flight, I.E Straight, but to my suprise the ball began to gently fade, probably 5-10 yards max.

This put me in ideal position around the corner of the dog leg.

Now as I understand (Don't laugh) the NBFL, the face determines initial direction and the spin generated by the angle of the face to the swingpath.

So

How can a ball fly arrow straight to the apex of it's flight, THEN start to fade?

Any ideas?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
How can a ball fly arrow straight to the apex of it's flight, THEN start to fade?

Any ideas?

Yes, that's what happens with a fade, or draw - predominately straight, but when the backspin (element of the spin) reduces, the sidespin (element) has a greater effect. Were it to start straight and go to the right almost immediately, it would be a (serious) fade. (Wind considerations excepted) our fade was the result of a straight (square) face, but slight out-to-in swing - my 'stock' shot (though not with the 4h). Typically, that happens at the apex of the flight as it's backspin that keeps the ball up/elevating too.

Last edited:
S

Snelly

No wind R3. Was a pretty calm an flat day at our place yesterday.

I really liked the look of the flight and was curious as to how it came about.

Fascinating stuff but what interests me is did you make a par?!

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
could just be the ball, balls arent perfectly weighted evenly all round (mark one with a dot then put it in a bowl of water and watch what happens) so if you hit it on the 'heavy' part then it starts spinning on that part 2 secs in, the 'heavy' part now influences the shape, its quite small which explains why it was minimal movement.
Just my pennies worth- could be actual b****cks though lol

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's a 'Late" Fade or Draw. You have hit the ball on the upswing and generated low fade spin but not enough to affect it while it is driving forward at its maximum speed. As the ball's forward momentum slows late in the trajectory the fade spin starts to make an effect on the balls flight.

I play sometimes with a mate who is a PGA Pro and he can hit this shot all day, it's great to watch. The ball climbs up high and then drops off left or right depending on how he shapes it.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
It's great to watch. The ball climbs up high and then drops off left or right depending on how he shapes it.

Exactly right Brian.

I can honestly say I've never managed that ball flight before but it was really pleasant on the eye and put me into an ideal position for the hole.

Now...... If only I could hit it more often!!