A joke of a football club

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Look at my club flying high in the prem. man city aren't we the best. Hmmm can remember drivin down to wembley with me 11 yr old daughter in the the hope of buying a couple of tickets to see us play gillingham in the play off final which we scraped through.

oh how times have changed, can remember playing Grimsby in a cup game middle of the week and struggling til Ali bernabia put one in the top corner, at half time the realisation came that city played at a toilet of A ground called Maine road and we needed to move. The move of ground coincided with city's rise to the promised land.

what a mess of a club we were then. Point is that even the best fall from grace, ask any city Liverpool, forest, Leeds, Chelsea, and of course utd fan. The bad times make you appreciate the good.

good luck with the pool me duck.

Last edited:

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Just someone not blinkered by being a fan - and can see/remember how close to going under the Club was when he bought it.

Without Ashley we could have quite easily went the way of Leeds, Shepherd was a walking disaster and would have took us under to save his money. At least Ashley realised to recoup any of his money he needed us back in the prem and made that investment.

D

Deleted member 15344

Did Blackpool not get a £40m golden handshake when they were relegated?

That is a hell of a lot of money by Scottish football standards.

They do get a parachute payment from the prem when relegated which has nearly finished

Wages are considerably higher is England that Scotland

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Moving the thread back to Blackpool, it's another case where getting promoted to the Premier League almost certainly means the beginning of very lean times. It's very hard to stay in the Premiership, so owners feel they have to spend, spend and spend some more to have a chance. Majority of cases it doesn't work, ending up with millions spent on mercenaries who don't care about the club, forcing the club into major debt, and the hero manager that got the club promoted, long gone as he's been sacked in favour of a 'top name'. Within 6 months of promotion, the backbone of team is vastly different. Recent main examples are Wolves, Forest and Portsmouth.

Getting in the Premier isn't the panacea. Long gone are the days when you can challenge in the top league as a new team. Now, it's all about survival. Doesn't make for entertainment when you're being beaten most weeks. For my club, I was glad that we didn't win at Wembley as it keeps the club largely as it was and more pleasing as you see more 'wins' on the board.

I sympathise with Blackpool and hope that the heart of the club comes back soon.

The thing is that Blackpool didn't spend, that's why fans are so disgruntled. We only wanted reasonable investment on the playing side but all we got was a new hotel at the ground!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I believe Cardiff are likely to be the next example of what Piece is saying. The Parachute isn't generally sufficient to cover the 'cost' of going back down. Liecester the same next year? Even happened to Sheffield United a few years ago, though as a Hammer follower I won't mention how!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I believe Cardiff are likely to be the next example of what Piece is saying. The Parachute isn't generally sufficient to cover the 'cost' of going back down. Liecester the same next year? Even happened to Sheffield United a few years ago, though as a Hammer follower I won't mention how!

Its ok, Benitez got all the blame for that one.:mad:

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
The thing is that Blackpool didn't spend, that's why fans are so disgruntled. We only wanted reasonable investment on the playing side but all we got was a new hotel at the ground!

Owners do funny/strange/unpopular/illegal/selfish things once they see a big fat cheque wafted in their face. One example - we (Watford) were put in severe financial trouble as the club irresponsibly spent money lavishly it never had; the owners chose to spend the money from ITV Digital upfront. Of course, ITV Digital collapsed and the money never materialised.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been through it all with Leicester too Louise. Prem football then down to league 1! We've now made it back to the promised land. I'm really hoping the Thais don't knee jerk and sack Pearson early in the season, or at all! He's also said he will be keeping most of the team together and adding a few quality pieces to the jigsaw. I think this is the way, keep the morale instead of hiring some expensive high wage mercenaries who just disrupted the club. This happened a couple of years ago when Sven was given carte Blanche! It's taken a few years for Pearson to ship these out at a loss and restore the team with his usual signings of quality, young and hungry players.

I really hope all goes well for Blackpool but I'm afraid I can see you going the way we did like others before us in Wednesday, Bradford, forest and Leeds.

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Although people call Mike Ashley all the names under the sun, Newcastle United are on a good financial footing.

It's the current batch of players who lack organisation and a willingness to fight until the end. This can only be blamed on the lying disillusioned idiot himself, Mr Alan Pardew. He's a 1 tactic wonder and doesn't know how to change things depending on what team we are playing.

He talks about bringing in 5 players in the summer, I wouldn't give him a fiver

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
It seemed impossible but things are actually worse now than they were when I started this thread, with less than 4 weeks to the start of the new season, we have the grand total of EIGHT players registered.

D

Deleted member 18588

As a Birmingham City fan I can understand your suffering lou.

We may have the players in quantity but where is the quality. Nine new signings this summer (eight Bosmans, one loan) and the one thing they have in common is.................Who?????????

The sale of the Club appears no nearer than it was twelve months ago, talk about Keep Right On.

And on top of everything else my golf game is total garbage!

quinn

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It seemed impossible but things are actually worse now than they were when I started this thread, with less than 4 weeks to the start of the new season, we have the grand total of EIGHT players registered.

Don't worry Louise there's always somebody worse off than you, try being a coventry fan, you could be travelling 35 miles to watch a home game in front of 2000 fans, I wish we had 8 players :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Really? What are they doing for the rest? Loan signings, youth team? Seems madness but after what you've said before, perhaps not

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I've still got ma boots, Louise.

Ill take my match fee as a knock on Royal Lytham and some bourbon biscuits.