A lesson in course management and concentration...

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just got to get this off my chest...

Played a nine hole knock with some guys from work yesterday. First time I had played with them and played really well, making par on all of the par 3's and getting a birdie on one of the par 4's. Really enjoyed it up until the last....Par 5. I went into the last hole with a 4 shot lead....

It was at this point that all my course management and concentration went out of the window. I took a driver off the tee which got me off to a decent start, just straying off right into the rough. Still had a nice lie but for some silly reason decided to take a fairway wood. Looking back now I should have just played a 6i and then a PW into the green and given myself two putts to secure a nice friendly win with my new colleagues. But NO, I went into some fairly thick stuff after the second shot and hacked out of the there to give myself a 30 yard pitch onto an elevated green. I then duffed my chip into a bunker and what follows next is probably the worse golfing decision I have ever made....

For some unknown reason, I decided to take a practice swing in the bunker and make contact with the sand.... Straight away one of the guys was in there; 'YOU CAN'T DO THAT...' 'ONE STROKE PENALTY'. I knew I had done wrong and I just wanted the ground to open up and swallow me. A lapse in concentration cost me there. I then proceeded in scoring a 10 for that hole which one of my playing partners claimed, should have been a lot more. It ended up in me losing the friendly game by one shot, but I felt devastated...

My one point from this post, remember the most simplest of rules even in a low pressure situation as that!

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Think your mate was wrong. It's a two stroke penalty in stroke play ☺

Haha! I will make that point Monday morning then ;) It was just one of those silly things I did without even thinking about it... Certainly will have learnt from it though!

Nobbi

Medal Winner
Visit site
Not guna lie that is a silly one buddy. I have it ingrained in me to take my practise swings before stepping into the bunker.

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Not guna lie that is a silly one buddy. I have it ingrained in me to take my practise swings before stepping into the bunker.

Yeah I couldn't agree more. Been playing since I was 9/10 (now 24) and I have never done it having been taught most of the simple rules as a youngster!

Nobbi

Medal Winner
Visit site
I would say it sounds like your first tee **** was to blame. I guess if you want to analyse what went wrong I would personally think about my reaction to losing the first.
My driving is shocking at the moment, Iv just got back into golf after 3 years out, I hit pretty long and my handicap should be around 14 once my cards are counted. Iv played around 6 rounds in the last 3 weeks. Overall game is getting there, but my first drives are pants, however; I seem to absolutely crush my second (3 off the tee) I think this is due to me being relaxed and knowing where my game is at the moment.

Nobbi

Medal Winner
Visit site
I would say it sounds like your first tee **** was to blame. I guess if you want to analyse what went wrong I would personally think about my reaction to losing the first.
My driving is shocking at the moment, Iv just got back into golf after 3 years out, I hit pretty long and my handicap should be around 14 once my cards are counted. Iv played around 6 rounds in the last 3 weeks. Overall game is getting there, but my first drives are pants, however; I seem to absolutely crush my second (3 off the too) I think this is due to me being relaxed and knowing where my game is at the moment.

Looks like I mispelt shot!!😂

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Looks like I mispelt shot!!��

Well my assessment of the situation was that I was in a good position off the tee. I still had a nice landing area if I had taken a 5i or 6i instead of trying to go for the green with the fairway wood which is what I was going for. This is in turn what led me to hacking out and then messing around in bunkers! Shocking!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Tough after playing so well but a lesson that will stand you in good stead for the future and hopefully when you're going well next time and put one in trouble, you'll find a way to get it out onto the short stuff again and move on. And I bet you don't take a practice swing in the sand again

Pin-seeker

Visit site
You obviously had a mare on the 18th,but just take it on the chin & think about the 17 before that got you a 4 shot lead.